View Full Version : Oly C-765 - New User

03-09-2005, 08:47 AM
This is my first digital camera and as such would appreciate a bit of feedback on a couple of matters, having used it extensively at a wedding recently.
Many of my indoor shots were blurred, even some of the close ups. Why was this? I read earlier threads about the ISO setting.. does this work? Does shooting in the 'night' mode make any difference?
Also, as soon as i tried focusing in on some slighty moving targets, there would be a lag and when the subject went out of focus (i..e the moment had passed), the shutter clicked into action. Is there any remedy for this (programmed or otherwise).

Having said that, some of the outdoor (and indoor) shots were far better then similar digital snaps i saw. I'm still getting used to my Oly and feel that if there was some sort of extra manual (aside from the one that comes in the box), I would be able to get greater value for money from it.

Any thoughts/comments/tips would be greatly appreciated.

03-09-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm also a new user of a 770, I'm still playing with it. But overall I'm very happy with it. Anyhow, how you looked at the CD in the box. It should contain a PDF version of the real manual not the little booklet they threw in.

Geoff Chandler
03-09-2005, 03:33 PM
I am a touch suprised to find you are having difficulty with the blurring.
I don't want to run through all the usual tips about avoiding camera shake etc - but just as a check - do you use the EVF or the screen? If it's the screen you need to find a way of holding the camera very firmly, if you use the EVF then you should be OK. Also - try to keep your shutter speeds as fast as possible while you try to resolve this current problem. remeber - the more you zoom in - the faster the shutter speed required to avoid blurring from camera shake. Sorry if I am teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs - but sometimes it can be the simple things that we miss.
Most likely it was due to low light on the indoor shots - unless you are using flash you really do need to bolt that camera down as solidly as possible. Up the ASA if the shutter speeds are low (a sharp 400 ASA pic is better than a blurred 100 or 50 ASA) - as I have said in other posts - I would set the dial to Apperture priority (ASM - menu apperture) and open it as wide as possible (low number f2.8 at wide angle) - the shutter will set the fastest speed for the available light. If you arnt using the flash - try setting the White balance in manual.
good luck - play around with it when it doesn't matter to be ready for the next important event.
Geoff Chandler

03-09-2005, 07:18 PM
I've heard of this problem occuring on a few other copies of the 765. You might want to do a quick forum search to see how the other people solved this problem.

03-11-2005, 06:57 PM
I asked the same question and received this reply from Tonay: "I have the same camera and noticed the problem you are mentioning when I didn't have the flash released, even when I didn't feel I needed it. The lag, well - always keep the button 1/2 down (or turn off the LCD screen) but the blurring is probably light related. Let the flash up, set it on auto flash and see if your blurred images go away. They did for me. "

This also helped me a lot!

03-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Glad I could help! :)

03-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Not sure if this guide to night photography (http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/how-to-take-night-photos.html) will help you, but you can check it out.