PDA

View Full Version : 20D vs Digital Rebel

jerrybe
03-07-2005, 09:32 PM
I compared the 20D and the Digital rebel side by side. I would think the 20D would take a better picture. But it seems the rebel's shots came out cleaner and sharper. Also the rebel seemed to get better results when using the flash.
Any opinions out there.

Rex914
03-07-2005, 10:57 PM
All things being equal, the two cameras shouldn't differ by much in image quality. However, several factors are at play when you claim that one takes bettter image than the other.

1) Were you using auto mode? This is a huge culprit.
2) Were the lenses the same?
3) Did you make sure the settings were the same?
4) This is unlikely, but sometimes one of the floor models will have a minor defect like having focusing problems for example.

These are just some of the many possible causes.

jerrybe
03-08-2005, 12:12 AM
I was using the cameras in the auto mode. Wouldn't that make everything equal???

Rex914
03-08-2005, 12:15 AM
It usually isn't advised to use auto mode on any digital SLR as you can actually get worse results in auto mode with a DSLR than you can with a point and shoot. Speaking of which... If you performed the comparison in a store (assuming that), how did you compare the photos? :confused:

jerrybe
03-08-2005, 12:22 AM
I am Just getting into photography, I bought both cameras at Costco knowing that one can be returned. So I was able to use my computer to check them out.
I like to have the best when I purchase something, so I always have room to move up. I was assuming the 20D would be the camera I was going to keep, but maybe it is too much for me. I am really confused.

Rex914
03-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Costco sells the 20D in the warehouse? Where? I thought they only sold them online!

Refresh my memory a bit. Does Costco collect sales taxes? (Since they take cash only, they might not need to).

jerrybe
03-08-2005, 12:30 AM
they were purchased at Costco.com. They take everything back at the warehouse and they refund the shipping, so you can't go wrong.
Plus they take Amex at the warehouse, and you do pay tax.

So what about my problem? lol

Rex914
03-08-2005, 12:34 AM
This is essentially what you are weighing.

For the extra several hundred dollars, you are getting:

1) Much better build quality and durability
2) A better focus system
3) Higher FPS

That's if you compare the 20D to the XT. If you compare it to the original rebel, you get this much extra on top of the above features.

4) DIGIC II (much faster performance)
5) 8 vs. 6 megapixels (not too important)
6) Many many more features

If you think that the 300-400 dollars extra is worth it, stick to the 20D. You just need a little practice with it before you start getting some good shots. I have a hunch that the Rebel is more consumer friendly and will take better shots "out of the box" while the 20D requires a little more effort to shine through.

jamison55
03-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Here's a couple of tests that will show some of the most glaring differences:

The "Quick, Junior is doing something cute" test - Place the DReb on the table in front of you, power off. Pick it up and take a picture as fast as you can. Repeat with the 20D.

The "It's getting dark, and I don't want to use the flash" test - Indoors, with normal household lights on, bump up the ISO to 1600, and take a picture with both cameras.

Also, check the parameters in the menu to make sure that they are the same. For a fair test of image quality, they should both use the same parameter.

I have both, and the DReb is an outstanding camera for the price (in fact all of the pics on my website currently came from my DReb - with a couple from my A80 thrown in), but if I had to get rid of one, there is no question that it would be the DReb. Good luck with your decision...there is no wrong one in your case!

Mr. Peabody
03-08-2005, 06:39 PM
I had a Digital Rebel and sold it to a friend. I then bought myself the 20D.

I'm not an expert like most of you guys are on cameras and photograpy.

However, besides the what you've already mentioned, here are a few things I like better about the 20D.

1. It turns on immediately. It takes a few seconds for the Rebel. This helps when I see something that I want to take a picture of and I have to get the shot off fast.

2. The difference in shuttler lag. The Rebel is slow. When I take pics of my son pitching, I have to plan ahead and time the pic because of the slower shutter lag. With the 20D, I don't have to do that. When I click the shutter button, I capture the picture that I want. That helps a lot with action pics and trying to capture someone's facial expressions.

3. The faster performing software inside the camera. Everything you do like reviewing pics etc. etc. is 10x faster with the 20D. Also downloading pics onto the computer is 10x faster with the 20D if you use the cable instead of a card reader.

I also prefer the feel of the 20D case over the plastic case of the Rebel.

anyway just my two cents.

oh yeah, I also like the button placement of the 20D and the quick dial that is located on the back of the camera.

timmciglobal
03-09-2005, 05:35 AM
From my personal experience the 20D has better exposure and flash performance though just like the rebel if you don't want to edit things out of camera (especially tuning brightness up a lot) set the exposure compensation +1 EV.

The best feature of 20D imho is the high ISO performance. ISO 1600 is completly useable for prints.

Tim