PDA

View Full Version : Does 20D handle highlights better than Rebels?

Canonfan
03-03-2005, 06:36 PM
One of my pet peaves with digitals is how the whites blast into oblivion any subtle details that may exist in pictures. I'm considering purchasing the 20D over the 350XT. It seems to me , after viewing images shot with both, that the 20D handles the highlights much better. Is that by nature of the chip thats being used in each camera or is it mainly a camera settings issue?

TenD
03-04-2005, 01:33 AM
The biggest thing that people seem to have a problem with using digital cameras is the decreased dynamic range the sensor has when compared to print film. Print film has a range of about 7 stops of light, whereas slide film and digital sensors have a dynamic range of about 5 stops. This is a fixed amount of capacity and you as the photographer have to make a decision if the range of light in the photograph exceeds the capacity of the medium. Utilizing the histogram will help with exposing pictures to preserve the highlights. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml
That being said, from what I have seen the 20D's meter seems to handle highlights better than the 10D, I can't really say for the 350D, although the few samples I have seen from the 350D seem to show a few blown highlights. I don't think however, that there has been a huge improvement in the dynamic range that a CMOS sensor can handle, the differences are in the way the camera meters. And these differences can be compensated for on any camera by using the Histogram to control exposure.

D70FAN
03-05-2005, 08:26 AM
One of my pet peaves with digitals is how the whites blast into oblivion any subtle details that may exist in pictures. I'm considering purchasing the 20D over the 350XT. It seems to me , after viewing images shot with both, that the 20D handles the highlights much better. Is that by nature of the chip thats being used in each camera or is it mainly a camera settings issue?

Probably the only dSLR with increased dynamic range is the Fuji S3 Pro as the Super CCD II actually has separate pixel elements to enhance dynamic range.

The difference between the 20D and DReb (or any other dSLR) is not dramatic, but there may be subtle differences, and I would speculate that higher density APS-C and sub APS-C (Canon) sensors actually have less (but probably not noticable) dynamic range at the sensor due to smaller pixel size.

Again I am specualting and it would be interesting to see a side-by-side test of the different sensors/cameras. The printed pictures I have seen (all 11x14) from 6 different dSLR's (at the local camera stores) would not sway me one way or the other.