PDA

View Full Version : Zoom lens for a Sony DSC F717

GMNelson
08-16-2004, 08:37 AM
I've recently purchased a Sony DSC F717 and I love it! I do, however, want to be able to get some better long-range shots. I see threads on my camera's existing lens and I've seen F717 "packages" sold with telephoto lenses so I'm assuming I can add lenses fairly easily. My question: Can I use any telephoto lens for this camera? I have a limited budget so am looking for some recommendations on manufacturers, suppliers, specifications, etc.

Thanks!

Jake Conner
08-16-2004, 12:41 PM
You could use a third-party converter, but these are generally of low quality. Ranox is one exception, they make decent lenses, so if you are on a very tight budget they might be a good choice. You will get much better quality, however, if you use the lenses that Sony makes specifically for this camera. I believe Olympus also makes a good, affordable 1.7x large-diameter lens, I believe John owns one so he could give you more info on it. The best and most powerful out there are a 2x from Century Optics ($400) and a 3x from Olympus ($550), but these are probably well out of your price range.

Jake

GMNelson
08-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks Jake.

I just checked the SonyStyle website and found both a telephoto lens and a wide-angle lens specifically for this camera. Both are reasonably priced.

Just wondering: How effective is a 2.0X zoom?

I know this camera also has digital zoom capabilities but I haven't played with it much as I have heard that digital zoom can adversely affect photo quality. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again.

Jake Conner
08-16-2004, 01:47 PM
A 2.0X lens means every focal length is multiplied by 2, though you can usually only use it at the telephoto end of things (not that you'd usually want it elsewhere). Digital zoom is worthless, you can do much better by cropping in photoshop (or any other photo editor) and interpolating in Genuine Fractals if needed.

Jake