PDA

View Full Version : D70 Failure-Strange problem

skamaraju
03-13-2005, 01:05 AM
Suddenly today morning my D70 developed this strange problem. Viewfinder "LCD display" started to change brightness in steps, from normal to dim to dimmer every half a second. At the same time exposure parameters are also changing values going from high to low values in steps. Manual settings are working but the exposure meter in viewfinder display keeps showing again over and under exposure. I removed, changed batteries; tried
reset; removed lens and checked without lens.

I took an exposure; changed image optimization to 'Normal' from 'Custom'; tried to take a snap and this problem developed. Anyone had this problem?
Could it be new firmware bug? Could I revert my firmware to previous version? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sushil

D70FAN
03-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Suddenly today morning my D70 developed this strange problem. Viewfinder "LCD display" started to change brightness in steps, from normal to dim to dimmer every half a second. At the same time exposure parameters are also changing values going from high to low values in steps. Manual settings are working but the exposure meter in viewfinder display keeps showing again over and under exposure. I removed, changed batteries; tried

I took an exposure; changed image optimization to 'Normal' from 'Custom'; tried to take a snap and this problem developed. Anyone had this problem?
Could it be new firmware bug? Could I revert my firmware to previous version? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sushil

Time to send it back to Nikon. I had an intermittant overexposure problem on my D70 and after a while it just quit. Now it's fixed and I'm none the worse for wear. Nikon USA takes about 7 working days for a repair. I'm not sure about other repair stations.

soulren
03-14-2005, 10:14 PM
hi... I am from Malaysia. :)
Need to know if any of you got this problem with your D70, memory card slot keep blinking non-stop while other functions do no work.

fxdurieux
07-12-2006, 02:26 AM

Sushil

I also have this trouble, but my camera is not out of waranty, and it will cost at least 400$ to fix it :( Is there anyone who know what is the trouble, and how it can be fix ? (i'm a electronic engineer and can access at a lot of tools ...)

Thanks a lot

FX

Esoterra
07-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Time to send it back to Nikon. I had an intermittant overexposure problem on my D70 and after a while it just quit. Now it's fixed and I'm none the worse for wear. Nikon USA takes about 7 working days for a repair. I'm not sure about other repair stations.

George was your D70 under warranty? if not how much did it cost for you to fix it?? The most expensive part to replace was the sensor, but $400 is still a lot of money!

K1W1
07-12-2006, 03:36 PM
hi... I am from Malaysia. :)
Need to know if any of you got this problem with your D70, memory card slot keep blinking non-stop while other functions do no work.

I believe that is what is called BGLOD (Blinking Green LED Of Death).
It's a problem that aflicts early model D70 cameras and the only remedy is to sent it to Nikon for repair. They should do it under some sort of warranty as it's a well known issue relating to a faulty component that was installed in early mofdel D70 cameras. If they were cars a recall would have bben issued.

fxdurieux
07-12-2006, 10:48 PM
I believe that is what is called BGLOD (Blinking Green LED Of Death).
It's a problem that aflicts early model D70 cameras and the only remedy is to sent it to Nikon for repair. They should do it under some sort of warranty as it's a well known issue relating to a faulty component that was installed in early mofdel D70 cameras. If they were cars a recall would have bben issued.

Unfortunatly, my problem is not a BGLOD ... BGLOD is repair by Nikon free of charges, even out of waranty ... In my case, I can take under exposed pictures ... So, any idea ??? Is this a loose connector ??? Anything else trivial ???

Thank you

FX

K1W1
07-13-2006, 01:18 AM
Unfortunatly, my problem is not a BGLOD ... BGLOD is repair by Nikon free of charges, even out of waranty ... In my case, I can take under exposed pictures ... So, any idea ??? Is this a loose connector ??? Anything else trivial ???

Thank you

FX

I was not replying to your post. Only to the person I quoted who seemed to have been ignored or lost by others.

jimrodger
07-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Today, swapped over lenses (Yes, after switching off). When I powered back up there is a line on the viewfinder from the centre focus area vertically down to the bottom of the display. There also looks like little arcs coming from the line anti clockwise, for approx 1mm. If I swap to Closest subject, ie no focus brackets the line goes away. Any one with a similar problem, or heard of it before.

Cheers

jcon
07-13-2006, 02:10 PM
jimrodger, I remember reading other posts on this forum about the same thing, if I remember correctly its normal. If I am wrong, im sure I will be corrected. I would do a search on the forum for the previous threads, but I am too lazy.

Ray Schnoor
07-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Today, swapped over lenses (Yes, after switching off). When I powered back up there is a line on the viewfinder from the centre focus area vertically down to the bottom of the display. There also looks like little arcs coming from the line anti clockwise, for approx 1mm. If I swap to Closest subject, ie no focus brackets the line goes away. Any one with a similar problem, or heard of it before.

Cheers
This is normal. These are the electrical connections to the different focus areas. It is described on page 8 of your owners manual.

Ray.

jcon
07-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Jcon... jimrodger, I remember reading other posts on this forum about the same thing, if I remember correctly its normal. If I am wrong, im sure I will be corrected. I would do a search on the forum for the previous threads, but I am too lazy.

OK, I decided to search afterall, lol here is the thread....

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18266&highlight=lines+viewfinder

jimrodger
07-14-2006, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the assistance ( and for the relief) guys.

Half the time the problem is knowing what you're looking for in the search.

Cheers

Jim