PDA

View Full Version : Sony V1, P100 or Canon S1 IS?

tamara
08-15-2004, 09:55 PM
I have been researching these three cameras. I like the zoom on the Canon. It seems Sony may be better with low light pictures. They both seem to have pros and cons. I have small children and maily take pictures of them. So I take action pictures inside and outside. Are there any other better cameras for a beginner to intermediate? This will be my first digital camera. Price is not a huge factor, but really do not want to spend tons. Thank you in advance.

speaklightly
08-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Tha Canon S-1 has a lot of positive features, but a poor flash. Looking at the other two digital cameras, both are Sony and I feel that there might even be a better Sony digital camera choice: the Sony W-1.

In terms of handling and size, the W-1 has a lot going for it.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
08-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Tha Canon S-1 has a lot of positive features, but a poor flash. Looking at the other two digital cameras, both are Sony and I feel that there might even be a better Sony digital camera choice: the Sony W-1.

In terms of handling and size, the W-1 has a lot going for it.

Sarah Joyce

Yup. The W-1 is pretty spiffy for the price. My wife has a Sony DSC S85 (a 4MP predicessor to the W1) and likes it a lot. Like most compact cameras, and some not so compact cameras, red-eye can be a problem. But that's about the only negative. The rest is very nice.

Give it a try at your local camera store before you buy, but I think you'll like it.

Jake Conner
08-16-2004, 12:17 PM
I believe she was looking at the V1 for its low-light features (IR and Holo-AF), which I don't believe the W-1 has. However, for low light pictures of kids, image stabilization might be the best feature of all. BUT, you'd probably also want an AF assist lamp, which the S1 doesn't offer. You might want to wait for Panasonic's new FZ3, which has a better lens even than the S1 along with IS and an AF assist lamp. If you can't wait, you could get an FZ10 and add an illuminator via the hot-shoe (which the S1 lacks).

Jake

Rhys
08-16-2004, 12:50 PM
I quite like my S1. Having said that, I think there are other equally capable cameras around. I don't consider the S1 a particularly fast camera to use. It's not bad but it just doesn't seem to me to be as fast into action as say my Nikon FM.

Image stabilisation is a wonderful thing. I enclose two images. One stabilised, one not. Both f3.5 both 1/50th second, both 58mm focal length. I think you can work out which.

D70FAN
08-16-2004, 01:19 PM
I believe she was looking at the V1 for its low-light features (IR and Holo-AF), which I don't believe the W-1 has. However, for low light pictures of kids, image stabilization might be the best feature of all. BUT, you'd probably also want an AF assist lamp, which the S1 doesn't offer. You might want to wait for Panasonic's new FZ3, which has a better lens even than the S1 along with IS and an AF assist lamp. If you can't wait, you could get an FZ10 and add an illuminator via the hot-shoe (which the S1 lacks).

Jake

Yup. We know that. Just trying to help on the family camera front. Not everyone needs a 12X zoom, and the W-1 is a nice cost-effective family camera. By the same token the FZ3 would work as well, with the 12X lens. So it certainly gives another good choice.

speaklightly
08-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Everthing considered in this case, I still believe that the Sony W-1 with its LESSER price and similiar skills would be better than the Sony V-1. That is just my opinion.

Sarah Joyce