PDA

View Full Version : DX7440- Batteries and Memory cards

fgreenhut
08-16-2004, 11:50 AM
I have decided to buy a DX-7440 and when I do I want to buy an extra battery and also get a memory card. I checked Kodak's site and they make two batteries that are compatable with the 7440. Both are Lithium Ion batteries. One is a 1700 mAh and the other is named Easy share.
What is the difference between the two and which one do the people in this forum recommend?

As to memory cards, the 7440 can use an SD card or a Multimedia card. Kodak says either can be used. Other than the lock that comes on the SD card, what is the difference between the two and again which would you recommend? I would probably lean towards the SD because it comes in 512MB and the Multimedia I believe does not.

Thank you for any advice.

Fred

speaklightly
08-16-2004, 03:42 PM
This Kodak Camera, the DX-7440 can use two batteries. The KLIC-5000, and the KLIC-5001. Both batteries are available. The KLIC-5001 has a longer life.

The SD chip is preferable to use in this digital camera. SD chips are just about all the same, just look for a cheap price at a site likewww.ecost.com.

Sarah Joyce

speaklightly
08-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I just checked www.ecost.com and they have a 256mb Lexar brand SD chip for $28. That is an excellent buy.

Sarah Joyce

fgreenhut
08-16-2004, 04:52 PM
This Kodak Camera, the DX-7440 can use two batteries. The KLIC-5000, and the KLIC-5001. Both batteries are available. The KLIC-5001 has a longer life.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks Sarah.

How do these numbers (KLIC-5000, and KLIC-5001] corelate with Kodak's
description of the two batteries ?
Li-Ion rechargeable battery - 1700 mAH
EASYSHARE Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery

Fred

speaklightly
08-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Fred,

Those are the product descriptions right from the Kodak Tech Dept. This is only my personal opinion and it is probably biased by the fact that I own multiple digital cameras, but I would not purchase and extra battery.

These are Lithium Ion batteries. They can be charged at ANY time you desire without damage to the battery. so why purchase another??

Sarah Joyce

fgreenhut
08-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Fred,

Those are the product descriptions right from the Kodak Tech Dept. This is only my personal opinion and it is probably biased by the fact that I own multiple digital cameras, but I would not purchase and extra battery.

These are Lithium Ion batteries. They can be charged at ANY time you desire without damage to the battery. so why purchase another??

Sarah Joyce

Sarah,

Ever since I've owned a digital camera I have carried extra batteries. You never know when your battery goes dead and needs recharging. It has happened to me when I am on a trip and I just pop in a new set, There are times when you can't wait or are not in a position to recharge batteries.

Fred

speaklightly
08-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Fred-

As I tried to explain to you, I own many digital cameras and always carry at least three digital cameras with me all the times. Therefore, a spare battery, to me personally, is not a big deal.

Your situation made indeed be completely different. It is always a wise idea to carry a spare battery if you are shooting with just one digital camera.

Sarah Joyce

fgreenhut
08-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Fred-

As I tried to explain to you, I own many digital cameras and always carry at least three digital cameras with me all the times. Therefore, a spare battery, to me personally, is not a big deal.

Your situation made indeed be completely different. It is always a wise idea to carry a spare battery if you are shooting with just one digital camera.

Sarah Joyce

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Fred

fgreenhut
08-17-2004, 03:07 PM
I just checked www.ecost.com and they have a 256mb Lexar brand SD chip for $28. That is an excellent buy.

Sarah Joyce

Would you happen to know if this card is compatable with the DX 7440?

Thanks,

Fred

speaklightly
08-17-2004, 06:27 PM
Fred-

The SD chip I directed you to last night at e-cost.com is FULLY compatible with the Kodak DX-7440. It is a Lexar (excellent brand) brand 256mb SD chip and sells for $28, which is a bargain.

Sarah Joyce

fgreenhut
08-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Fred-

The SD chip I directed you to last night at e-cost.com is FULLY compatible with the Kodak DX-7440. It is a Lexar (excellent brand) brand 256mb SD chip and sells for $28, which is a bargain.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks. I ordered one . . . and I don't even have my camera yet.

Fred

speaklightly
08-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Fred-

Just as an experiment this morning, I first slipped the KLIC 5000 in to my Kodak DX-7440 and it worked fine. Then I slipped the Kodak KLIC 5001 (from my Kodak DX-6490) into the Kodak DX-7440 and it also worked equally well, just fine.

Sarah Joyce

pgoelz
09-15-2004, 06:54 PM
OK, here's the poop on the batteries. I own one of each. The KLIC5000 is a 1050 mAH lithium cell and the KLIC5001 is a 1700 mAH lithium cell (about 1.7 times the capacity of the KLIC500 cell). I got around two hours of playing around with the DX7440 with the display on with the 1050 mAH KLIC5000. I have not run the KLIC5001 down yet.

I fly lithium powered electric model airplanes and the word from the lithium cell manufacturers is that lithium cells are not supposed to be stored less than 50% charged, so it might be a good idea to charge your batteries before storage. The good side is that they only self discharge about 1-2% per month so you can charge one and carry it as a spare for a LONG time.

Paul

Shooter4
09-19-2004, 05:59 AM
Thanks Sarah.

How do these numbers (KLIC-5000, and KLIC-5001] corelate with Kodak's
description of the two batteries ?
Li-Ion rechargeable battery - 1700 mAH
EASYSHARE Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery

Fred

Does anyone know if the KLIC5001 has a longer life than Kodak's Li-Ion rechageable battery 1700mAH or the EASYSHARE Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery? And is the KLIC 5001 as compatible with the 7440 as the two Kodak batteries. Thanks, Shooter4

yonco
09-19-2004, 09:09 AM
KLIC-5000 and KLIC-5001 are part names for certain models of Lithium-Ion batteries. The ones you can find at the Kodak website are two Lithium-Ion batteries. The KLIC-5000 is the model number for Kodak (http://www.kodak.com)'s EasyShare rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery with a 1050 mAh capacity. This one comes with the DX7440, and lasts pretty long. It will take about two hours to charge. I own the DX7440, so this information comes from experience.
The KLIC-5001 is the model number for Kodak (http://www.kodak.com)'s EasyShare rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery with a 1700 mAh capacity (longer-lasting battery, will cost about $30). It's a great battery that will take about three hours to charge. I own it and do not regret buying it. You'll need an extra battery, trust me.
If you look for these model names on the Internet you'll find some Li-Ion batteries that may have different mAh capacity, but are still compatible with the DX7440, because it supports those two kinds of batteries. Though, I prefered to buy the Kodak battery since it has the Kodak name on it, and for me it's just pretty reassuring quality-wise. You don't know what to expect when you buy another one that's just not familiar.