PDA

View Full Version : new d70 blahs

fridgemagnets
08-17-2004, 10:32 PM
I bought a Nikon 880 p/s a few years ago and was pretty happy with the pictures I took with it, except when I tried to take pic's of my daughter in motion. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way, that because of shutter lag, start-up lag, etc., this type of digital camera is not best for taking pic's of children - they just move too much!
So, today I went out and invested in a Nikon D70. I love the look and feel of the camera, and the no-lag time. However, I did a comparison shot between the p/s 880 and the d70. I had the 880 in Scene mode set to Party/Indoors, and the D70 simply to Auto.
The difference astounded me. The 880 produced a very warm picture (with almost an orangy glow to it) where, by comparison, the D70 produced a very cool picture (more of a blue hue).
I prefered the pic. the 880 produced - by far. What I want to know is: can I somehow recreate this effect with the D70 by using manual settings? As many readers of this probably know, the D70 doesn't have a Part/Indoors mode. I figure that the designers probably figured that those who are willing to spend $1,300 on a camera probably know how to create any effect they want:)
Any education anyone can give me on this issue would be very appreciated! I almost feel like I wasted my money, although a little voice inside keeps telling me everything's going to be alright!

D70FAN
08-18-2004, 06:45 AM
I bought a Nikon 880 p/s a few years ago and was pretty happy with the pictures I took with it, except when I tried to take pic's of my daughter in motion. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way, that because of shutter lag, start-up lag, etc., this type of digital camera is not best for taking pic's of children - they just move too much!
So, today I went out and invested in a Nikon D70. I love the look and feel of the camera, and the no-lag time. However, I did a comparison shot between the p/s 880 and the d70. I had the 880 in Scene mode set to Party/Indoors, and the D70 simply to Auto.
The difference astounded me. The 880 produced a very warm picture (with almost an orangy glow to it) where, by comparison, the D70 produced a very cool picture (more of a blue hue).
I prefered the pic. the 880 produced - by far. What I want to know is: can I somehow recreate this effect with the D70 by using manual settings? As many readers of this probably know, the D70 doesn't have a Part/Indoors mode. I figure that the designers probably figured that those who are willing to spend $1,300 on a camera probably know how to create any effect they want:)
Any education anyone can give me on this issue would be very appreciated! I almost feel like I wasted my money, although a little voice inside keeps telling me everything's going to be alright!

Try using the indoor portrait mode for a general warming. Beyond that you may have to fiddle with the color settings a bit to get them to taste. Since I can't see the difference you are talking about it's hard to be specific, but I haven't seen the blue cast effect on my D70 in Auto or Program, except when I accidently left the white balance in incandecent mode outdoors.

Maybe send us some pictures and we can go from there.

fridgemagnets
08-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks George.
You're absolutely right - on a couple of counts.
I did try experimenting, shooting the same indoor view again but using different settings, such as, Portrait, Night Portrait, Night Landscape, etc.. And what do you know? I got better pic's than my 880 had given me :)
Boy, did I breathe a sigh of relief!
Well, you were right on that count. The other one is that as you stated that I won't be going back to a p/s camera any time soon. You're right - or a film camera for that matter. I've take a few pic's now with the D70 and wow, what a difference over p/s or scanning photo's in.
Thanks again for your help!

D70FAN
08-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks George.
You're absolutely right - on a couple of counts.
I did try experimenting, shooting the same indoor view again but using different settings, such as, Portrait, Night Portrait, Night Landscape, etc.. And what do you know? I got better pic's than my 880 had given me :)
Boy, did I breathe a sigh of relief!
Well, you were right on that count. The other one is that as you stated that I won't be going back to a p/s camera any time soon. You're right - or a film camera for that matter. I've take a few pic's now with the D70 and wow, what a difference over p/s or scanning photo's in.
Thanks again for your help!

Glad to hear it. I have gone back and looked at some pictures taken with my Nikon CP990 and wish that I could take them over again with the D70.

I still like the quality of 4800dpi film/slide scans from the Nikon FE and Minolta 3Si, but the D70 comes real close. Scanning prints is hit-and-miss depending on who printed the pictures. There is still some magic in that 25 year old Nikon FE, but I just haven't had time to go play with it.

Actually the "Once you go dSLR you never go back" statement is my signature, although since I bought the D70, I've used my CP990 once for a macro shot. So never say never...

Again, glad to help.

fridgemagnets
08-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Thanks again.
Like you, having worked with a p/s (Nikon 880 in my case) I wish that I could go back and retake some of the pic's with this new camera. One of my favorite recent projects was a collage I did of my daughter (I'll see if I can attach a copy below) - all elements taken with my 880. However, I slaved in Photoshop to sharpen the images and get the colors as vibrant as I could, but I know that if I'd done the shots with the D70 it would have been a superior picture.
By the way, I'm new to this mode of communication, but it's nice having access to people like yourself who obviously do know a lot about photography. Do you have any of your work on a website I could look at? I love looking at other people's work as it gives me ideas and I find it can be helpfull in developing skills in a subject.
Thanks again for your help.
Best,
Graham
PS - could't find a way to attach the pic...

fridgemagnets
08-19-2004, 11:48 PM
OK, I figured out how to attach a file - I think. OK, here goes...

D70FAN
08-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks again.
Like you, having worked with a p/s (Nikon 880 in my case) I wish that I could go back and retake some of the pic's with this new camera. One of my favorite recent projects was a collage I did of my daughter (I'll see if I can attach a copy below) - all elements taken with my 880. However, I slaved in Photoshop to sharpen the images and get the colors as vibrant as I could, but I know that if I'd done the shots with the D70 it would have been a superior picture.
By the way, I'm new to this mode of communication, but it's nice having access to people like yourself who obviously do know a lot about photography. Do you have any of your work on a website I could look at? I love looking at other people's work as it gives me ideas and I find it can be helpfull in developing skills in a subject.
Thanks again for your help.
Best,
Graham
PS - could't find a way to attach the pic...

Thanks, but I wouldn't want to try and make a living at photography. Knowing the cameras, and being able to produce art are 2 different things. But like golf, you always aspire to be better, which is why it's so darned addictive. Unlike golf, or most other hobbies, photography is something you can do almost anywhere and almost anytime. And it allows us the luxury of traveling back in time whenever we want.

The easiest way to post a picture is by referencing an outside web site, like smugmug, which John Reed suggested to me when I bought the D70.

I like the gallery format and post a few pictures that I like. It's a very reasonable cost, and a good backup site for favorites as well. It also doesn't use up Jeffs bandwidth, and allows you to post nearly full-sized pictures.

One of my recent favorites is "fingers of light" under the "Monsoon" Gallery.

Lightning can be a challenge. Especially in the dark.

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

fridgemagnets
08-20-2004, 09:39 PM
George,
I visited SmugMug and saved in my Favorites folder. I will probably join as it looks pretty simple and inexpensive. I enjoyed your SmugMug page and loved the "Finger's of Light" as well as the other pic's.
I'm a bit too tired to confront uploading pictures right now, otherwise I'd try SmugMug's 7 day free trial right now. However, when I have time and am not tired I will upload some and let you know.
Most of my pic's have been of my daughter as she's such a great (3 1/2 yr. old) model, and I just love taking her picture, but I do hope to broaden my photographic horizons now I have the D70, and organize some photographic day trips to experiment with other types of pic's - especially land and sea-scapes.
Thanks for your help,
Best,
Graham Hobbs

D70FAN
08-21-2004, 09:40 PM
George,
I visited SmugMug and saved in my Favorites folder. I will probably join as it looks pretty simple and inexpensive. I enjoyed your SmugMug page and loved the "Finger's of Light" as well as the other pic's.
I'm a bit too tired to confront uploading pictures right now, otherwise I'd try SmugMug's 7 day free trial right now. However, when I have time and am not tired I will upload some and let you know.
Most of my pic's have been of my daughter as she's such a great (3 1/2 yr. old) model, and I just love taking her picture, but I do hope to broaden my photographic horizons now I have the D70, and organize some photographic day trips to experiment with other types of pic's - especially land and sea-scapes.
Thanks for your help,
Best,
Graham Hobbs

We look forward to your galleries.

jaykinghorn
08-25-2004, 10:28 AM
To recreate the warm effect you had on your other camera I would try one of two things.

1) Experiment with different manual white balance settings. Daylight hovers around 6500K. Choosing a lower white balance will give you a slightly warmer tone. Try 6000K.

2) Buy an 81A filter for your lens. This is a slight orange filter. I've used it for years to compensate for the cool nature of Fuji films. If you want a stronger effect, you can try an 81B.

Best of luck,

Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging

sgrenald
09-22-2004, 04:27 PM
While I can see the value of colored filters on film cameras, wouldn't the auto-white balance of a DSLR negate most of the color cast from it?

-Seth