PDA

View Full Version : S1 IS - Max CF Card Size

redd
08-17-2004, 04:56 PM
I just got the Powershot S1 IS as my first digital camera and am loving it!

I plan on doing a fair bit of video with the S1 so I was wondering if anyone knew what is the max size compact flash card I can use with the S1 IS. Will it support a 2GB CF card?

Also, is "Transcend" a decent brand of CF products to use, especially in terms of reliability? Does Trancend's 45X rating need to have some sort of specific camera support (like Lexar CF cards) or does it work at 45X for all cameras?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

redd

John_Reed
08-17-2004, 05:59 PM

I plan on doing a fair bit of video with the S1 so I was wondering if anyone knew what is the max size compact flash card I can use with the S1 IS. Will it support a 2GB CF card?

Also, is "Transcend" a decent brand of CF products to use, especially in terms of reliability? Does Trancend's 45X rating need to have some sort of specific camera support (like Lexar CF cards) or does it work at 45X for all cameras?

reddFrom all I've read, it isn't clear that Canon supports anything over 1GB cards. You might call their customer service or tech support and ask them directly. I've heard nothing negative about Transcend's cards, and as CF cards are supposed to conform to a universal standard, it should work as advertised for the Canon too, although I saw something that indicated that maybe the Canon couldn't benefit from anything > 1MB/sec? Maybe it departs from that limitation in the movie mode.

Rhys
08-17-2004, 06:53 PM
From all I've read, it isn't clear that Canon supports anything over 1GB cards. You might call their customer service or tech support and ask them directly. I've heard nothing negative about Transcend's cards, and as CF cards are supposed to conform to a universal standard, it should work as advertised for the Canon too, although I saw something that indicated that maybe the Canon couldn't benefit from anything > 1MB/sec? Maybe it departs from that limitation in the movie mode.

I believe that as the S1 takes microdrives, it will take cards of greater than a gigabyte. I don't posess such a thing as a CF card of over 256mb to test it with, however.

At 2.5mb per picture as a max size, a 1GB card would store 400. How much more would you risk on a single device?

John_Reed
08-17-2004, 09:24 PM
I believe that as the S1 takes microdrives, it will take cards of greater than a gigabyte. I don't posess such a thing as a CF card of over 256mb to test it with, however.

At 2.5mb per picture as a max size, a 1GB card would store 400. How much more would you risk on a single device?Rhys, you must've missed his original post, where he expressed a desire to shoot more movies than could be contained on a 1GB card. I can't find any spec limits, but I don't see anyone at Canon or Steves-Digicams site talking anything more than 1GB in the slot. Does it say somewhere in your manual if there is a size limit or not?

bka314
08-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Rhys, you must've missed his original post, where he expressed a desire to shoot more movies than could be contained on a 1GB card. I can't find any spec limits, but I don't see anyone at Canon or Steves-Digicams site talking anything more than 1GB in the slot. Does it say somewhere in your manual if there is a size limit or not?

The manual doesn't speak about any size limit.
And, If the limit would be 1GB anyway, then why to stress that a movie can't be longer than 1GB? In that case it would be obvious (no more space :-)

And, I've read about people using 2.2 GB microdrive with the S1:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=9854695

Bye

redd
08-18-2004, 09:27 AM
thanks for all the info guys! just to be safe i went out and got a transcend 45X 1GB CF card and its working great. takes multi frame shots without any noticeable slowdown after many frames and works a treat for videos too!

redd

Karen
08-20-2004, 04:59 PM

redd

On dpreview.com under canon forums there is thread with the comparison of all th cf cards

Karen
08-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Go to dpreview.com under canon forum a very large following with many threads for tips and tricks and now a compatibility chart for CF cards lots of info.

Karen
08-21-2004, 06:53 AM
go to dpreview.com... canon forum....search chart update

speedrck
08-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi
According to Steve's Digicams reveiw site the S1 IS worked fine with the 4Gig Hiatchi mico drive.
Ray :)

buzz
08-26-2004, 04:26 PM
I have had mine for about a month now and I love it. I thought all CF cards were supposed to be standardized too. The Kingston 512 -S high speed card I got didnt work half the time and when it did, it would just freeze up shortly after taking pictures and trying to view them. I sent it back and got the Ritek 512 high speed card and it has worked great. I don't know if I just got a bad card or the Kingston one has issues. Anybody else using a Kingston card in a S1 IS?

lowkl
08-26-2004, 11:52 PM
I use my S1 with a Kingston "high speed" 256 CF card. For photos, no problem, but for videos, I have problems when running at the highest quality settings. What happens is that after about 20 seconds I get a flashing red signal then after a few seconds the video stops. This is especially true when the subject matter is moving all the time, eg. when panning.

For whatever video is successfully captured, I think the quality is fine. However, I haven't done a "scientific" comparison with other cards, as this is my one and only!

If I were to buy another CF, I doubt I would buy Kingston again.

Rhys
08-27-2004, 04:10 AM
I use my S1 with a Kingston "high speed" 256 CF card. For photos, no problem, but for videos, I have problems when running at the highest quality settings. What happens is that after about 20 seconds I get a flashing red signal then after a few seconds the video stops. This is especially true when the subject matter is moving all the time, eg. when panning.

For whatever video is successfully captured, I think the quality is fine. However, I haven't done a "scientific" comparison with other cards, as this is my one and only!

If I were to buy another CF, I doubt I would buy Kingston again.

No problems here with Sandisk. I'll have to check on my other branded cards - fuji, lexar, danelec etc.

tc17
08-28-2004, 07:13 AM
I remember reading somewhere that videos are limited to 1gb. But not sure.

Here was a list that has been compiled of tested cards.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=9661164

Rhys
08-28-2004, 08:13 AM
I remember reading somewhere that videos are limited to 1gb. But not sure.

Here was a list that has been compiled of tested cards.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=9661164

Videos are limited to 1GB according to the manual.

It seems the camera can take almost any size of CF card although nobody seems to have tried much over 1GB - probably because it's an amateur price and the cards have professional prices :P

It works with my
Dane-Elec 128mb
Lead Data 64mb
Fujifilm 64mb
Lexar 16mb,128mb
Sandisk 128mb,256mb
Canon 32mb.

Having said that, I normally use 256mb - for videos etc.