PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Camera To Use At Low Lit Clubs And Indoor Rock Concerts!!

MikeGow
08-17-2004, 05:47 AM
I'm a student looking at buying my first digital camera for use in low lit clubs/bars and indoor rock concerts and don't want to spend a lot of money on something that doesn't work well under the conditions I want it for. I've read tons of reviews, but all seem to be written by middle aged folks who don't mention the quality of images in low light conditions (... mainly beacuse I guess they don't go to low lit clubs and indoor rock concerts!). If there's anyone (maybe students or anyone really that has experience taking pictures in these kind of conditions) that could provide information on cameras that might be suitable for me that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at the Canon A80 at the moment so info on it's low light performance would be great.

Anything cheaper and smaller would also be a bonus if you can recommend anything.

Mike

Rhys
08-17-2004, 05:55 AM
I'm a student looking at buying my first digital camera for use in low lit clubs/bars and indoor rock concerts and don't want to spend a lot of money on something that doesn't work well under the conditions I want it for. I've read tons of reviews, but all seem to be written by middle aged folks who don't mention the quality of images in low light conditions (... mainly beacuse I guess they don't go to low lit clubs and indoor rock concerts!). If there's anyone (maybe students or anyone really that has experience taking pictures in these kind of conditions) that could provide information on cameras that might be suitable for me that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at the Canon A80 at the moment so info on it's low light performance would be great.

Anything cheaper and smaller would also be a bonus if you can recommend anything.

Mike

If you're an official photographer then I'd recommend something decent like a D100 and a hammerhead flash. If you're an unofficial photographer then I recommend something splash proof and rugged because you never know who'll do what to you. The arty musicy crowd can get a bit stroppy when people take pictures of them.

MikeGow
08-17-2004, 06:23 AM
I'm an amatuer photographer, just the odd shots of friends when we're out clubing and shots of bands at low lit rock gigs really. 'Splash-proof' isn't really an issue, I've never had a problem of drinks flying before (and my friends who have digital cameras haven't either). As for being 'rugged', the camera'd sit in my pocket for most of the time, and i'm pretty good with holding on to things... even in a tight crowd! Any comments on the build quality of the Canon A80 and it's performance in low light?

Ben Miller
08-17-2004, 09:00 AM
If you don't mind going with something used/refurbished you could look for an Olympus 3040, 4040, or 5050. That line of cameras had an unusually "fast" lens that makes it better than most for low-light conditions.

speaklightly
08-17-2004, 09:17 AM
If low level lighting means no flash, then Ben's suggestion of finding one of the Olympus digitals with the F 1.8 Bright Star lens is a great suggestion.

Sarah Joyce

MikeGow
08-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Thank you for your help, but I just took a look at the prices of those Olympus models and they're all about 599, which is far too expensive for me... and most students. I'm looking for something around 175, which I believe works out at about $310 - $320. I know it's probably asking a lot to find a camera for around that price with good quality images in low light, but it anyone can suggest any I'd be very appreciative (as I say, this is my first time buying a digital camera, so I don't know what the average price is for a good camera that'll work in low light). Thank you for any help you can give

Mike

Rhys
08-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Thank you for your help, but I just took a look at the prices of those Olympus models and they're all about 599, which is far too expensive for me... and most students. I'm looking for something around 175, which I believe works out at about $310 - $320. I know it's probably asking a lot to find a camera for around that price with good quality images in low light, but it anyone can suggest any I'd be very appreciative (as I say, this is my first time buying a digital camera, so I don't know what the average price is for a good camera that'll work in low light). Thank you for any help you can give

Mike

Well, most digitals get a bit noisy in low-light. Having said that, pocket-sized cameras that might work for you that are less than 200 would be the Nikon 3100/3200, Canon A70/A75. But why not have a look at the price-comparison websites: www.dealtime.co.uk, www.pricerunner.co.uk, www.pricegrabber.co.uk but print out the prices of any camera you fancy as long as it has a UK postal address and then take that printout into Jessops and ask for price-matching. They'll do that for you. By the way, I've never had anything from Jessops that's ever actually worked but their return's policy is pretty good. I believe you're in the UK so I just quoted UK solutions. If you mentioned a town, perhaps I could suggest a cheaper local retailer.

MikeGow
08-18-2004, 05:09 AM
Thanks for your help. I'm in Leicester (and we do have a Jessops so I'll give them a try), do you know of any other local retails that might be worth checking? For the extra 10-20, is it worth sticking with the idea of getting the Canon Powershot A80, or would performance in low light be slightly worse?

MikeGow
08-18-2004, 05:55 AM
I just took a look at some reviews of the Nikon 3200 and all seemed great, yet the one given by Digital Camera Resource Page said,

"The other issue is noise -- the auto ISO "feature" on the CP3200 boosts the ISO from 50 to 200 whenever it wants. That means noisy pictures when the lighting isn't great (read: indoors). ... Hopefully by the time the Coolpix 3300 comes out, there will be a way to lock the ISO at a set value."

The picture they use to illustrate this displayed a fair bit of noise, and that was just in a low lit living room (taken in the evening)... i'd hate to think of the noise i'd get from a very dark night club!

Anyone have any experience with the Nikon 3200 in low light situations?

Ben Miller
08-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Thank you for your help, but I just took a look at the prices of those Olympus models and they're all about 599, which is far too expensive for me... and most students.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't find one for quite a bit less than that. They're older models, discontinued, so you could probably turn one up used for a lot less. But buying used might be more of a hassle than it's worth to you.

Beyond that recommendation I would suggest that when you compare different models you pay attention to the largest aperture available. A larger aperture (smaller 'f' number) will get you more light, less noise, and faster shutter speed. The Olympus models I mentioned go down to 1.8. Most digicams have a lowest value of 2.something, but some might be as high as 3. Just remember that lower is better.

And be prepared to practice. Taking pictures in the dark is tough.