PDA

View Full Version : Flash for the 20D

ktixx
03-02-2005, 08:31 PM
I recently purchased the Canon 20D and I would like to know what other DC owners use for flashes? I would possibly like to start as a wedding photographer, so is something like a Speedlite 580EX absolutely necessary or would a lesser cost model suffice? I don't have a huge budget to spend on a flash, so if I could get away with something around $200 that would be preferable. In addition to a flash on the camera should I consider a slave flash, and if so any recomendations? Any Suggestions/Experiences will be much appreciated.
Ken

Rex914
03-02-2005, 09:06 PM
The 420 EX is a decent flash for $200. I've heard people recommending some 3rd party flashes although I have absolutely no experience with them.

D70FAN
03-03-2005, 05:30 AM
I recently purchased the Canon 20D and I would like to know what other DC owners use for flashes? I would possibly like to start as a wedding photographer, so is something like a Speedlite 580EX absolutely necessary or would a lesser cost model suffice? I don't have a huge budget to spend on a flash, so if I could get away with something around $200 that would be preferable. In addition to a flash on the camera should I consider a slave flash, and if so any recomendations? Any Suggestions/Experiences will be much appreciated.
Ken

You have already spent $1500+ for the 20D. Buying anything less than the 580EX would be a waste of that investment.

I faced this dilema with my D70 and tried using my older Nikon Speedlights, and a Sunpack 383, before buying the SB800. The difference was dramatic.

jamison55
03-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Ken

By all accounts the 580ex on the ETTLII 20D is a vast improvement over the last generation of Canon TTL combos. I haven't had a chance to test my ETTL flash (Sigma 500 DG Super) on my 20D yet - it's on loan to my assistant - but I found the ETTL combo on my DReb to be horribly inconsistent. I went backwards in history and bought a non TTL Sunpak 383. It requires me to keep my camera in "M" mode, but I find that the exposures are much more predictable. Keep in mind that weddings are very difficult on a camera's flash metering system because you are shooting subjects that are almost exclusively white or black (and TTL flash metering is designed to assume that the subject is 18% gray). I chose to take the thinking out of the camera, and leave it to the tried and true auto flash...

Mr. Peabody
03-03-2005, 07:04 AM
I also have a 20D. I ordered myself a Speedlite 580EX and the BG-E2 Battery Grip yesterday.

eagle17
03-03-2005, 07:58 AM
I tried a lesser flash and it didn't work at all so it went right back. I ended up with a 550EX and a 480ex for fills. this combo works great and I have not had too many problems other than having one or two slight blowouts that are easiliy fixed in post proccessing.

ktixx
03-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Do you think it is worth the extra $100 to purchase the 580ex over the 550ex (this would be the only flash I had for now)?
Ken

D70FAN
03-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Do you think it is worth the extra $100 to purchase the 580ex over the 550ex (this would be the only flash I had for now)?
Ken

Sorry, I can't answer that one, as I don't own a Canon. If you think you will need the extra capability (whatever it is) in the future, then it would be worth buying now. If you will never need the extra capability then go for the 550EX.

From my own experience with the D70, opting for the higher end SB800 for $330 vs. the SB600 for $240 was worth it for the extra capability in the future. Even if I don't use it right away I won't have to buy another flash when I do need it.

ktixx
03-03-2005, 07:57 PM
After doing a little research, I think I would actually get the 580ex just for this reason:

"One major new feature for digital shooters is that the flash now knows the sensor size of the EOS 20D (and EOS 1D Mk II with firmware update), and zooms the flash head to give full coverage over only the area seen by the sensor. The 550EX did not do this, and so, for example, "wasted" energy illuminating the 24x36mm frame outside that covered by the 22x15mm sensor in the 220D."

Quote from: http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/580ex/

Ken

D70FAN
03-03-2005, 08:15 PM
After doing a little research, I think I would actually get the 580ex just for this reason:

"One major new feature for digital shooters is that the flash now knows the sensor size of the EOS 20D (and EOS 1D Mk II with firmware update), and zooms the flash head to give full coverage over only the area seen by the sensor. The 550EX did not do this, and so, for example, "wasted" energy illuminating the 24x36mm frame outside that covered by the 22x15mm sensor in the 220D."

Quote from: http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/580ex/

Ken

There is probably more than that for $100 as well. Like I said if you are going to spend the money on a nice camera $100 isn't that much difference.

jamison55
03-04-2005, 03:04 AM
Actually, I think the big advantage of the 580ex is that is ETTL-II. From what I understand, ETTL-II is more accurate because it meters the distance to the subject in addition to the amount of light bouncing off the subject. It still gives a pre flash to calulate exposure and WB, though, so make sure you get in the habit of telling your clients to "wait for the secind flash", or else you may get a few more closed eyes that you'd like...

LoveOfSelene
03-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Im still in the 10D world, haven't got to the 20D yet. So can't tell you bout ettl 2

But just to add. From experience, if you run an 550ex and 580ex side by side, there is a speed difference in charging, 580 is a lot faster. Unless you use the Cp-e3 or e2 w/ the flashes, you won't see a difference. And i may mention the wheel on the 580 is a nice touch.

~loveofselene

armyresoff
06-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Flash that works with the canon 20d....when I shoot weddings I use a flash meter and a flash(s) that will permitt both TTL dedicated functions as well as manual power settings...the sigma flashes are less money and do a good job. With group shots you can use mutilpy flashes and set your camera as indicated by your flash meter. The photos always turnout great.

D70FAN
06-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Flash that works with the canon 20d....when I shoot weddings I use a flash meter and a flash(s) that will permitt both TTL dedicated functions as well as manual power settings...the sigma flashes are less money and do a good job. With group shots you can use mutilpy flashes and set your camera as indicated by your flash meter. The photos always turnout great.

A valid response, but please note the last posting date. ;)

TheObiJuan
06-02-2005, 10:19 PM
ETTL-II is a function of the camera. It works with all of the EX flashes. I have the 420 and am very happy with it, especially for the price. The flash is strong enough for anything I shoot, most of the time I shoot at -1FEC anyways. I bounce 95% of the time anyway. For most shooters, the amatuers, the flash is strong and fast enough. On full batteries it recycles fast enough and gives enough coverage. I repeat, on full batteries. These things sure do eat up batteries. :eek:

I would like to get the 580EX because I can do more wide angle photography with it and get better results with flash and landscape shots. They both would work well together and would make a cheap and effective portrait setup. (with a softbox or umbrella, or both!)