PDA

View Full Version : Choosing between the A70 and the A75

firewire
07-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Hello
I'm in the process of deciding the subject. On the surface it seems like a no brainer (they seem identical and the A75 is $50.00 less) but there are a few issues. When I do side by side comparisons (and I've done this on several sites) they indicate that the A75 does not have Auto - Focus. My question is: does anybody know for a fact whether or not the A75 has an Auto - Focus? Further, would it pay to go all the way and get the A80? Thanks :confused:

Nick
07-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Believe me, the A75 has auto-focus; no one would buy it without.

To quote Jeff's review in regards to the A75 and it's focus related whatchimacallit:

Press the shutter release button halfway and the camera generally focuses in less than a second. It will take a little longer if the AF-assist lamp is used, or if the AF system needs to "hunt". The AF illuminator helped the A75 focus well in low light.

The camera uses Canon's 9-point AiAF autofocus system (versus 5-point on the A70). The camera picks one of nine areas of the frame to focus on (you can't manually select the focus point like on some cameras). If you want to use the center of the frame to focus on, you can do that too via the menu system.

:)

Robert
07-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Believe me it is a no brainer even if there were no price difference between the A70 and A75. As a previous message states the A75 actually has improved autofocusing. The nine zone versus the five zone focusing wins hands down. The larger 1.8" lcd viewfinder is also a big improvement and the optional time/date imprint is a boon to scrapbookers who are mainly interested in snapshots. Unless you need prints larger than 8x10 inches and have a need for the movable lcd viewfinder there is very little to be gained by going with the A80.

For what it's worth you'll find the best price for the A75 at Newegg.com. Note that Newegg has an excellent rating at Resellers.com.

Mike in Michigan
07-12-2004, 06:54 AM
:( Does anyone else out there feel that this camera takes very soft pictures? I have this look, iam always sharpening them in photoshop elements, waht are the known problems with this camera everyone is talking about?

Jake Conner
07-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Are you sure the low sharpening photo effect isn't on?

Robert
07-15-2004, 09:16 AM
:( Does anyone else out there feel that this camera takes very soft pictures? I have this look, iam always sharpening them in photoshop elements, waht are the known problems with this camera everyone is talking about?

Mike I've had no problems with my A75 with regards to soft photos. But I should point out that the folks at Imaging Resourse in their review of the A75 mention that they had some minor issues with soft photos that they had not encountered with it's predecessor the A70. You may want to check out their review.

I have a couple of complaints with the A75 but they are minor and not related to photo quality.

Hadoken
07-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Well, I'm in the reverse situation, I can get the A70 for $200 and the A75 for $250 with a 128mb card. So it's more like $200 for the A70 and $225 for the A75.

I've read a few user reviews where they say the A75 has a somewhat hard time focusing, is that true? I've found no such evidence of that in professional reviews, but many user reviews say it.

If you could get the A70 for $25 cheaper, would you?

Binliner
07-31-2004, 10:16 PM
No I wouldnt get it for the discount. I was in the same position and was looking to save 70 dollars. I realize that this seems like a lot of monet but im not crazy. Im going to use this camera for a long time and if that extra bit of money makes my experience better then its worth it.

I have not had any problems focusing with the A75, in fact its great. If you take fast shots without pushing the shutter button down half way (to ensure proper focusing) you will still get well focused pictures (at least from my experience). Im still new to the camera but it will also select a number of points to focus on and if you do hold the button half way down these points will be displayed on the lcd for preview. I do this when focusing on objects that are farther away and not near the centre in order to ensure that they are what is focused on.

Ausin
08-01-2004, 05:08 AM
Don't waste your tiime on A7x, A80 prices are dropping fast. A80 has much bigger CCD - different class of image quality - and more features. Just got one myself last week.... highly recommended.

Ausin

Hadoken
08-01-2004, 07:02 AM
I wish that were an option, but unless the A80 drops to $200-$225 I can't afford it (still in highschool).

Binliner
08-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Dont pine over the A80, the A85 will be worthwhile when its available but the A80 is probably worst than the A75 for features (excluding the 4megapixels, which you wont need unless your doing larger format anyways).

zoodany
08-02-2004, 04:34 AM
:( Does anyone else out there feel that this camera takes very soft pictures?

Look at my pictures at www.zoodany.it I have tken them with my Canon A75..

zoodany..
www.zoodany.it