PDA

View Full Version : XT Review

Rex914
03-10-2005, 11:12 PM
The XT isn't officially out yet, but it's being sold in mainstream stores already. Somebody bought one. Read the lengthy review here. I think there's no doubt now about how good this camera really is. If you're considering one, make sure you like its size and ergonomics (the only real turn off for some) and plunge for it. You should have NO qualms about performance, features, and image quality anymore. It's no 20D, but what do you want for $900?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=12585412

stonehill
03-11-2005, 06:27 PM
My husband just picked mine up from our local photo store. They only got 4 in. I went with the kit lens for now. Can't wait to get the battery charged.

gary_hendricks
03-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I want one! :)

D70FAN
03-12-2005, 08:37 AM
The XT isn't officially out yet, but it's being sold in mainstream stores already. Somebody bought one. Read the lengthy review here. I think there's no doubt now about how good this camera really is. If you're considering one, make sure you like its size and ergonomics (the only real turn off for some) and plunge for it. You should have NO qualms about performance, features, and image quality anymore. It's no 20D, but what do you want for $900?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=12585412

One caveat: Make sure that you try the D70 (same price) at the same time. You may be surprised at the difference. Ergonomics play a large part in actually using the camera for more than a point-n-shoot. Even at 6.1MP the D70 is a worthy adversary to not only the 350D, but the 20D as well. ;)

Rex914
03-12-2005, 09:52 AM
I didn't quite realize how important ergonomics play in this segment in the market. For point and shoots, especially smaller ones, it's hardly a consideration since there's hardly any leeway (because of space limitations and design issues). I guess when you are given more space to work with, people expect companies to make better use of it.

I still insist though that Canon chose to make the XT small and light to coax high end point and shooters to jump on the SLR bandwagon (knowing that the high end sub-$1000 p&s market would eventually doom itself as we are beginning to see today), hence the more point and shoot like feel to it. They wouldn't expect these people to mount huge, heavy lenses but rather the compact ones. People who wanted a "real SLR" would have to jump up to the 20D. That's just what I think Canon's rationale was in developing the D Rebel series.