PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Coolpix 8700

astroboy
08-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Hello everyone
I am about to buy a Nikon 8700, after reading all the review websites on different models etc, this one gets a great rap, just wondering if any one has any feedback about this camera, or if there are any users out there that can provide anything I should know about b4 I let loose with my credit card? I have noticed a few people in this forum have bagged the 8700, but from reading all the professional reviews, they dont seem to have many negatives, so i was just wondering why this is!? :eek:

Thanks! :)

speaklightly
08-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Astroboy-

Please re-read those so called "professional" reviews! The 8mp digital camera with the best reviews by both professional reviewers and users is the Olympus C-8080.

I bought the Nikon 8700 very early and it has been a great disappointment to me. Pictures from my 5mp digital cameras are just as good. It is your money and please do whatever you desire but, I just want to make clear that the facts, might be otherwise, than what is stated in your posting.

And least you visualize me as just another disgruntled beginner digital camera user, please understand that my husband and I conduct digital camera workshops all over the world and we own 30+ digital cameras. By a lot of experience and the ability to compare numerous digital cameras side by side, we feel that the Nikon 8700 is not the best 8mp digital camera investment. I like Nikon and I use Nikon digital cameras. This just might not be the best choice.

Sarah Joyce

astroboy
08-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Thanks for your reply Sarah, i think I might need to do some further investigation! Do you know a good buy, I am looking for a 5+ Mp camera, with a zoom of at least 7X, for the use of low light photography, I am alos looking for a digicam, as I have found the SLR's to be too bulky.

speaklightly
08-17-2004, 06:22 PM
When you mention night and low light level digital photography, I think of two digicams. The Canon S-1 which even at 3.2mp does a great job and the Sony F717 which is a master in this area.

The Canon S-1 has 10X optical zoom, and the Sony F717 has 5X optical zoom with great digital zoom. The Pansonic FZ-10 (12X optical zoom) is very capable but not quite as adept as the two previous digicams.

Sarah Joyce