PDA

View Full Version : How to use a pan-tilt tripod

bascom
11-27-2012, 02:03 PM
This may be a dumb question but here goes. I bought a used camera on craiglist and it came with a Ravelli pan-tilt tripod. I haven't been able to figure out how to mount a camera on it. There is the screw in the middle of the head for screwing my camera's mount on to, but on the head there is a metallic piece a half-inch from the screw that interferes with my camera as I'm screwing it on. It's small and silver and I can press it down but it's hard to press down while screwing the camera on.

Can someone please tell me what is this metallic piece and how am I supposed to get around it to screw on the camera? Here is a photo of the head with the screw and metallic piece:

Anthony
11-27-2012, 02:10 PM
I would guess it is to locate the camera in some way although this would mean a special camera or an adaptor plate. It would then ensure the camera is located square to the tripod?

bascom
11-30-2012, 06:25 AM
I should have used a different title than 'How to use a pan-tilt tripod'. I wasn't asking how to control it, I was asking what the extra metal part on the head was. Someone in my photo club said it's for attaching a video camera so I could remove it for my still camera use, which I plan to do. Thanks for the replies.

TheWengler
12-05-2012, 04:24 AM
I would guess that there's a button that makes that pin go down

bascom
12-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks but I couldn't find a button that makes that pin go down. It was easy to pull out the pin and remove it.

hertsphoto
12-27-2012, 07:33 AM
I have one of these on my tripod, and it serves no purpose.