PDA

View Full Version : 20D Sensor Cleaning

Cab
03-06-2005, 10:30 AM
What is a safe method of cleaning the 20D sensor? I notice dust spots on my images taken with a high f-stop (f32) and the blower method recommended in the manual does not do a complete job.

ktixx
03-06-2005, 01:49 PM
When you clean a digital camera you aren't actually cleaning the sensor, you are actually cleaning a glass filter in front of the sensor. You can go to this website: http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html for more information on cleaning the filter, and also where to purchase the necessary chemicals/equipment. You may also want to try contacting canon. Assuming your camera is still under warranty they may clean it for you for free (you will probably have to tell them that the image quality is subpar, and describe your problem). If canon will not do it for free, you may want to pay to have them do it, that is undoubtably the safest way to have it done. Good luck
Ken

D70FAN
03-06-2005, 03:50 PM
What is a safe method of cleaning the 20D sensor? I notice dust spots on my images taken with a high f-stop (f32) and the blower method recommended in the manual does not do a complete job.

The sight referenced by Ktixx should help a lot.

Canon will not clean the sensor for free, and may charge you for a full service return to do so.

Even better...for around $35 many local camera repair facilities will clean the camera/sensor. Out local guy here in the Phoenix area is Tempe Camera Repair, and they will generally turn the sensor cleaning in 1 or 2 days.

Sensable prevention will help as well. i.e. keep the lens opening pointed down when changing lenses. Check the new lens for dust before inserting it into the camera. Keep lenses clean and as free of dust as possible. Good maintentence can delay the necessity of cleaning. Change lenses fairly quick, to keep the exposure time to a minimum.

While my D70 was recently cleaned along with a repair, I have only had to clean the sensor once in 11 months. While I don't change lenses that often I do swap them out about 3-4 times a week.

jeisner
03-07-2005, 01:54 AM
This is the method Ii use for my Pentax *ist DS, works like a charm! :-)

Copperhill method (http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning)

ktixx
03-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Canon will not clean the sensor for free, and may charge you for a full service return to do so.

Anyone know how much it would cost for a full service return to canon to clean the CMOS?
Ken

jeisner
03-07-2005, 01:55 PM

Thats pretty bad of them :-/ It is their design fault that leads to this situation, ie the sensor easily gets dirty but they don't provide you a way of cleaning it, it actually technically voids your warranty if you use any method other than a blower, which rarely works (just moves dust around)... Pentax will clean it free under warranty and I believe Nikon do too, I would check with Canon, and kick up a fuss, they may do it. Or just do it yourself ;-)

D70FAN
03-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Thats pretty bad of them :-/ It is their design fault that leads to this situation, ie the sensor easily gets dirty but they don't provide you a way of cleaning it, it actually technically voids your warranty if you use any method other than a blower, which rarely works (just moves dust around)... Pentax will clean it free under warranty and I believe Nikon do too, I would check with Canon, and kick up a fuss, they may do it. Or just do it yourself ;-)

I don't know about the warranty being voided, but I wouldn't doubt it. As I mentioned before, if you can find a local camera repair they will generally have a cleaning service.

Are you sure about Pentax? And do you want to be without your camera for a few weeks (if you are lucky). If this is a free service then it is probably done when they can get around to it. I could be wrong...

...The last time I checked, Nikon wanted $100 for a cleaning. I believe that Canon does as well, but it never hurts to ask.

LoveOfSelene
03-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Anyone know how much it would cost for a full service return to canon to clean the CMOS?
Ken

I had a 1D sent in a year ago for the shop. Canon charged $65 USD plus i had to pay for the shiping and handling.
This is though as bussiness tho.

Hope this gives a standing on how much it will cost.

~loveofselene

D70FAN
03-07-2005, 07:53 PM
I had a 1D sent in a year ago for the shop. Canon charged $65 USD plus i had to pay for the shiping and handling.
This is though as bussiness tho.

Hope this gives a standing on how much it will cost.

~loveofselene

Loveofselene,

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.padamsphoto.co.uk/index.htm

Really?

jeisner
03-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Are you sure about Pentax? And do you want to be without your camera for a few weeks (if you are lucky).

Yeah, I know one person anyway who took it back under warranty and they 'repaired' it (well cleaned it). He just took it back to the Pentax Distributor with sample shots (at f22) and said it was faulty LOL.

Regarding time your right they made him wait two weeks...

I just do it myself (copperhill method) but I guess some people don't want to take the risk (however minor) of damaging their camera....

LoveOfSelene
03-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Loveofselene,

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.padamsphoto.co.uk/index.htm

Really?

Yeah, it was around 65 or 70$, for people living in the east coast you send it somewhere in New Jersey. Shiping and handling is murder in my opinion. I'll check what is the recent pricing for cleaning. Talk to you ppl soon.

~loveofselene

ktixx
03-13-2005, 03:30 PM
After a brief trip to Virginia, I took some nice pictures at f/22 and saw spots!! I was so annoyed considering I have only changed my lens 2 times and I do it so quickly and carefully (plus both the lenses I use were brand new) I was very annoyed. I broke down and ordered the kit off the copperhill site. I will take some pics of the sky (or lightbox) and I will post the before and afters when I get the kit.
Ken

LoveOfSelene
03-14-2005, 12:53 PM
After a brief trip to Virginia, I took some nice pictures at f/22 and saw spots!! I was so annoyed considering I have only changed my lens 2 times and I do it so quickly and carefully (plus both the lenses I use were brand new) I was very annoyed. I broke down and ordered the kit off the copperhill site. I will take some pics of the sky (or lightbox) and I will post the before and afters when I get the kit.
Ken

jw, what part of VA?

ktixx
03-14-2005, 09:33 PM
jw, what part of VA?
Tysons Corner/ Mclean