PDA

View Full Version : "DIGIBEST" Reputable company??? NIKON @ good price - Anyone delt with them???

rvomsaal
08-16-2004, 12:55 AM
I found a really good deal on a NIKON from a company called "DiGiBest" out of Helsinki, Finland. Has anyone delt with them, heard of them, or know anyone that had dealings with them. I'd like to know if they're a reputable company.
Thanks to all who read and respond to this.

- RvomSaal

Lori
08-23-2004, 08:50 PM
I found the same site as you talked about and sent several e-mails in reference to the D100 and D70. Sent them my order and when they replied back got "RED FLAGS" when they advised me how they wanted me to pay.

Their reply was:
Please transfer the payment by Moneygram international transfer
to our financial manager as listed below. Please note, you only need
to know the name, city and country for this transfer
(receive code, account number, etc. is not required).

Name: Andrey Graf
City: Helsinki

Please email us the 8-digit reference number that you received from
MoneyGram after the transfer and full sender's name. As soon as we
receive this information we will ship your order.

After thinking about it for 24 hrs. I decided to cancel my order and told them I thought they were running a SCAM and would be reporting them to ALL athorities. I searched their name more on the web and found these complaints:

http://www.photo.net/neighbor/view-one?neighbor_to_neighbor_id=199170

I have since filed a complaint with http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp.

fatty_z
08-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi Guys.

DON"T buy with the company. It is a cheater. This guy (or girl) makes you send them money via Moneygram and they will never send you any cameras. I almost bought something (they recently changed their name from fine-tronics to digibest). DON"T DO IT !

foramit@hotmail.com
08-27-2004, 06:14 PM
They used to operate under Fine-tronics earlier. Now that site is closed.
Search on Google for Fine-tronics and you will see how they swindled money out of people. Sad that some people fell for that site.

Interestingly if you ask them that you want to pick the camera, they will say no, and they will also not provide any phone number !.

BIG TIME THEIVES. DONT SEND THEM ANY MONEY OR CONSIDER IT LOST.
Amit

foramit@hotmail.com
08-27-2004, 06:19 PM
I did a lot of reseach for ND70.
Thebest price with US warranty and all the Included accessaries for this camera is from 1250 to 1299$. Any thing less than that means the factor Accessories are missing and or there is no US warranty.

Check www.WOLFCAMERA.com for the complete list things supplied in the Factory sealed BOX.

Almost all the NY, NJ sellers who show verylow price on web, either dont have it, or have it with no US warranty and are missing factory supplied Accessories. If you buy them seperate the total will come to around 1299$.

I bought recently from wolfcamera, excellent service, free delivery an no sales tax in CA :)
There are other sites with almost same price: Make sure that they say it is US manufactures warranty : and not US warranty: + Also they say that included all factory supplied accessories. They get away saying its an wholesale Kit or some new term that they keep coming up with.

Amit

Rhys
08-28-2004, 05:53 AM
I checked on Digibest. There seems to be a company of the same name a 90 minute ferry ride across the water (in Estonia).

The company in Finland has this address

Mailing Address:
DiGiBest
Vanha Tapanilantie 42b
FIN-00726, Helsinki, Finland

Red flag1: "we offer branded goods at below cost"
- does this mean that they're a charity supporting the consumer?

Red flag2: The website is not registered in Finland or to a Finnish company. The who-is database says:

domain: DIGIBEST.NET
owner-address: Beverly Thornton
owner-address: 18 Hollowbrook Lane
owner-address: 10567
owner-address: Cortlandt Manor
owner-address: New York
owner-address: United States of America
owner-phone: 1.9145288816
6b74a9cb7ea4b8212ccf9fd3a7afee2d-857178@owner.gandi.net
admin-c: BT440-GANDI
tech-c: AR41-GANDI
bill-c: BT440-GANDI
nserver: dns1.hrnoc.net 216.120.225.19
nserver: dns2.hrnoc.net 216.120.238.254
reg_created: 2004-07-14 07: 26: 25
expires: 2005-07-14 07: 26: 25
created: 2004-07-14 13: 26: 25
changed: 2004-07-14 23: 20: 04
person: Beverly Thornton
nic-hdl: BT440-GANDI
address: 18 Hollowbrook Lane
address: 10567
address: Cortlandt Manor
address: New York
address: United States of America
phone: 1.9145288816
tes637drny@yahoo.com
lastupdated: 2004-07-12 14: 53: 42
person: GANDI Auto Register 4.1
nic-hdl: AR41-GANDI
address: GANDI
address: 38 rue Notre-Dame de Nazareth
address: F-75003
address: Paris
address: France
phone: N/A
support@gandi.net

Red flag 3:from their FAQ "What payment methods do you accept?
Due to the high risk of credit card fraud we accept payments only via MoneyGram money transfer service. "
- If I was selling cameras in bulk, I'd be taking automated card payments. Time would be of more value than the potential for fraud (which the card companies are spotting and eliminating very quickly - case in fact: My card company rang me a couple of weeks ago to enquire whether I'd put a £286 bet on a betting website. I hadn't but can identify the guy who probably copied my card number as being a waiter at an Italian restaurant in Cardiff so the card company cancelled the card and issued a new one with a different number.

Red flag 4: Why is there no Finnish version of the website?
- If the shop's in Helsinki then the site should be in Finnish with an English option, unless Beverly Thornton does not speak Finnish! :P

Red flag 5: Why are the prices in dollars not Euros?
- The Euro is the biggest currency in the area.

Red flag 6: Why is the site so obviously pitched towards Americans?
- Looking at the "customer feedback", all the "customers" come from the US. Why, if it's such an international site and based in Finland, don't they have customers from elsewhere?

Conclusion: These people need to do a lot more on PR as they don't look very trustworthy. In fact, they look amateurish. :p I'd tend to go along with the view that the site is quite likely fraudulant. I've heard mention of a woman working there (in my research) who seems to have a Russian name. My best guess is that there's Russian mafia involved here somewhere.

Concerned Nephew
09-05-2004, 02:28 AM
Let me start off by acknowledging that DIGIBEST.NET IS A FRAUDULENT WEBSITE! IT IS NOT A REAL STORE, IT IS A SCAM THAT WILL ONLY TAKE YOUR MONEY. That said, Beverly Thornton is not to blame. She is not a scammer, nor a leader in some internet crime ring. In fact, she is barely proficient with computers at all, and is a very nice person. She is my aunt, and sheís also a victim of identity theft. Yes, her credit card was used to register for the domain and pay for the cost of the servers, but that was after it was lost/stolen. I honestly donít know how people found this out, but since this information about her has been posted on message boards like this one, she has been getting death threats and nasty phone calls at all hours of the night from people demanding refunds and threatening to come to her house. She doesnít know what to do about it. She called me to tell me to make this post, because she was scared to make a post herself, at the risk of provoking further harassment. Iím very sorry to all of you who have lost money to this scam, however, my aunt Beverly is NOT TO BLAME. I assure you, she did not profit from this whole ordeal.

If you donít believe me, you can call the town of Cortland police department, as they have a report filed and are handling the situation. I would personally like to see the people behind this scam prosecuted, and if you have any information, report it to the authorities. A report has also been filed with the FBI, but I donít know what they can do about it. If you have any questions, you can email me at RUmathmajor@post.com. I will personally answer any emails I receive on this topic. I have posted this exact message on several other message boards, but you can help me out by copying this message to other boards about the digibest.com scam that I was not able to find and/or register for. Please help, my Aunt is very distraught about all this, and is really afraid that somebody will come to her house.

Rhys
09-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Let me start off by acknowledging that DIGIBEST.NET IS A FRAUDULENT WEBSITE! IT IS NOT A REAL STORE, IT IS A SCAM THAT WILL ONLY TAKE YOUR MONEY. That said, Beverly Thornton is not to blame. She is not a scammer, nor a leader in some internet crime ring. In fact, she is barely proficient with computers at all, and is a very nice person. She is my aunt, and sheís also a victim of identity theft. Yes, her credit card was used to register for the domain and pay for the cost of the servers, but that was after it was lost/stolen. I honestly donít know how people found this out, but since this information about her has been posted on message boards like this one, she has been getting death threats and nasty phone calls at all hours of the night from people demanding refunds and threatening to come to her house. She doesnít know what to do about it. She called me to tell me to make this post, because she was scared to make a post herself, at the risk of provoking further harassment. Iím very sorry to all of you who have lost money to this scam, however, my aunt Beverly is NOT TO BLAME. I assure you, she did not profit from this whole ordeal.

If you donít believe me, you can call the town of Cortland police department, as they have a report filed and are handling the situation. I would personally like to see the people behind this scam prosecuted, and if you have any information, report it to the authorities. A report has also been filed with the FBI, but I donít know what they can do about it. If you have any questions, you can email me at RUmathmajor@post.com. I will personally answer any emails I receive on this topic. I have posted this exact message on several other message boards, but you can help me out by copying this message to other boards about the digibest.com scam that I was not able to find and/or register for. Please help, my Aunt is very distraught about all this, and is really afraid that somebody will come to her house.

Lol. Plausability rating - somewhat less than zero.

If true then the credit card company would have advised contacting the domain registrar who would have cancelled the domain immediately. If indeed the domain was paid for with a stolen credit card then the domain company upon a claim from the card company would have closed down the website directions. The website would have been effectively killed.

I smell so much that's fishy in this whole thread that I do wonder whether it's all been setup by a troll.

Concerned Nephew
09-06-2004, 06:39 PM
To Rhys and any other nonbelievers,

The credit card has been cancelled! The domain registrar won't cancel the domain because they require a password, and since she didn't open the account, she doesn't know it.

The credit card account was used to pay Google Adwords. She has contacted them and this is all they will say:

Hello Bev,

Thank you for informing us of fraudulent charges to your credit card. I
apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered and thank you for
your patience.

To help us identify and shut down the associated account, please reply to
this email with the date of the charges and the exact amount of the
charges. I will have our engineers research the origin of the charges, and
we will shut down the account so that you do not accrue additional
fraudulent charges. If you have not already done so, I also advise you to
contact your credit card company to cancel your credit card and to receive
credit for the fraudulent charges.

Please feel free to write us at adwords-charge@google.com if you have
additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Julia
The Google AdWords Team

Not very helpful! She sent more info, but google hasn't gotten back yet.

Again, Digibest.net is a scam. I'm not trying to propogate it, I'm simply trying to keep people from blaming the wrong person. You can email me at RUmathmajor@post.com. I will answer your email. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you know how she can shut down this site, please email me!

Rhys
09-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Domains can be cancelled easily.

1. Download the surrender form from the website and fill it in and send it off.
2. Write and complain that the domain is being used fraudulantly and that the address/name contact is false and also that this constitutes "identity theft" which I understand is a criminal offence in many countries.

Simple.

I own two domains so I know exactly what I'm talking about.

jim fleeb
09-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Same scum... buyer beware. Don't send them your money

jim fleeb
09-14-2004, 08:13 AM
DIGIBEST is now SUNLIGHTICS

watch out, same folks same operation. also operating at SLANDWATCHES, ostensibly out of Switzerland.

I think these guys must be russian mafia

Riallin
09-16-2004, 03:54 PM
couldn't find digibest.net, but thats already been posted. I did, however, find digibest.info:

Domain ID:D6138727-LRMS
Domain Name:DIGIBEST.INFO
Created On:25-Aug-2004 04:54:55 UTC
Expiration Date:25-Aug-2005 04:54:55 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R191-LRMS
Registrant ID:C5133265-LRMS
Registrant Name:brent payne
Registrant Organization:brent payne
Registrant Street1:14300 n northsight blvd
Registrant City:scottsdale
Registrant State/Province:Arizona
Registrant Postal Code:85260
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.4805133884
Registrant Email:04ecfd42ae6d498175fb8c5f0d3032d7-864350@owner.gandi.net
Admin ID:C5133264-LRMS
Admin Name:brent payne
Admin Street1:14300 n northsight blvd
Admin City:scottsdale
Admin State/Province:Arizona
Admin Postal Code:85260
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.4805133884
Admin Email:0a1addb61b1bbb576b5eec9d7e709ebe-bp1126@contact.gandi.net
Billing ID:C1249598-LRMS
Billing Name:CONTACT NOT AUTHORITATIVE see http://www.gandi.net/whois
Billing Organization:GANDI sarl
Billing Street1:see also whois.gandi.net
Billing City:Paris
Billing Postal Code:F-75003
Billing Country:FR
Billing Email:support@gandi.net
Tech ID:C1249598-LRMS
Tech Name:CONTACT NOT AUTHORITATIVE see http://www.gandi.net/whois
Tech Organization:GANDI sarl
Tech Street1:see also whois.gandi.net
Tech City:Paris
Tech Postal Code:F-75003
Tech Country:FR
Tech Email:support@gandi.net
Name Server:FULL1.GANDI.NET
Name Server:FULL2.GANDI.NET

Riallin
09-16-2004, 04:00 PM
OrgName: HostRocket Web Services
OrgID: HRWE
Address: 21 Corporate Drive - Suite 203
City: Clifton Park
StateProv: NY
PostalCode: 12065

NetRange: 66.147.224.0 - 66.147.239.255
CIDR: 66.147.224.0/20
NetName: HRWEBSERVICES-2
NetHandle: NET-66-147-224-0-1
Parent: NET-66-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: DNS1.HRNOC.NET
NameServer: DNS2.HRNOC.NET
NameServer: DNS3.HRNOC.NET
NameServer: DNS4.HRNOC.NET
Comment:
RegDate: 2004-02-05
Updated: 2004-02-05

TechHandle: JR1716-ARIN
TechName: Reyes, John
TechPhone: +1-518-371-3421
TechEmail: john@hostrocket.com

OrgAbuseHandle: JR1716-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Reyes, John
OrgAbusePhone: +1-518-371-3421
OrgAbuseEmail: john@hostrocket.com

OrgNOCHandle: JR1716-ARIN
OrgNOCName: Reyes, John
OrgNOCPhone: +1-518-371-3421
OrgNOCEmail: john@hostrocket.com

OrgTechHandle: JR1716-ARIN
OrgTechName: Reyes, John
OrgTechPhone: +1-518-371-3421
OrgTechEmail: john@hostrocket.com

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2004-09-15 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

Jeff Keller
09-17-2004, 09:31 PM
Closing this thread...