PDA

View Full Version : Kodak vs Olympus

tommy
07-05-2004, 08:47 AM
Kodak EasyShare DX6490 vs Olympus C-770 Ultra Zoom.

Good morning. I am struggling with the purchase of a new digitla camera. For the last 3.5 years I have had an Olympus D490Zoom, but it is just not cutting it anymore. I have spent the last few days researching, thanks to dcresource.com, many cameras. I have narrowed it down to a couple listed above, but I am still hesitant and wanted to get some feedback about my choices. Please let me know what you think. I also have some interest in Nikon, but the really important thing is that I really want to stay under $500.00

Thank you.

D70FAN
07-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Have you considered the Panasonic FZ10? Yes it is a bit bigger than your choices, but it is one of the few ultra-zooms with image stabilization, and a very fast lens.

Just a thought.

tommy
07-05-2004, 09:21 AM
That is a good one, I was looking at that one yesterday. I am afraid that one may be out of my range, but I am looking for a store near me. The Panasonic site gave some locations I can run out to. I will definately check it out.
Thank you for your input.

One thing that I may need to mention, I don't know. The camera is basically going to be for pictures of my children, but I want something more than just an everyday camera that my wife will carry around to take quick shots.

Nick
07-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Nikon Coolpix 5700 (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix5700-review/index.html)

Sold for about 700. Nikon is currently offering a $150 dollar mail in rebate, which brings it down to about 550. A very fine deal for an excellent camera. You can download the rebate from either of the two places, PDF file. Rebate:

Nikon CP Rebate ( link one ) (forest-of-october.net/misc/Nikon_CP_Rebate.pdf)
and
Nikon CP Rebate ( link two ) (nick.x-istence.com/Nikon_CP_Rebate.pdf)

I'd take the Coolpix over the DX6490 and Olympus C-770. :)

Pueblo
07-08-2004, 01:54 PM
I have the very same question facing me. I will go for the Kodak. The Nikon unfortunately in Europe is 50% above the dx6490. The Oly is also looking good on features and picture quality, but to tell you the truth the Kodak "looks better" and the learning curve is said to be faster, not to mention the biggest LCD.