PDA

View Full Version : Do not buy the S-60 until Canon fix's the follow problems

Glen A
07-05-2004, 10:58 AM
After taking the camera home and preparing it for an extended test session. I was turning the camera on and off to get a feel for the new door configuration. Only to find the lens door would not come to a rest abutted to the strap holder/door stop but would “jump” over the stop. Causing the door to come to a rest 1 to 2 mm beyond the stop, thus exerting enough pressure on the doors latch system so it had to be forced off the top of the stop with an inordinate amount of pressure.

Once the door had “popped” off the stop the lens retraction mechanism would engage and retract the lens with the door still in the normal open position. It also became obvious that whenever the door “jumped” the stop, great strain was being applied to the hinge mechanism and would damage the hinge system and render it non-operational in a very short time. Or perhaps cause the door to break off due to the work hardening effect the constant stretching of the hinge system was subjected too as it “jumped” the stop.
I returned the camera the next day wishing I had bought the S-50 due to it's bomb proof design.

For the amount of money Canon is asking for this camera there should be no faults of the this type that will only compromise the camera. The battery/memory door is another bone of contention for me. It's made of plastic and hinged in such a way that it is very weak and unsupported and will break off with the first accidental bang.

Gravy88
07-06-2004, 02:03 PM
It sounds like your received a bad camera. I have had my s60 for a few weeks now and have had no problem with the door. This is a great camera. I hope you can get this resolved.

Glen A
07-07-2004, 11:47 PM
I see my thread has brought some well deserved criticism. I now realize I should have started my diatribe with " Warning". I assure you I have no agenda towards Canon.
I, like most anybody will take the time to investigate what I am buying. Having gleamed as much information about this new product and having owed the S-30, I felt the S-60 would be a good upgrade on an already great platform.
Since I am still looking for a new camera I have been able to test 5 more S-60's and have found 3 of the 5 exhibiting the same problem. I would say that is a unacceptable rate of defective cameras being released to the consumer. At almost 700 hundred dollors Canadian, I should not have to test several examples until I find one that works.
Since we in Canada get any new products/upgrades at least a month be-hide you in the US. I am wondering do we get Canon products from the same manufacturing plant.? Have we been unlucky to get all the day's production the day after a national holiday that fell on a Wednesday?
Thanks for being productive with your criticism and I will let you know what Canon Canada has to say about this situation.

fogllama
07-16-2004, 01:29 PM
I believe you, but have not experienced the problem described on my personal S60 using moderate amounts of force on the door. I must have one of the lucky 2 in 5.

If someone is planning on using the S60 primarily underwater, this shouldn't be a decision factor. The lens door is always open while the camera is in the underwater housing.

The camera can be turned off by pressing the Function button for 5 seconds, and turned on by half pressing the shutter release.

ilandr
07-31-2004, 09:01 PM
I haven't had any problems with the cover on mine either, though it is possible to make it to jump over the stop if pressure is applied to the part of the cover furthest away from the stop. It can lever the cover up at an angle rather than have it sliding parallel to the camera body. With mine, you have to press pretty hard to accomplish this though. In normal operation, the cover stops exactly where it should each time.

Has Canon given you an answer to this problem yet?

Mazatlaner
08-12-2004, 10:05 AM
I am now living in Mazatlan, Mexico and I want to buy a 5mp camera with at least a 28mm (35mm equivalent) wide angle lens when I go up to Nogales, Arizona next month. I am very nervous about the Canon S60 because of the sliding door issue which seems to be rather common, and another issue I've read about is that the sliding door closes when/if you touch it while taking pictures which shuts the camera off! Is it that sensitive? How on earth can you hold it to take pictures without touching that sliding door which covers half of the front of the camera? Any thoughts or suggestions? The only other camera I have been considering is the new Fuji FinePix E510 which also has a 28mm lens for wide shots. I have a Canon G3 at present which I love, but it only goes to 35mm wide and the "wide lens attachment" I have for it vignettes rather severly at the corners! Not a solution. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks much!!

showell
08-13-2004, 08:40 AM
I have an S60 and have had no problems. When I first got it, I found the sliding door to be cumbersome and I can see where someone might exert too much strength and knock the door off it's track. But after a few days of using the camera, I adjusted to how the door slides and I have had no problems whatsoever. It's like riding a bicycle...once you learn you don't have to think about it and it just "works".

;)