PDA

View Full Version : New E-M5

raven15
02-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Ok, who wants one? It looks really tempting to me. It is exactly the E-3 in an E-410 body I wanted when I bought an Olympus camera four years ago. That being said... I might start with an E-PM1 instead, since it is small and cheap, the same rationale that led me to the E-410.

Already got the lenses figured out too :).
Samyang 7.5mm fisheye,
Pinwide 11mm pinhole
Panasonic 14mm pancake

These are the rest of the lenses I bought my E-410 to get, unfortunately they were never made for it.

Followed eventually by a whole bunch of other expensive lenses. The "holy trinity" primes look good.

laydros
02-08-2012, 07:12 AM
I put in a pre-order with Amazon for one (it can be cancelled for quite a while, but holds my place in line).

I'm seriously considering selling my 5D and glass to switch to this as my primary camera. Big drop in sensor size, but I'm thinking this may be better for the type of shooting I do. Olympus has the bright and wide primes you can't get on DX or EF-S, and all the new stuff my 5D doesn't have.

For me it's the digital version of my Nikon FE I have wanted.

kgosden
02-08-2012, 07:57 AM
I am still on the fence on EVF's. Everyone I have tried has either made me feel like I have motion sickness or given me a headache. I think it has been the poor refresh rates like on old CRT monitors. Also, while the current lens selection for m4/3rds is far better than other brands they are still 1-2 stops slower than the standard 4/3rd's. Putting my bigger glass on the small body just doesn't buy me enough yet. The final image performance might change my tune, the E5 is a lot to carry around. I can just picture a little m4/3rds body stuck on the back of the 50-500 Bigma...

raven15
02-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I put in a pre-order with Amazon for one (it can be cancelled for quite a while, but holds my place in line).

I'm seriously considering selling my 5D and glass to switch to this as my primary camera. Big drop in sensor size, but I'm thinking this may be better for the type of shooting I do. Olympus has the bright and wide primes you can't get on DX or EF-S, and all the new stuff my 5D doesn't have.

For me it's the digital version of my Nikon FE I have wanted.

That's pretty drastic!

I considered a Canon 5D or 5DII because I have always wanted a huge sensor, and they can be purchased with three primes for the same price as a micro 4/3 camera and three primes (if the 5D camera bodies are used). Then I saw that a m4/3 camera and six lenses weighs the same as a 5D body alone. That sorta ended the debate.

laydros
02-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Also, while the current lens selection for m4/3rds is far better than other brands they are still 1-2 stops slower than the standard 4/3rd's. Putting my bigger glass on the small body just doesn't buy me enough yet.

Sorry, not quite sure what you are referring to. You mean 1-2 stops slower in terms of high ISO performance of the bodies, or 1-2 stops slower in terms of depth of field, or that the lenses on offer are slower (like the lack of f/2.8 primes?)

I'm a very heavy prime user so the 12/2, 20/1.7, 45/1.8 feels like a great fast, light, and reasonably priced kit to me. On Canon without spending 3x the money, I'm left with something like f/2.8 on the wide end, and a pretty lame 50/1.8, or the overpriced for fake USM 50/1.4.

raven15
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I am still on the fence on EVF's. Everyone I have tried has either made me feel like I have motion sickness or given me a headache. I think it has been the poor refresh rates like on old CRT monitors. Also, while the current lens selection for m4/3rds is far better than other brands they are still 1-2 stops slower than the standard 4/3rd's. Putting my bigger glass on the small body just doesn't buy me enough yet. The final image performance might change my tune, the E5 is a lot to carry around. I can just picture a little m4/3rds body stuck on the back of the 50-500 Bigma...
I admit I haven't tried any new EVf's, or any old ones really. CRT monitors also make me dizzy if the refreash rate is less than 85 Hz. So that's a big unkown.

The micro zoom lenses are nowhere near the 4/3 zoom lenses. In fact, with primes or zooms, anywhere the two systems overlap the 4/3 version of the lens is invariably better (only exception is the 25mm pancake). I still want the micro 4/3 small prime lenses though. I always wanted them on 4/3 too.

kgosden
02-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Laydros,

Not sure why you are confused about my reference to the lenses being slower. I do not care about the potential, and yet unproven, ability of the camera to shot at higher ISO's. That does not make a lens any brighter. And you are correct that the primes are certainly fast, but there really are few primes in the standard 4/3rd's range for comparison. I was really referencing the lenses that offer a nearly one-to-one match to standard 4/3rds; 12-50 3.5-6.3 vs. 12-60 2.8-4 for example. And nothing comes close in the telephoto range.

Primes are nice. And back in my film days when zooms were young, and computer aided optical design nonexistent, they handily beat zooms in image quality. But The trade off is certainly much less than it was 30 years ago. This is especially true if you stay away from lenses that try to span wide to telephoto ranges. I don't think you can argue with the image quality of the 7-14. Now if you want wide open telephoto performance then a prime is probably still your best choice. However, even there m4/3rds is not offering anything close to the super high grade Olympus telephotos, prime or zoom.

Phill D
02-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Looks like great camera to me. But it really depends how it performs with the 4/3ds lenses that would tip the balance for me. From what I'm reading it doesn't seem to be any better than the Pens in this area which would be a dissapointment. The other dissapointment is the stupidly high prices it will sell for in the UK...!!!

raven15
02-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Alright. I am officially into micro 4/3. I established lowest retail prices for the items I was interested in, then price goals, then beat that and got the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens for $188 in new condition, free shipping! Officially the cheapest lens I have ever purchased (I probably could have got cheaper, but oh well). Now, hopefully I can find a hyper-cheap (preferably banged up to spare me the trouble) E-PM1 soon.

Back to the original topic, apart from the weather sealing and IBIS, my favorite thing about the EM5 is the ability to hit the shutter button once to start a long exposure, and then the LCD refreshes at your specified interval to show you the progress of the exposure, so you can then hit the shutter button again when it is done. Hopefully the sensor is good enough for such long exposures. Will be great for night, strong ND grad, or pinhole shots.

Phill D
02-21-2012, 10:23 PM
From the comparisons I've seen it looks to be great at high iso too. A real step forward for Olympus. It seems like they aren't using Panasonic sensors any more either. Can't wait to get to play with it at the Focus exhibition in a few weeks. I suspect it's going to be very busy.

kgosden
02-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Phil,

Hard to say on the sensor. It seems to me that Olympus has generally had better noise handling algorithms than Panasonic for the same sensor. Panasonic seemed to always be one up on the auto-focus speed until recently.

Phill D
03-07-2012, 11:05 PM
I had a brief play with an E-M5 at the Focus on Imaging exhibition on Sunday and I have to say it seemed a great little camera. Smaller than I'd expected it to be but very nice to handle with a substantial thumb grip on the back that for me made all the difference. The EVF was very bright and responsive. AF seemed really fast with the new 12-50 kit lens. That lens has some fancy zoom operation modes too. Not sure if these will be genuinely useful though. Rear lcd is very nice and clear, the guy on the stand gave us a really good demo of the art filters and their operation which seemed to be something that is so easy to do that most people would probably have a bit of fun with them at some time. The Oly guy also produced a 4/3's adaptor as well so I was able to try my PanLeica 14-150 on it and it seemed to work pretty well. AF was a bit slower than on a 4/3's camera and a lot slower than the kit lens but even in the not ideal light of the exhibition it did work OK. Overall I was impressed but just couldn't quite pursuade myself to part with all that cash even though the show offers were really good. Free two part grip, free case, free extra battery and a free grip strap a total of 450 of free extras. If they had thrown in the 4/3 adaptor instead of the case I'd have definitely given in and splashed out but as it was I didn't.

kgosden
03-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Phill,

I will have to check one out when they get to a store. I am interested in the EVF quality as that is the one thing i have not been able to use happily on superzooms.

raven15
03-08-2012, 09:58 PM
It is good that your new lens (you finally got one huh?) works decently, partly because it's a big investment, but also because by reputation it is the best superzoom lens ever, by a wide margin. Do you feel that way about it too, by the way?

At this point I cannot justify an EM5. Maybe next year. I was only planning on getting a flash and some filters for the entire year, but then went and got an EPM1 as a small, inconspicuous travel camera. It is awesome, but pretty extravagant already, to me anyhow.

Phill D
03-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Raven the lens was a big investment for me but I got it secondhand for 500 which is less than half the new price so I just couldn't resist it. To be honest it's the best thing I've bought and never comes off the camera. I've not really done it justice yet but it seems to do everything pretty well and fits in with me being too lazy to change lenses. One thing I do notice is that as the E510 tends to blow highlights and the panleica lens is more contrasty than the kit lenses I have to be even more careful with the highlights. I tend to shoot at -0.3 most of the time now. I've just sold my E620 & 18-180 so broke even financially too. I can start saving for an EM5 now. From what I've seen the high iso looks awesome for an olympus camera.

Militaris
03-16-2012, 02:20 PM
I was nearly ready to purchase a Canon 60d then the Olympus OMD was announced, and I am fairly certain its the ideal hiking camera for me. The quality of the photos look great, the body is compact and weather resistant. Just waiting to see the local price of the camera.