PDA

View Full Version : Will this flash work?

new to digicam
03-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Can anyone help out a newbie please? I have an old Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 285 flash, I was wondering if this flash will work on my D70? If yes, what settings are good, any other tips available, will this flash harm my camera in any way? Thanks for your responses. tc.

dwig
03-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Maybe, and then it could easily destroy the computer circuitry in the camera.

Many early flashes, most that didn't have some form of "dedicated circuitry", used rather simple trigger circuitry that presented 300-500 volts to the sync contacts. I don't remember the 285 well enough to know all of its variants. Its sister, the 283, was manufactured originally with high voltage trigger circuits and later with a more modern low-voltage trigger circuit. Only the latter 283 is safe to use on modern cameras.

I you wish to try the 285, either use a good volt meter to measure the sync voltage or use it via a two contact PC cord without mounting it in the camera's flash shoe. Only if you can prove yours uses less than 20v for the sync contacts, should you mount it on any modern camera.

D70FAN
03-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Can anyone help out a newbie please? I have an old Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 285 flash, I was wondering if this flash will work on my D70? If yes, what settings are good, any other tips available, will this flash harm my camera in any way? Thanks for your responses. tc.

Send a note to Nikon at Nikon USA and ask. Might as well get the information straight from Nikon.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=cu_contact1

yusuf
09-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Why don't you measure trigger voltage for your flash. You flash might be just fine for your camera if trigger voltage is low (comply to ISO 10330)

Yusuf

D70FAN
09-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Why don't you measure trigger voltage for your flash. You flash might be just fine for your camera if trigger voltage is low (comply to ISO 10330)

Yusuf

I hate to harsh your input, but the last entry was in March of this year. Hopefully he knows by now. ;)

yusuf
09-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Sure, but it may be helpful for others. :)

Yusuf

Nick
09-07-2005, 09:44 AM
I have a 283, the 10,000 volt version ;) The D70 is A_OK with it however since I bought and use a Wein Safe-Sync ( high voltage regulator ) for the flash to prevent any unexplained fires.