PDA

View Full Version : Is an Image Stabilizer important

martyID
08-15-2004, 06:59 PM
I am planning to purchase the new Kodak DX7590 for my wife. I have read, the camera is excellent. The one item it does not have is an image stabilizer and I am concerned as it is a 10x optical zoom. Any feedback and thoughts on whether this feature is "that important" would be appreated. :)

speaklightly
08-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Image stabilization is VERY important to a long zoom camera. Kep in mind this important formula: To prevent photo blurring on UNSTABILIZED cameras, when at long zooms, for example when at 10X optical zoom, the MINIMUM shutter speed equals 1 over the focal length of the lens expressed in 35MM camera terms.

Therefore, when your example camera is at its maximum optical zoom: 10X, the MINIMUM shutter speed for an UNSTABILIZED camera must be 1 over the focal length, which in the case you cite must be 1/380th of a second, because when that camera is at 10X optical zoom, the effective focal length of the lens is (in 35mm terms) 380mm. Therefore the minimum shuuter speed you can use when at 10X is 1/400th of a second, because that Kodak long zoom does not have a shutter spped of 1/380th of a second. The Kodak long zoom has no shutter speed of 1/380th of a second, so you use the next highest shutter speed which on that camer is 1/400 of a second.

We own the Kodak DX-6490 (a 4mp digital camera) which is now selling at about $340 on the internet. The Kodak DX-6490 at $340 would be a much better buy than the newer KodaK LONG ZOOM WHICH WILL BE SELLING RIGHT AT $500 FOR A LONG TIME. There is not that much difference between 4mp and 5mp as long as you do you cropping in the camera and keep the print size at 8" X 10" or lower. You can use that $160 you saved to buy some needed camera accessories. However, that is just my personal opinion.

Sarah Joyce

speaklightly
08-16-2004, 08:48 AM
The Canon S-1 (even at 3.2mp) and the Panasonic FZ-1 (even at 2.1mp) and the Panasonic FZ-10 (at 4mp) have been very sucessful digital cameras primarily due to their stabilization.

That is why image stabilization is so VERY important.

Sarah Joyce

Atindra
09-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks very much Sarah,
You gave us a great tip for shooting at ultrahigh zoom with unstabilized camera like dx 6490. Can you explain technically what Image-stabilization actually does?
Atindra