PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Service

D70FAN
03-05-2005, 08:38 AM
For those curious about Nikon Service, in my opinion it is excellent. My D70 crashed and it only took 2 weeks to get it back including transit. Included with the repair was a thorough cleaning, update of firmware, and secondary testing.

Now better than new. :D

Kudos Nikon!

gary_hendricks
03-05-2005, 09:20 AM
I can vouch for that - the D70 I owned was fixed nicely within a short timeframe.

speaklightly
03-15-2005, 10:49 AM
George-

I am delighted to hear that you have your Nikon D-70 back home and that it is working just fine.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
03-15-2005, 01:34 PM
George-

I am delighted to hear that you have your Nikon D-70 back home and that it is working just fine.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks. It got pretty bad having to use the old 990, and I darn-near bought a body in Japan but, fortunately, I did not bring any lenses and I could not afford a whole new kit. I am seriously considering a second body by summer.

I've gone dSLR and I really can't go back. ;)

Samuel Lo
03-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks. It got pretty bad having to use the old 990, and I darn-near bought a body in Japan but, fortunately, I did not bring any lenses and I could not afford a whole new kit. I am seriously considering a second body by summer.

I've gone dSLR and I really can't go back. ;)

It's always good to hear great after-sale service from the manufacturers.
If you are going to buy a second body, Which one do you prefer? A second D70, or others? D70 is great but unlike the film cam, it is not wise to buy 2 DSLRs with the same technology and the same features.

speaklightly
03-15-2005, 08:22 PM
George-

Thanks to the excellent reports you have given regarding the servicing of your Nikon D-70, today, I decided to take a page out of your book, George, and I ordered a D-70 to use personally and in our workshops as well.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
03-15-2005, 09:43 PM
It's always good to hear great after-sale service from the manufacturers.
If you are going to buy a second body, Which one do you prefer? A second D70, or others? D70 is great but unlike the film cam, it is not wise to buy 2 DSLRs with the same technology and the same features.

Well, in the case of the D70 it does all that I ask it to do, and then some. It may not be the fastest or highest resolution, but it gets the job done very well.

Conventional wisdom, if that's what you think it is, may be wrong. I could spend $4000 on a D1X, but I just don't think it would fit my needs any better. What would I get? A fast, competent 6.1MP dSLR. I already have one of those for $1000. ;) Although I might like to step up to a Fuji S3, unfortunately, it is still a few dollars beyond my bank account.

In my opinion the D70 is still the best all around dSLR under $2000.

D70FAN
03-15-2005, 09:47 PM
George-

Thanks to the excellent reports you have given regarding the servicing of your Nikon D-70, today, I decided to take a page out of your book, George, and I ordered a D-70 to use personally and in our workshops as well.

Sarah Joyce

After using the 20D you might be regressing a little, but I think that the user interface and the general overall quality may at least make it an equal. The bottom line is that I think you will like it.

Samuel Lo
03-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Well, in the case of the D70 it does all that I ask it to do, and then some. It may not be the fastest or highest resolution, but it gets the job done very well.

Conventional wisdom, if that's what you think it is, may be wrong. I could spend $4000 on a D1X, but I just don't think it would fit my needs any better. What would I get? A fast, competent 6.1MP dSLR. I already have one of those for $1000. ;) Although I might like to step up to a Fuji S3, unfortunately, it is still a few dollars beyond my bank account.

In my opinion the D70 is still the best all around dSLR under $2000.

Yes, D1X/D2X/S3 pro are all over-priced. I think it's better for you to wait for the upgraded version of D70, you are not a full time photographer, need not to be in hurry, isn't it?

speaklightly
03-16-2005, 04:12 AM
George-

In all of our Intermediate and Advanced workshops we are seeing an ever increasing level of interest in dSLR cameras. So now we are sharing and discussing the three most common: The Canon DigRebel XT, the Nikon D-70, and the Canon EOS 20D. Likewise, if we are going to help our students, we have to have a level of skills, that allow us to deal with each of these dSLR cameras quite easily.

In broad terms, before making a substantial investment in a dSLR, everyone wants to learn:

(a) If the are worth the price
(b) Really what they can do
(c) To be comfortable with a dSLR's features and capabilities

George, both you and Samuel have made several excellent points:

(a) Don't buy more camera than you really need
(b) Don't be in a hurry, new models are introduced quite often
(C) Really become proficient with the dSLR that you already own

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
03-16-2005, 06:24 AM
Yes, D1X/D2X/S3 pro are all over-priced. I think it's better for you to wait for the upgraded version of D70, you are not a full time photographer, need not to be in hurry, isn't it?

I think by overpriced you mean they are expensive. The build quality and component reliability of professional cameras add a lot to their cost compared to consumer grade dSLR's. If you've ever used a pro camera you would notice the difference right away.

Things like fully o-ringed weatherproof housings, ruggedized magnesium frames and mechanical components, add substantially to the cost. If my camera fails it's not a big deal as my living is not dependant on it. But if a D1X or 1Ds fails it could be a big problem for the pro. Of course pros carry spare bodies, but a shot missed is a shot missed.

In addition the sales volume of professional cameras does not really allow for much cost reduction.

Actually, I am a full time photographer, but I don't make my living at it. ;) That may come later. The D70 is like my Amex card... I don't leave home without it. :)

D70FAN
03-16-2005, 06:41 AM
George-

In all of our Intermediate and Advanced workshops we are seeing an ever increasing level of interest in dSLR cameras. So now we are sharing and discussing the three most common: The Canon DigRebel XT, the Nikon D-70, and the Canon EOS 20D. Likewise, if we are going to help our students, we have to have a level of skills, that allow us to deal with each of these dSLR cameras quite easily.

In broad terms, before making a substantial investment in a dSLR, everyone wants to learn:

(a) If the are worth the price
(b) Really what they can do
(c) To be comfortable with a dSLR's features and capabilities

George, both you and Samuel have made several excellent points:

(a) Don't buy more camera than you really need
(b) Don't be in a hurry, new models are introduced quite often
(C) Really become proficient with the dSLR that you already own

Sarah Joyce

Sarah,

But... you should have one example of a professional dSLR, Like a D1H (thinking of cost here) for your students to handle, to show the difference, and there is a difference. And maybe an old Kodak 410 (fairly cheap on e-bay) for a little history as well. ;) I would have said try to get a Kodak NC2000, but I don't know where you would find one. Don't forget to cover the 4:3 system and medium format digital-backs as well, to round out the lesson.