PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 18-125

D70FAN
08-17-2004, 09:18 PM
So far this lens looks like a keeper, and can rival the Nikkor 18-70. A couple more days of shooting should tell the story, but images are every bit as clear and saturated as the DX lens.

Here are some samples:

Jeff H
08-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Pictures look great George, I look forward to seeing more in the next few days. Perhaps I will look at that lens vs the 18-70 that comes with the kit.

D70FAN
08-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Pictures look great George, I look forward to seeing more in the next few days. Perhaps I will look at that lens vs the 18-70 that comes with the kit.

Thanks. The wind was blowing pretty hard on the flower shot, but it seems to have turned out very well. Posting 33K pictures made from 2.8MB originals may not show these in their best light. But I think you can see that even at 125mm (187mm converted) the shots are crisp. Again, as good or better than the Nikkor lens so far. Please let me know if you can see any flaws.

I will try to get some posted on Smugmug.

tksuther
08-18-2004, 07:46 AM
George: Is this the Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC? :confused:

D70FAN
08-18-2004, 10:05 AM
George: Is this the Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC? :confused:

Yes. Sorry I omitted some detail. But I think that this is the only 18-125mm that Sigma (or anyone else) makes.

So far I am pretty impressed with the optical quality. The pictures I took last night and posted turned out cleaner than some of my past (similar) shots with the Nikkor 18-70.

This lens is also a little more compact than the Nikkor, but maintains the f3.5 to 5.6 min. aperture. The filter mount is 5mm smaller at 62mm vs 67mm on the DX lens. So now the camera/lens combo fits in my LowePro TLZ Mini very easily, and the lens hood is almost identical as well, so it fits easily into the front pouch.

I'll be out shooting again tonight, but so far I'm pleased with the results.

tksuther
08-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the details. I look forward to seeing some (more) of your shots.

D70FAN
08-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the details. I look forward to seeing some (more) of your shots.

Will do. The Sigma 28-80 macro (in you listing) looks real interesting and would definately come in handy, as it would compliment the AF 50mm f1.8 in my kit. What is the minimum focal distance? And of course how do you like it?

tksuther
08-18-2004, 01:15 PM
George: The minimum focusing distance is 9.4" in macro mode. I haven't used this lens very much but so far I'm impressed. I have to admit when I asked the salesperson in the local camera shop to try it out, my expectations were low - primarily because of its low cost and lightweight (slightly cheap feeling) construction. I twisted it on a D70 and was surprised at the AF speed and pretty quiet operation. I went ahead and bought it figuring I've spent more money on items of much less value or another way to look at it is I'll skip going out to eat a couple times :rolleyes: . As I stated before, the MF ring is a little loose-feeling but I like the way it locks focus in the MF mode. The only thing a little on the negative side is it seems to produce slightly off-color skin tones. But that's not a big deal to me because I didn't buy it to use as a portrait lens. Anyway, IMO all-in-all you can't go wrong for the price and pleasing performance.

D70FAN
08-18-2004, 02:45 PM
George: The minimum focusing distance is 9.4" in macro mode. I haven't used this lens very much but so far I'm impressed. I have to admit when I asked the salesperson in the local camera shop to try it out, my expectations were low - primarily because of its low cost and lightweight (slightly cheap feeling) construction. I twisted it on a D70 and was surprised at the AF speed and pretty quiet operation. I went ahead and bought it figuring I've spent more money on items of much less value or another way to look at it is I'll skip going out to eat a couple times :rolleyes: . As I stated before, the MF ring is a little loose-feeling but I like the way it locks focus in the MF mode. The only thing a little on the negative side is it seems to produce slightly off-color skin tones. But that's not a big deal to me because I didn't buy it to use as a portrait lens. Anyway, IMO all-in-all you can't go wrong for the price and pleasing performance.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try the next time I have some "lens" money. But at ~$100 that may be sooner than later.

D70FAN
08-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Here are a couple of monsoon shots. It took a lot of frames to get the lightning shot, but hey, they're free. The lightning is ISO 1600 with no postprocessing. The Sigma 18-125 DC does everything I ask. Nice.

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/197044

tksuther
08-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Here are a couple of monsoon shots. It took a lot of frames to get the lightning shot, but hey, they're free. The lightning is ISO 1600 with no postprocessing. The Sigma 18-125 DC does everything I ask. Nice.

Wow the lightning shot is great!

D70FAN
08-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Well I'm happy to say that the Sigma 18-125 works very well. I'm now getting the shots that had to be cropped, and blown-up, with the Nikkor 18-70. The D70 seems to work well with the lens, as do I when my brain is fully engaged.

Yes, as with the Nikkor lens there are some areas where performance is not optimal, but eventually you learn what works and what doesn't.

To the question: Can it replace the 18-70 DX, the answer is yes.

Big-H
09-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Bought one to take on summer holidays to use on my D100...no problems at all. Only weakness is vignetting.

You also have to be careful with fitting filters for the same reason.

But other than that - it's perfect. I haven't taken it off since I put it on.

Sample images on my web site

www.howardleigh.me.uk

and go to Yorkshire Holidays.

And it's cheaper than the Nikon 17-70 lens.

howard

D70FAN
09-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Bought one to take on summer holidays to use on my D100...no problems at all. Only weakness is vignetting.

You also have to be careful with fitting filters for the same reason.

But other than that - it's perfect. I haven't taken it off since I put it on.

Sample images on my web site

www.howardleigh.me.uk

and go to Yorkshire Holidays.

And it's cheaper than the Nikon 17-70 lens.

howard

Glad to hear from a D100 user, and nice pictures. I assume that the bridge/bus picture has been post processed, or I'm going color blind. I've always liked the subtractive effect. If it's the later, then my B & W printing should improve.

Even with the ubiquitous UV-Haze filter, vignetting is very slight at 18mm. I tried to go back to the 18-70 Nikkor, but the extra reach of the Sigma DC is addictive. Since image quality is similar the Sigma is now my day-to-day lens and the Nikkor will probably be up for sale shortly.

Keep us posted.

caveman
09-28-2004, 07:55 PM
So does anyone know where I can get a non-petal hood for the Sigma 18-125 lens? I shoot in the desert and get sideways refractions from the white rocks. Thanks.

A shot from this weekend, Sigma 18-125 on a D-70 1/400th shutter. I know, I suck but I am an editor not a photographer!

http://www.xtremeoffroadmag.com/prp/jody.jpg

D70FAN
09-29-2004, 08:23 AM
So does anyone know where I can get a non-petal hood for the Sigma 18-125 lens? I shoot in the desert and get sideways refractions from the white rocks. Thanks.

A shot from this weekend, Sigma 18-125 on a D-70 1/400th shutter. I know, I suck but I am an editor not a photographer!

Actually that is a great shot. A little trick is to use some black electrical tape, wrapped around the petal hood, to fill in the gaps. I use heavy black craft paper for making a cone extender as well. It's not rocket science but is very effective.

bigjdtemp
12-16-2004, 04:21 PM
As this post will show, I am new to photography! I have a few questions regarding the Sigma 18-125, which I am considering buying, to pair with a Digital Rebel body...

Will the Sigma be "slower" in operation, either to zoom in and out, or to focus, than the kit lens that I could buy from Canon?

Will the Sigma be louder?

Will the Sigma be of the same quality?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

D70FAN
12-16-2004, 06:01 PM
As this post will show, I am new to photography! I have a few questions regarding the Sigma 18-125, which I am considering buying, to pair with a Digital Rebel body...

Will the Sigma be "slower" in operation, either to zoom in and out, or to focus, than the kit lens that I could buy from Canon?

Will the Sigma be louder?

Will the Sigma be of the same quality?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Zoom on a dSLR is manual, just like a film SLR, so it's as fast as you can twist the lens barrel.

Focus? No difference on the D70. Shouldn't be on the Canon either.

Louder? No.

Same Quality? Yes (I sold my Nikon 18-70 after using this lens).

Fear not. You will like the extra range, and photo quality of this Sigma.

Bon Foto.

bigjdtemp
12-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the reply !

I was worried about the lack of "USM" I hear is important. The Sigma just seems too good of a deal to pass up though.

Ant
12-17-2004, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I got a Sigma 50-500mm a couple of weeks ago and I've been very pleased with it. I've been looking to get a mid range lens too as the one I got with my D70 is the cheap 28-80mm G, which is OK but not great, and I want something a bit wider. Looks like the sigma 18-125 is just the thing.

D70FAN
12-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info. I got a Sigma 50-500mm a couple of weeks ago and I've been very pleased with it. I've been looking to get a mid range lens too as the one I got with my D70 is the cheap 28-80mm G, which is OK but not great, and I want something a bit wider. Looks like the sigma 18-125 is just the thing.

Wow. You will have the 27 to 750mm (28X zoom) range covered with 2 lenses. How cool is that?

Ant
12-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Wow. You will have the 27 to 750mm (28X zoom) range covered with 2 lenses. How cool is that?

27-750mm? I thought the Sigma 18-125mm was a DC lens, designed specifically for digital, it should be a genuine 18-125 on a digital...or am I mistaken? :confused:

D70FAN
12-17-2004, 06:19 PM
27-750mm? I thought the Sigma 18-125mm was a DC lens, designed specifically for digital, it should be a genuine 18-125 on a digital...or am I mistaken? :confused:

Yes you are mistaken. Lenses are still rated using 35mm film standards even though they are made for digital SLR's. Changing at this point would confuse the heck out of everyone.

Ant
12-18-2004, 01:37 AM
Really? Wow, I've been labouring under a misunderstanding of DX and DC lenses.:( I'm beginning to wonder what's the point of them. I thought the whole 'made specifically for digital' tag meant that you didn't get the 1.5 crop factor.

Oh well. I'll still get that sigma and have to live with a short end of 27mm :)

moziedk
01-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Yes you are mistaken. Lenses are still rated using 35mm film standards even though they are made for digital SLR's. Changing at this point would confuse the heck out of everyone.

Well actually, the reason that a "digital" lens is still rated 18-125mm is because it is a 18-125mm lens.

The focal length of the lens does not change just because we use a dSLR. But because the CCD of the dSLR is smaller than an 35mm film, it only captures a smaller part of the picture.

That's why the term "focal length multiplier" is not correct. The term "Field of view crop" is much more accurate.

The reason we translate 18mm into 29mm when we talk about dSLR is that most of us are used to the 35mm cameras of the past.

4walls
02-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Really? Wow, I've been labouring under a misunderstanding of DX and DC lenses.:( I'm beginning to wonder what's the point of them. I thought the whole 'made specifically for digital' tag meant that you didn't get the 1.5 crop factor.

Oh well. I'll still get that sigma and have to live with a short end of 27mm :)
The DC lens just means that the sharpness of the lens is designed only for the
size of the digital sensor. If you use that lens on a film camera, it is still a 18-125
lens, but the edges of the image will be vignetted.

BTW, I looked at the 18-125 and shot some pics beside the 18-70 Nikon kit lens.
I would have to say that the Nikon lens is way nicer. I got some really strange
pink hues from the Sigma lens (same camera, same memory card, same lighting
conditions). I eventually ended up with Nikon's 28-200mm f/3.5~5.6 ED lens. I
am very happy with that lens.

D70FAN
02-11-2005, 03:43 PM
The DC lens just means that the sharpness of the lens is designed only for the
size of the digital sensor. If you use that lens on a film camera, it is still a 18-125
lens, but the edges of the image will be vignetted.

BTW, I looked at the 18-125 and shot some pics beside the 18-70 Nikon kit lens.
I would have to say that the Nikon lens is way nicer. I got some really strange
pink hues from the Sigma lens (same camera, same memory card, same lighting
conditions). I eventually ended up with Nikon's 28-200mm f/3.5~5.6 ED lens. I
am very happy with that lens.

That is a problem I have not run into with the Sigma 18-125. I found the Sigma to be a little sharper center to edge than the Nikkor 18-70. Especially at f5 to f8. I have noticed some vignetting wide-open at 125mm, but that is easily cured in post processing.

In 1500 frames I have never seen a pink cast. Most of the shots I have posted on smugmug are using the Sigma. Here are some samples: