PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop vs. Paintshop?

Digideb
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm just now considering playing with some kind of photo editing. A teacher in a digicam class suggested I try a free download of Paintshop Pro, but I see most everyone here is talking about Photoshop. :confused:
Can anyone offer me some advice? I'm quite "low-tech". My computer has Windows XP. I like using My Pictures & I do have some sort of "Paint" feature, but I don't really know much about using it.
My main problem lately is figuring out how to easily downsize my pix for posting on forums like this. I also use another bulletin board that needs pix twice as small as this one will accept. Will either the Paintshop or Photoshop easily do that for me?
Otherwise, I'd like to learn some basic photo fixing, but I'm still trying to hold onto that "purist" attitude of getting the pic. right when you shoot it. :p

TimothyR
03-09-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm very new to the digital imaging scene myself, so weight my lack of experience against any other advice you may receive. With my disclaimer out of the way, my suggestion is to try a few trials of different software packages until you find one you like and think you can be comfortable using. I've experimented with both Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop in the past, but find them both to have a steep learning curve that I really didn't have the patience to go through.

After reading this and other forums, I downloaded several freeware and trial versions of software recommended by others. Currently I'm using the trial version of Photoshop Elements 3.0, and like it. It has brief tutorials and will "hold your hand" through some simple tasks such as the image resizing, cropping, color correction and many other things. While it may lack the "power" of Photoshop, it's easy to use and has more than enough tools to serve my needs. The trial version is avaialbe for download from Adobe. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/main.html

Another program that I have seen recommended by others is Ulead PhotoImpact 10. I have downloaded the trial version, but haven't tried it out yet. http://www.ulead.com/pi/runme.htm

At my current skill level, and needs, a program like Photoshop Elements 3.0 seems to fit my needs perfectly. Full Blown Photoshop seems to be the choice of professionals and has the pricetag and learning curve to boot. It has the most resources avaiable, both online and in book form. I personally don't need all that it offers at this time. You may have different needs or goals in mind, but it can't hurt to try the trial versions of the above programs to see if they fit your current or near future needs. Try the trial version of Paint Shop Pro and any others that may interest you. Find out what you like best and go with it. Don't worry to much about what others use, after all, you are the one that has to be comfortable using a piece of software.

Tim

HotRod
03-09-2005, 06:41 PM
two good photo editing programs are:

Paint.net (http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/index.html) It's like MS paint on steroids and it supports layers.

and

GIMP (http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/) some people swear by gimp 2.2

oh and of course these two programs are free! if you dont like both. buy photoshop elements, good program also.

come back and tell us how you like it!

Digideb
03-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks, Tim & Hot Rod. :) I think that sounds like a good idea. I got an email from a friend suggesting the same thing after I posted this. At least it won't cost anything to give them a try.
I'll check out those others you mentioned,also. It's funny, awhile ago, on this forum, I saw someone writing about "Gimp" & I couldn't imagine what they were talking about! :o

zena
03-10-2005, 04:15 AM
hi all the only thing with the free trials ie photoshop elements they are very big downloads from site 228 mb what do you use for such large downloads if you have not got broadband , i try to find stuff on cd that comes with photo mags or pc magazines.
thank you

gary_hendricks
03-17-2005, 02:23 AM
I have been using paint shop pro for years but recently upgraded to Photoshop CS and to my delight the usability is excelent, the ability of the application is great.

erichlund
03-17-2005, 06:54 PM
I have been using paint shop pro for years but recently upgraded to Photoshop CS and to my delight the usability is excelent, the ability of the application is great.

OK, but honestly, is it really worth $500 more for non-professional use? I understand if you don't mind paying that much, but what do I absolutely need, that PSP cannot do, that's worth all the extra money, assuming you consider the cost?

Cheers,
Eric

erichlund
03-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Wow, four days and no answer. Or rather, no response is the answer. For the extra $500 you can use what the pros use. I saved the $500 and have something that works well (even has a raw filter for my D70).

The reality is that Adobe products have always been overpriced. They don't want any riff raff off the street buying. They are targeted at pros and they charge a premium to keep the rest of us out. Fine by me. Paint Shop Pro and Nikon Capture are all I need.

Cheers,
Eric

Digideb
03-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Wow, four days and no answer. Or rather, no response is the answer. For the extra $500 you can use what the pros use. I saved the $500 and have something that works well (even has a raw filter for my D70).

The reality is that Adobe products have always been overpriced. They don't want any riff raff off the street buying. They are targeted at pros and they charge a premium to keep the rest of us out. Fine by me. Paint Shop Pro and Nikon Capture are all I need.

Cheers,
EricI noticed the prices on the Adobe products while considering free trial downloads. :eek: Then, I heard Paintshop was much easier to use & cheaper,too.
I have an "Adobe Starter Album" that came with my computer, but I find the regular "Paint" program (that's in my computer) easier to use for re-sizing,etc. I'm not that much into photo "tricks", anyway. ;)

Fred
03-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi Digideb,

If you are not that much into tricks and want to just get started with a simple, free editing program, you could try Picasa at www.picasa.com. It might be a good intro into digital editing for you, and some folks who use it claim it is all they really need.

D70FAN
03-22-2005, 11:22 AM
I noticed the prices on the Adobe products while considering free trial downloads. :eek: Then, I heard Paintshop was much easier to use & cheaper,too.
I have an "Adobe Starter Album" that came with my computer, but I find the regular "Paint" program (that's in my computer) easier to use for re-sizing,etc. I'm not that much into photo "tricks", anyway. ;)

Adobe Elements 3.0 is typically around $70 (on sale) and has about 75% of the capability of Photoshop CS, including RAW handling (in case you ever decide to get a camera that can take RAW format pictures)

Photoshop CS may be a bit overpriced, but it is still one of the gold standards for professional and amature photographers alike. The nice thing about Adobe Elements 3.0 is that it teaches you how to use Photoshop on a budget, as the interface and functions are very similar.

I've used just about every post processing software package available, including all the freeware stuff, and keep comming back to Photoshop, because it just works better.

My two cents worth.

eggrock
03-24-2005, 06:54 AM
OK, but honestly, is it really worth $500 more for non-professional use? I understand if you don't mind paying that much, but what do I absolutely need, that PSP cannot do, that's worth all the extra money, assuming you consider the cost?

Cheers,
Eric

I'm a non-professional and shelled out the $$$ for Photoshop (5). After years of doing very little with it I'm finally starting to see the possibilities, and the bonus is the multitude of tutorials out there. Photoshop is one of the most powerful and useful apps I've ever used (right up there with Excel).

That being said it's crazy expensive.

I've seen The GIMP recommended a lot (yes, there's a Windows version) but I know little about it except that it's free. http://gimp.org

dugjay
10-13-2005, 01:02 AM
I recently dl'd Picassa and have been using Paint Shop Pro 9 for the last year. I found that if I wanted to do a quick fix, Picassa was great for getting an image up to speed very quickly without having to think about it.
PSP9 is also a great product if you want to take the time and put a little extra "umph" into your picture.
I have also done some minor editing with Picassa and then re-edited the image in PSP9 for an added touch.
Since I've had the chance to use both, I would recommend Picassa to someone that wanted to get their feet wet in imaging software before purchasing PSP9 ($90) or Photoshop CS ($500+).
Did I mention that Picassa is free through Google?

Risky Business
10-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Here is my humble opinion - take it for what it's worth.

Photoshop Elements 4 is the shiz.

I was a long time PaintShopPro user before 'graduating' to Photoshop 5 a few years ago. But my wife found PS too intimidating. I switched to the more user friendly PS Elements 3 and it was great. Adobe then took this outstanding program and made it even better with the newly released PS Elements 4 - they have truly outdone themselves with this one.

Unless you are a pro that needs the slightly more involved capabilities of Photoshop CS, I believe Elements 4 is an excellent choice for organizing, editing, and creating.

Take a look at the demo on Adobe's web site:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/main.html

Note: And if you record video, bundle Elements 4 with Premiere Elements 2!

johnmed3
10-27-2005, 09:20 PM
You might want to consider photoplus 6.0 from Serif. It is also free and works like photoshop, give it a try.

Rambler358
11-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Here is my humble opinion - take it for what it's worth.

Photoshop Elements 4 is the shiz.

Does it support layors? If so, this could be an option for me.

Jalva22
11-30-2005, 09:02 AM
Does it support layors? If so, this could be an option for me.

I have the same question. A friend of mine tried Elements' trial version and went back to GIMP because he thought the layering on Elements was poor. Is that a valid criticism?

ktixx
11-30-2005, 09:19 AM
Use caution when using Picasa for anything but personal use, I know for one photo I edited quickly with it there were some weird JPEG artifacts that it put into the picture (almost like someone had scratched the image) I reprocessed in Photoshop and it came out perfect.
Ken

tizeye
02-19-2007, 06:05 AM
>A teacher in a digicam class suggested I try a free download of Paintshop Pro, but I see most everyone here is talking about Photoshop.<

Are you currently a student? While most people are noting the rediculous expensive $600+ for Photoshop CS2, with academic discount you can get it for $289 ($299 with eyecandy plug-in). Both academic discounts for PS Elements and PaintShop are no great deals. You can get for same price everyday at Costco, and even cheaper on sales. The big box stores tent to alternate weeks on sale.

Try both free downloads to see which you prefer. Both are about 90% functionality of Photoshop CS2. I personally have been using Paintshop since it was a shareware program, and currently using v7 (got cheap with the JASC sellout to Corel und unloaded JASC inventory). Also got Photoshop Elements 3 free as included software when purchased a scanner. Tried it. Nothing wrong with it - just didn't add anything to what I already had, and a different sequence to accomplish the same. Would not consider either hard. Remember, the "Help" menu is there for a reason.

Came to this thread as in similar quandry of what to upgrade dated software to with the recent purchase of a Nikon D80.
1. The $99 softwares alone - Elements, or Paintshop, or Nikon Capture?
2. Either Elements or Paintshop PLUS Capture
3. Photoshop CS2 (through children with academic discount)
4. Photoshop PLUS Capture? perhaps overkill
The biggest thing I am trying to figure out is what sets Capture apart from the others - if anything.

danidabi
02-19-2007, 09:14 AM
I use photoshop but probably wouldn't if I had to pay for it. Luckly I got mine for free from a friend.