PDA

View Full Version : little brother and lens for xt

stonehill
03-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Wow, I just read the LONG post I had originally started on rebel vs pentax slr's. Anyway George is right about "moot point" The rebel xt it is!

Here's my question...

(small and light all around everyday lens)? Should I nix the kit lens and apply the 100.00 towards something else?

I'm mostly taking pics of my kids, who have just started doing some sports. Mostly I do candids- never scenery or landscapes.

Price range is prob. below 300.00 or so.

Also...
can you suggest a good point and shoot to carry in my purse. My sony p-52 just broke. Not sure if I should stay w/ sony as I have a few memory sticks. Maybe a small canon that takes the same battery and memory as the canon xt???

Thank you so much for your help!

ktixx
03-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Here's my question...

(small and light all around everyday lens)? Should I nix the kit lens and apply the 100.00 towards something else?

I'm mostly taking pics of my kids, who have just started doing some sports. Mostly I do candids- never scenery or landscapes.

Price range is prob. below 300.00 or so.

Also...
can you suggest a good point and shoot to carry in my purse. My sony p-52 just broke. Not sure if I should stay w/ sony as I have a few memory sticks. Maybe a small canon that takes the same battery and memory as the canon xt???

A nice lens I would recomend is the Sigma 18-125 f/3.5 - 5.6 DC it retails for ~$270 from B&H photo. You may also want to consider the Sigma 18-200 lens that just came out, it is a bit more expensive, but will give you more magnification in your shots. It retails for ~$400

As for a small digital Point and Shoot, I doubt you will find one that will be small and fit your BP-511a battery (I am assuming the XT uses the bp-511a). The only 2 cameras that I can think of that use that battery are the Powershot Pro1 and Powershot G6, both retail for ~$600 and are not exactly small. Most of the canon powershots/elph digital cameras use Compact Flash, so matching the memory shouldn't be a problem
Good luck
Ken

ReF
03-12-2005, 02:32 AM
the XT doesn't use the bp-511, it uses the nb-2lh. i agree with looking at the sigma lenses or even tamron offerings. the lenses from canon (the decent one at least) are comparatively big and heavy. third party lenses can be surprisingly small! you can go to fredmiranda.com then look under "reviews," and compare ratings/prices.

the older canon elph series (s410, s500) are small cameras i can think of that use compact flash. the canon s60 and s70 both use the same battery as the XT as well as compact flash cards.

gary_hendricks
03-12-2005, 07:29 AM
The Canon A95 (http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/canon-powershot-a95-review.html) is a great choice.

stonehill
03-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Well my new XT is charged and ready to go. For now I went with the kit lens but I'm sure by Christmas I will be ready to upgrade. The sigma 18-125 and sigma 18-200 both sound good-thank you

I have so much to learn! Would it be best to start shooting in P mode or stick with auto for starters?

Also, this is probably a lame question, but I got the capkeeper and I wasn't sure where to stick it-above or below or in the middle of the canon name ?

Thank you for all you wonderful help and suggestions!

eagle17
03-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Great purchase you are going to have a lot of fun.

first from what I have seen it looks like this is your first SLR camera?

Shoot with P mode but remember that you will need to manually open the flash to use it.. also start playing with Av mode and use the wheel to set really small (higher number like 22) or really large (small number like 3.5) apurture.

also look at a lot of other photos on the web. start looking at the types of pictures you like and then try to do the same. Start to become more critical of your photos start to zoom in on them and look for problems and then try to fix them.. after a while you will start to use the manual mode a lot more.

also if you have any question post them... I am sure someone will be able to anwser them.

jamison55
03-14-2005, 03:05 AM

I bought a used Canon A300 off of eb*y for around $75 (w/ batteries, charger, and 128mb card). It is my "carry anywhere" camera when I don't want to bring a DSLR along, and takes great pics...