PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Question

Mr. Peabody
03-03-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm half way through watching my "How to use your Canon 20D" DVD and taking notes.

Question about the Creative modes.

You have P, Tv, Av, M, and ADEP.

Which of the creative modes do you use the most and why?

I'm trying to figure out which one would be most beneficial to me.

I would guess for close ups and portraits that I would use Av. For sports and indoor photos, I would use Tv.

Maybe after I watch my DVD 10 times, I can answer my own questions. Who knows?

Is their some rule of thumb that I need to know?

03-03-2005, 08:15 PM
although I don't have a 20D... maybe I can enlighten u a bit...

I have a Canon A95 and it also has P, Av, Tv and Manual modes...
At first I was a total beginer and read that using Auto wasn't that great, that P mode was better... so I did...

I suggest you use P mode and learn how the camera does the exposure and everything. Then gradually you can try Av and Tv depending on your needs... you can even go to Manual.

For my part, I had to deal with certain limitations of my camera and thus use Av outdoors to try to prevent purple fringing... As for you, u should use Av or Manual for portraits to make sure you blur the background. For when you need a fast shutter, you can use Tv mode or M.

Remember 1 thing, this is a digital camera, it doesn't cost you any film to buy or to develop... so shoot away and learn.

EAP
03-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Also, with the software that comes with the A95, (Zoombrowser EX), once you download your shots you can view them in "preview" mode on your computer screen. The preview mode provides all the information about the exact settings you had on the camera when you took each shot. I am using this to learn the best exposures and modes for various shots. What I have found is that I can't tell on the camera's LCD screen what the difference is when I use different exposures and modes. I have to wait until I view them on the computer to really see the difference. But because there's no film to waste or pay for, I take a bunch of photos of the same thing, at a whole range of different scene modes, and manual, Tv, Av and auto exposures, to see what works the best for which shots -- and what didn't work. Perhaps your Canon has similar software capabilities; this will greatly help your learning curve.

gary_hendricks
03-05-2005, 08:50 AM
A good way to learn about these modes is to take photos with the auto mode on. Then review the pictures and see what settings the camera choose. Now, switch to full manual and play around with the settings and take the same photo.

This goes some way in helping you understand the exposure settings.