PDA

View Full Version : What is best sports/action setting for Coolpix 8700?

Shutterbug1006
03-07-2005, 06:59 AM
I purchased the camera to photograph the kids playing soccer and I'm beginning to wonder if the Coolpix was the correct choice. I wasn't looking for a professional sports camera, but a good all around camera. I find the Coolpix to be acceptable for all kinds of still pictures, but for those action shots, I haven't been able to find the right settings. Even when I preprogram it for shutter dedicated, the pictures are still blurry. I deactivated the photo review option hoping that I would get quicker response between photos, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

So, what is the best setting on the Coolpix 8700 for telephoto capture of action, and seeing it as it happens? And, what is the best setting so that the camera recovers quicker between shots?

palmbook
03-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Try turning on "quick response" mode.

Also try continuous mode too :)

Shutterbug1006
03-07-2005, 01:04 PM
wrong camera. I had researched the Coolpix 8700 under Yahoo and Google and thought the reviews were okay, but today I searched under Excite.com and found reviews that didn't recommend it for sports. I wonder why the articles didn't turn up under the first two search engines?

Do you know of any place that trades cameras? According to my search, the Konica Minolta A2 would be a better choice for my needs.

D70FAN
03-07-2005, 02:48 PM
wrong camera. I had researched the Coolpix 8700 under Yahoo and Google and thought the reviews were okay, but today I searched under Excite.com and found reviews that didn't recommend it for sports. I wonder why the articles didn't turn up under the first two search engines?

Do you know of any place that trades cameras? According to my search, the Konica Minolta A2 would be a better choice for my needs.

Or if videos are not a critical part of your repertoire, you might want to entertain buying a dSLR. The D70 or Canon 350D (not out yet), with a 7X (Sigma 18-125 @ ~$270) should do the job for just a little more than an A2.

Just a thought.

P.S. If super telephoto is your desire then adding a Tamron 70-300 APO (~$200) would give you the equivalent of 16X with two relatively good but inexpensive lenses.

Just an afterthought.

palmbook
03-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Or maybe new Panasonic ultra-zooms. They are pretty fast. F2.8-3.1 OIS lense is great for sports too. :)

Bullitt
03-26-2005, 01:06 AM
Short story here Shutterbug...I used a CP8800 for 2 weeks and was happy with the still shots, very nice pictures but I tried shooting wildlife where I live and got a big surprise...If they are moving, forget it!! The best setting was Continuous Low and that wasnt all that great. Your best bet with any Coolpix for movement is probably the movie mode. I ordered the D70 and hope it shoots as fast as Ive read it does....