PDA

View Full Version : Coke Spill

DigicamMan
08-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi All

I have a problem and it needs fixing. My camera (an Olympus D-390) was inside a soft case inside a backpack and a coke bottle spilled inside the backpack, subjecting the camera to severe damage from the inside. I have read that you can not open it up because of the shock, so I am at a blank. After drying the camera out, it will turn on, and the screen will be all white, with little wet splotches. It makes a beeping noise now, but nothing else. What should I do?? :confused: :confused:

Please Help

PixChick
08-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Well, I am not an expert, but it seems that you have few options. I would guess you could call the company and find out if there is any way to have it fixed (most likely at a cost to you) or take it to a camera shop and ask them the same. There is always the obvious and unfortunate option of having to buy a new camera. Unless someone knows how to fix it for a minimal cost, you may have no choice. I wish I could be more optimistic for you :(

PixChick :)

kgosden
08-16-2004, 09:32 PM
I cannot think of too many things worse to get inside your camera than soda. It sounds like it would take at least a complete disassembly and cleaning. But odds are that the soda has contaminated the CCD or lens. Considering that the D-390 is a dated 2MP camera with no optical zoom it is not likely to be worth the minimum $100-150 it would cost just to crack it open. For $150 you could replace it with a newer Olympus or Fuji (either one will use your xD cards) and probably get 3MP and an optical zoom.

gb_in_ga
02-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I'll second what kgodsen says.

I'd say that it is pretty much an absolute certainty that it will cost less to replace it with a newer, more capable model than it will be to fix it, assuming that fixing it is even possible. Any liquid inside of any electronic device is bad news, but coke is about the worst, and it sounds to me like it really got it bad. If it were me, I'd be blowing taps for it and be thinking about giving it a decent "burial", for I'd say that it is well and truly dead.

Rex914
02-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Replace it. I don't even want to know how much they'll charge you to fix an outdated camera.