PDA

View Full Version : C-7070: First Impressions

Rex914
03-05-2005, 10:10 PM
C-7070: First Impressions

Today, I went to a local Fry's and was very surprised to find the C-7070 ($699) sitting nicely on the counter as if it had been released for months. I thought it was delayed until April. Thanks Olympus! Here's what I thought of it.

Build/Ergonomics

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c7070wz-front.jpg

In terms of outer appearance, the C-7070 is very similar to its predecessor, the very popular C-5060 Wide Zoom. Past that, the similarities end.

The C-7070 feels like a much sturdier camera than its predecessor. The 5060 was sturdily built, but it felt plasticky on the outside. Not so with the 7070. It's completely made from magnesium alloy, and you can see and feel it. The grip seems improved and fits better in the hand. Despite being made out of metal, the camera still feels light and wouldn't be a burden to carry around.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for some), the C-7070 carries over the same general control configuration from the 5060. Some may like it, but I've generally found Olympus controls to be difficult and confusing. Past Olympus users will feel at home. Other users like me will have to resort to the manual to figure out anything past the basics.

Shooting Pictures

The camera powered up very quickly, in around 2 seconds, much faster than before. Focus times were decent but not impressive (probably because I'm used to DSLR's now). It generally took around half a second to lock in on a target. Shot to shot times were outstanding, coming in at well under a second (with post shot preview turned OFF).

The LCD preview screen was bright and clear and the motion was smooth. Most cameras are like that now I suppose. No complaints in this area.

Conclusion

You can't expect much from me going to the store. This is about as much as I could gather in 10 minutes before the salespeople bombarded me with questions. I was pretty impressed with this camera. It's a very worthy successor the C-5060. I do have some qualms about its price. It's in direct competition with the Powershot G6 and the Cybershot V3 and at $100 more, I don't imagine that too many people would be happy paying that price unless they were shooting for Olympus or really wanted that wide zoom. I would also have appreciated seeing a higher ISO (like 800) at this price. Nevertheless, the C-7070 is a great camera, and I highly recommend it to anybody considering a solid performer in the midrange prosumer category.

Geoff Chandler
03-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Sounds really great.
Looking forward to seeing a few sample pics then - will you post some maybe in the Photo Forum???

Geoff Chandler
03-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Just had a glance at the sample pics on this site - it's pretty good.
However - like every camera I have looked into - it's not perfect! I think
a lot of people will like this camera.. hey did I just say not perfect??
Well - it's clearly very much an Oly - no bad thing. Clean clear crisp sharp etc.
I would want to reduce the 'in your face'-ness a bit as it's more contrast & sharpening than I generally want, no probs though it has a wealth of adjustments... next? Yeah it's got the usual fringing - but show me a non dslr that hasn't 'fringed' at some time in its life! and it's not that bad. Just check the statues shot and look over on the right at the one behind the trees - he's got purple and green. Too fussy - that's a heck of a small part of the pic! - Ok then go left to the Wall on the left and the strange bit of up and over structure, or even the green lampost - it's not immune to it. But as I said, even the best examples I've looked at do it occasionally - I don't think this is too bad then in that respect.
I have a feeling that changing the apperture can sometimes help...
How many people out there have one of these then - I nearly did!, and I am still interested to know how it fares - hopefully it will give Oly a boost.

doady
03-20-2005, 01:28 PM
C-7070: First Impressions

Today, I went to a local Fry's and was very surprised to find the C-7070 ($699) sitting nicely on the counter as if it had been released for months. I thought it was delayed until April. Thanks Olympus! Here's what I thought of it.

Build/Ergonomics

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c7070wz-front.jpg

In terms of outer appearance, the C-7070 is very similar to its predecessor, the very popular C-5060 Wide Zoom. Past that, the similarities end.

The C-7070 feels like a much sturdier camera than its predecessor. The 5060 was sturdily built, but it felt plasticky on the outside. Not so with the 7070. It's completely made from magnesium alloy, and you can see and feel it. The grip seems improved and fits better in the hand. Despite being made out of metal, the camera still feels light and wouldn't be a burden to carry around.

The c-5060 is also made of magnesium alloy body, just like c-7070, so I am not sure why you think there is difference in build quality. The body is exactly the same, including the handgrip. The only thing different about c-7070 is the sensor and the LCD.

Sef
03-26-2005, 04:09 AM
With respect to the price difference compared to the V3. As far as I can make out, the V3 needs a memory stick pro to be able to take video at the highest resolution. If you tot up the difference in a 1Gb memory stick and a CD/SF card, you'll find that there's little difference in the on-the-road price.

gary_hendricks
03-26-2005, 05:06 AM
Wow it looks great. I really like the rugged looking design and dual media slots. :)