PDA

View Full Version : Overall DSLR Question

tonay
03-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Hello

My dad is willing to give me all his old canon SLR lenses for his standard film SLR camara. By old I'm talking 15 years + or -. Are these lense compatable with the DSLR cameras? Are they not worth it, poor quality, won't fit the pin holes etc...?

Thanks for the insight.

Rhys
03-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Hello

My dad is willing to give me all his old canon SLR lenses for his standard film SLR camara. By old I'm talking 15 years + or -. Are these lense compatable with the DSLR cameras? Are they not worth it, poor quality, won't fit the pin holes etc...?

Thanks for the insight.

If the cameras are Canon EOS cameras then they're autofocus and well worthwhile.

If the cameras are AE1s etc then they'll be FD lenses suitable for film cameras only.

If they're by Canon then they'll have a high resale value. If they're by some manufacturer from ungabungaland then probably not.

D70FAN
03-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Hello

Thanks for the insight.

Give us some lens numbers and we might be able to answer better. Are these EF, EFS? Example: EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (+ any additional letters/numbers).

Canon dSLR's can handle most Canon lenses.

ReF
03-05-2005, 06:16 AM
i agree with the above posts. i am using a 50mm f1.8 lens that is about 15 years old and it works great. it's even got an overall better design and build than the new version. fifteen years ago i think everyone with a canon SLR owned the 50mm f1.8

Left to right: 50mm 1.4, 50mm f1.8 (old), 50mm f1.8 II (new) big difference between the new and old versions eh?