PDA

View Full Version : Tried out a Rebel XT today...Pics attached.

jamison55
03-11-2005, 11:49 AM
So my local BB had a new Rebel XT, and I happened to have a memory card... here are my initial thoughts:

This thing is small. The comparison pictures don't really do it justice, when you hold it in your hand it feels almost dainty compared to the 300D, and almost flimsy compared to the 20D. In fact my old DReb feels like a tank by comparison. I have mixed feelings about the size and weight. With my big hands, I think I'd find myself really cramped if I had to shoot with this thing all day, and I really wish it felt a little more solid...but on the other hand, I could mount my Canon 50/1.8 on it and walk around for days on end without ever knowing it was there, and the portable size makes it easy to pack for a vacation.

As for performance (I only had about 10 minutes to play with it), the Digic II ensures that it turns on instantly, no more 3 second wait! The controls are a little different than the DReb, with a few more of them located in the menu, rather than on the Info LCD. You like what you are used to, but I prefer the control scheme of the original DReb.

Most important, however, is image quality. I currently shoot with both my 20D and DReb, and was considering replacing my old DReb with one of the new ones if the high ISO noise control was anything like the 20D. Unfortunately, I personally found it to be a bit lacking in this area. Granted, I put it through a torture test - ISO 1600 under "big-box" florescent lighting - but after shooting them side by side in AV/f5.6 each with the WB set to Auto the 20D has the clear edge on noise control. I think the XT still beats the original DReb, however, as the noise seems finer to my eye, and would be less noticible at print sizes.

Just my 2c, I wish I had made the sales guy pull out the original DReb so I could do a 3 way comparison, but here are 100% crops from each camera:

DReb XT: http://www.fphoto.org/jamiewexler//drebxt
20D: http://www.fphoto.org/jamiewexler//20d

So for me, if I were choosing between the 20D and the XT, I would probably have to lean towards the 20D because of the more solid build, better control scheme, and better low light performance. If I were choosing between the DReb 1 and the XT, it would be a little tougher. I like the build quality and control layout of the original DReb a little better, but the XT would definitely win in my book because of the instant startup, FEC, and (slightly) better image quality. The real bottom line, you can't go wrong with any of the three!

PS - There is one area in which the XT stands head and shoulders above the 20D...Shutter Sound. The XT is whisper quiet while my 20D sounds like I am spanking a robot.

Mr. Peabody
03-11-2005, 05:44 PM
I went with my buddy to check them out yesterday, and he bought one. I didn't care for the cut down size of the XT. I thought it ruined the looks of it. They have the XT available in silver or black. The fast processor was a major plus for the XT. I like the looks of the original rebel better though. If I had to choose one, I would get the XT because it is much faster than the original rebel. Shutter lag was also better than the old model.

I like my 20D best though. Wouldn't trade it for anything. BTW, that loud shutter sound is music to my ears.

My buddy ended up paying $849 for the XT Kit at Best Buy.

ReF
03-12-2005, 02:15 AM
I went with my buddy to check them out yesterday, and he bought one. I didn't care for the cut down size of the XT. I thought it ruined the looks of it. They have the XT available in silver or black. The fast processor was a major plus for the XT. I like the looks of the original rebel better though. If I had to choose one, I would get the XT because it is much faster than the original rebel. Shutter lag was also better than the old model.

I like my 20D best though. Wouldn't trade it for anything. BTW, that loud shutter sound is music to my ears.

My buddy ended up paying $849 for the XT Kit at Best Buy.

shutter lag... or focusing speed? shot to shot speed? burst mode? i didn't think there were any real percieveable shutter lag differences between D-slrs.

HUGE differences there jamison. thanks for posting those examples!

gary_hendricks
03-12-2005, 07:34 AM
The Canon Rebel XT is a serious threat to the Nikon D70. It almost every major feature, however just slightly slower rapid fire frames per second, but with updated technology. Most important was the 8 Megapixel and the Digi II processing capability. Carrying the tradition the 300, with updated and innovative improvements across the board, I think purchasing a Rebel XT is an easy decision to make. :)

Mr. Peabody
03-12-2005, 01:33 PM
shutter lag... or focusing speed? shot to shot speed? burst mode? i didn't think there were any real percieveable shutter lag differences between D-slrs.

HUGE differences there jamison. thanks for posting those examples!

I talking about shutter lag. From the time I depress the shutter button until the time the camera takes the picture. I think I'm using the right terminology. I had a Digital Rebel. The shutter lag was kinda slow. When taking action shots such as a baseball player pitching or batting, I would have to time my shots with the shutter button because of the amount of shutter lag.

With my 20D, I don't have to do that. There is very little shutter lag. Almost none really. We had a baseball game today, and I took a ton of pics. I didn't have to time any of the shots to try and get the action photo that I wanted either.

When playing around with the XT, I noticed that it's shutter lag wasn't as bad as the Rebel. It still wasn't as quick as the 20D though.

I hope I'm making sense.

Norm in Fujino
03-13-2005, 08:19 AM
I talking about shutter lag. From the time I depress the shutter button until the time the camera takes the picture. I think I'm using the right terminology. I had a Digital Rebel. The shutter lag was kinda slow. When taking action shots such as a baseball player pitching or batting, I would have to time my shots with the shutter button because of the amount of shutter lag. . . When playing around with the XT, I noticed that it's shutter lag wasn't as bad as the Rebel. It still wasn't as quick as the 20D though.

According to a Japanese review, shutter lag on the XT is 0.1 second, and they say that's a 20% improvement over the old Rebel.

vjack
05-29-2005, 12:02 PM
If it wasn't for the smaller size, I would have already bought an XT. I still might, but I hate the thought of getting an uncomfortable camera. I did a comparison of the old Rebel and the XT. The old one was a perfect fit; the XT was cramped. Now I might have to look for a 20D.

Rhys
05-29-2005, 05:25 PM
I found the picture taken with the XT on Jamison55's site looked very noisy. I don't know what the setting was, however.

I love the 8 megapixel idea. I agree that for most images, 6mp (and even 3mp) is fine. For a 10 x 8 or 8.5 x 11, 3 megapixels is sufficient. Since 8 megapixels is available, I feel it's worth getting 8. I also like the small size and lighter weight of this camera. I feel it's worth getting an EOS K2 as a backup.

TheObiJuan
05-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Howdy Jamie!

The 350D's seems to be a lil underexposed compared to the 20D. The extra red in the image also increases the noise look. I would have liked to see these in custom wb by shooting a white card though.

The 20D's shutter is addicting though, I sometimes miss the 350D, but at my wedding yesterday, when I was taking pics, the 20D created order. People would shut up and stare at the camera when they heard the metal monster slapping away. A guest had a p&s with a faux shutter sound, it was too cute. :p

eagle17
05-29-2005, 10:58 PM
does't the 20D have better metering ? that could explain the descrepincies in the photos. to do a true test you need to use manual mode with controlled lighting and a good fixed mount. I can try a few side by sides for you guys if you would like.

TheObiJuan
05-29-2005, 11:21 PM
I can say at looking at over 200 prints at various sizes, and many at ISO 1600, both the 20D and 350D are very similar. I know which is which because I took them, but others may not be able to tell.

MatH
05-30-2005, 03:54 AM
Small size of the body is a mayor plus for me, as I'll be using camera in caves where it can get pretty tight and I don't think I'll be shooting so much that my knuckles would hurt because of it's small size.
On the other side I'm not sure about material and build quality of the body. Heard some complaints aboit it being plastic nad feeling cheap. Is it true or are those statements based on personal preferences?

jamison55
05-31-2005, 09:19 AM
Hey guys. I posted this the first week the xt came out, and I was trying to decide whether to replace my 300D "backup" with an XT. Had 10 minutes with both cameras in a local Best Buy...not a scientific test at all! Since then there have been many exhaustive reviews on the XT. Please don't take my 'lil test too seriously. It was the size of the XT more than anything that caused to to decide to hold on to my DReb until I am ready to purchase a second 20D...

TheObiJuan
05-31-2005, 01:34 PM
the plastic seem solid compared to point and shoots, but cheap compared to canon 1D series cameras.

The plastic is built tough and will take a beating.

Rhys
05-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Hey guys. I posted this the first week the xt came out, and I was trying to decide whether to replace my 300D "backup" with an XT. Had 10 minutes with both cameras in a local Best Buy...not a scientific test at all! Since then there have been many exhaustive reviews on the XT. Please don't take my 'lil test too seriously. It was the size of the XT more than anything that caused to to decide to hold on to my DReb until I am ready to purchase a second 20D...

I'm more inclined to take the XT with a K2 film camera as a backup.

jamison55
05-31-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm more inclined to take the XT with a K2 film camera as a backup.

I shot my first 4 weddings with a DReb and a EOS650 as a backup. Never had to shoot a frame of film... These days I carry and shoot with both my 20D and Dreb (usually use the 20D for flash and the DReb for available light).