PDA

View Full Version : Show us your camera gear!

Rex914
03-02-2005, 10:07 PM
I saw this topic on the FM forums and thought it would be really fun to do here. Take a picture of all your camera gear inside your main camera bag/backpack.

Of course, tell us what main pieces of gear (body, lenses, flashes, etc.) you've got.

Rhys
03-03-2005, 08:36 AM
I saw this topic on the FM forums and thought it would be really fun to do here. Take a picture of all your camera gear inside your main camera bag/backpack.

Of course, tell us what main pieces of gear (body, lenses, flashes, etc.) you've got.

Why? So that some scumbag can pick and choose who to trace and burgle?

Digideb
03-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Am I missing something, here? What is the purpose of showing pix of your gear? Is there a desired result? :confused:
I'm just a newbie & rarely visit this section of the forum, but curiousity got the best of me when I saw this post pop up. :p

ktixx
03-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Am I missing something, here? What is the purpose of showing pix of your gear? Is there a desired result? :confused:
I'm just a newbie & rarely visit this section of the forum, but curiousity got the best of me when I saw this post pop up. :p

I think the main point of it is "Inside your main camera bag" Just to see how people store their equipment and what type they have

Digideb
03-03-2005, 10:26 AM
...I'm far from being an expert, but if that's all there is to it, I think it kinda sounds like "Gear-o-philia" activity. :rolleyes:
Well, don't mind me, I'm a novice. What do I know? :o

D70FAN
03-03-2005, 10:50 AM
...I'm far from being an expert, but if that's all there is to it, I think it kinda sounds like "Gear-o-philia" activity. :rolleyes:
Well, don't mind me, I'm a novice. What do I know? :o

Actually, I think we are all scratching our heads over this one. Sorry (REX914), but I too fail to see the benefit of showing ones kit. I don't even like public bathrooms. :rolleyes: Am I being Photo-gear-phobic or maybe this goes beyond the surface to some Freudian thing.

Hmmm? ;)

Digideb
03-03-2005, 11:13 AM
He he he, good one, George! :D Maybe this forum should have an "Intervention Thread". When members see another member becoming too enamored with their gear, we can help them "sober up" & encourage them to just get out in the world & take great pictures! ;)
Just kidding!...in case someone doesn't get my silly joke. :p

Rex914
03-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Huh? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think I'm more confused about your negative/skeptical responses than you are about the intent. ktixx hit it on the mark. It's just to see how different people store their stuff and what they consider useful/useless to bring along.

Perhaps if I link to the original, you'll see where this is coming from.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/184681

Rhys
03-03-2005, 03:38 PM
I still think one's possessions are best kept safe from prying eyes.

D70FAN
03-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Huh? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think I'm more confused about your negative/skeptical responses than you are about the intent. ktixx hit it on the mark. It's just to see how different people store their stuff and what they consider useful/useless to bring along.

Perhaps if I link to the original, you'll see where this is coming from.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/184681

Naw. Rhys is negative. But the rest of us are just having fun at you expense. We are rarely skeptical. Don't take this so seriously. :D

To be honest, I just don't feel like taking a picture of my kit. Suffice is to say that everything I carry day-to-day (D70, Sigma 18-125, memory cards, batteries, and video cable) fits in a Loewpro TLZ Mini. Extra lenses and laptop travel in a briefcase or backpack depending on business or pleasure.

Rex914
03-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Naw. Rhys is negative. But the rest of us are just having fun at you expense. We are rarely skeptical. Don't take this so seriously. :D

To be honest, I just don't feel like taking a picture of my kit. Suffice is to say that everything I carry day-to-day (D70, Sigma 18-125, memory cards, batteries, and video cable) fits in a Loewpro TLZ Mini. Extra lenses and laptop travel in a briefcase or backpack depending on business or pleasure.

Wow, you can fit all of that into a TLZ Mini? Those things are small. You must really have an easy time carrying your stuff around.

D70FAN
03-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Wow, you can fit all of that into a TLZ Mini? Those things are small. You must really have an easy time carrying your stuff around.

Yup. Actually the D70 with the Sigma is smaller than it looks. The front zipper compartment is pretty stuffed, but it all fits.

Again, keep in mind that if I want to carry extra lenses they are in a briefcase a backpack or in belt cases. But it's still pretty efficient.

If the Tamron or Sigma 18-200 is a halfway decent lens I can probably leave the Nikkor 70-300 home as well. We shall see...

When you travel 100K+ miles a year you learn to travel light. ;)

ReF
03-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Why? So that some scumbag can pick and choose who to trace and burgle?

i'll have to agree with Rhys here. i've been followed twice already(VERY OBVIOUS! NO MISTAKE!), once in Portland Oregon and once in Huntington Beach, CA by a 20-28 year old white male with spikey blonde hair driving a red honda civic. i was followed another time but that had nothing to do with cameras. anyways, the threat of being being robbed or even hurt is very real. i have my equipment bag set up to be low key on purpose.

i got a bag that had several compartments to keep my filters, memory cards, microfiber cloths, battery charger, and even gloves, scarf,(it's cold at high elevations!) etc. seperated and easy to access. i also felt the need for a bag that was easy to access while it was on my shoulders; backpacks that need to be taken off seem like a huge hassle. sealing out dust, etc and padding are also important. a thick shoulder strap is more comfortable than a thin one - comfort is very important if you will be carrying your bag around for several hours or even an entire day at a time. my bag is only moderately sized but can hold the camera body, 17-40L, 28-135 IS, 50mm f1.8, and one additional midsized lens.

Rhys
03-05-2005, 08:21 AM
i'll have to agree with Rhys here. i've been followed twice already(VERY OBVIOUS! NO MISTAKE!), once in Portland Oregon and once in Huntington Beach, CA by a 20-28 year old white male with spikey blonde hair driving a red honda civic. i was followed another time but that had nothing to do with cameras. anyways, the threat of being being robbed or even hurt is very real. i have my equipment bag set up to be low key on purpose.

Another reason I like all-in-ones. Less to carry and more unobtrusive.

What I like are the idiots that seem to think they can keep following me when I'm driving. They never seem to realise that I've driven down the same street three times with them in tow! Then I just lose them in sidestreets.

ktixx
03-05-2005, 01:19 PM

I have a small backpack, enough to fit my 20D with (attached) sigma 18-125 lens, (soon to aquire) 50 1.8, RCA Lyra (RD2780), filters (UV, Polarized, Red, Orange), cleaning equipment and extra batteries. It is also large enough to carry a flash and possibly another lens if necessary. The question I have is what type of locking mechanism do people here use? If I have a backpack on should I worry about a theif opening the zipiper compartments and grabbing something? I noitce that on the backpack the zippers are tight around the corners, I think this was intentional by the manufacturer so that they couldn't easily (and not noticably) slipped open. Does someone make a quick unlocking mechanism that wouldn't be obstructive?
Ken

Rhys
03-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I have a small backpack, enough to fit my 20D with (attached) sigma 18-125 lens, (soon to aquire) 50 1.8, RCA Lyra (RD2780), filters (UV, Polarized, Red, Orange), cleaning equipment and extra batteries. It is also large enough to carry a flash and possibly another lens if necessary. The question I have is what type of locking mechanism do people here use? If I have a backpack on should I worry about a theif opening the zipiper compartments and grabbing something? I noitce that on the backpack the zippers are tight around the corners, I think this was intentional by the manufacturer so that they couldn't easily (and not noticably) slipped open. Does someone make a quick unlocking mechanism that wouldn't be obstructive?
Ken

People spend so much time worrying about locks on zips when thieves often remove the contents of bags by using a sharp knife to cut through the side of the bag. The armoured bags with kevlar padding are excellent but highly visible. Far better to use a cheap canvas knapsack and to put chicken wire inside with a soft covering and your cameras etc in pouches fabricated from sleeping mat foam and duct tape. Safe, anonymous and secure.

Remember a thief looks for a nice lock as a sign that there's something worth pinching. Use a split ring and they won't have a clue. I lock the zip on my suitcase with a paperclip. It's secure against accidental opening and is not going to pose problems for airline security etc.