PDA

View Full Version : f-stop and Pan FZ-20

WhatsFonzieLike
03-11-2005, 08:36 PM
This is probably and idiotic question but since I am a beginner I need to ask it. Can f-stop be manipulated on the Panasonic FZ-20? I ask because I am considering buying it.

propwash
03-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes, you can set the f-stop on the FZ20. It has modes where you can set the shutter speed and let the camera choose the aperture (shutter priority), you can set the f-stop and let the camera select the shutter speed (aperture priority) or you can set both the f-stop and shutter speed (manual mode).

WhatsFonzieLike
03-11-2005, 09:54 PM
can the FZ-20 go up to f/22 or close? and for that matter can any consumer camera have an f-stop of 22?

ktixx
03-11-2005, 10:37 PM
can the FZ-20 go up to f/22 or close? and for that matter can any consumer camera have an f-stop of 22?

The Max F/Stop on the FZ-20 is f/8.0 To the best of my knowledge the smallest aperture available on a consmer point and shoot is f/11 (HP C200, Sony DSC 770, possibly others)
Ken

gary_hendricks
03-12-2005, 07:44 AM
This is probably and idiotic question but since I am a beginner I need to ask it. Can f-stop be manipulated on the Panasonic FZ-20? I ask because I am considering buying it.

Yes, you can manipulate the f-stop on the FZ20 to adjust the aperture. You can also adjust the shutter speed. The camera gives you aperture priority and shutter priority modes, in addition to a full manual option where aperture and shutter can be adjusted.

dwig
03-12-2005, 07:55 AM

Yes, but your would'nt want it. Stopping a lens down too far will severly reduce quality. When this becomes significant depends on the real focal length and the quality of the image sensor.

A perfectly made lens is its sharpest wide open. Stopping it down degrades resolution, its something known as "Daws Limit" and is a factor of the size of the wavelength of light. Its only when a lens is less than perfect (everything man made has flaws...) does stopping it down _sometimes_ improve sharpenss.

With todays "consumer" digicams, the focal lengths are quite short making stopping down more than about f/8 undesirable. Quality would suffer too much. There is also the problem of accurately creating such small apertures (f/8 on a 5mm FL lens is 0.625mm or 0.025") quickly with fast moving iris/shutter blades. This places another practical limit on a reasonably priced camera.