View Full Version : Columbia

08-15-2004, 12:27 PM
I was thinking about Columbia, South Carolina. What's the scenery like around there and what's interesting to see/photograph oct/nov/dec?

08-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Rhys you sure have a few 'different' places on your vacation hotspots. I am not certain if Columbia, SC ranks above or below old Soviet subs. I think that the closest intersting sub is the Hunley. Columbia is not the prettiest city in the southeastern US, but there is some good BBQ (pork only of course).

I would probably pick late October/ early November as the best time of your three month window as that would be around fall colour season. I cannot recall any photo opportunities that would drag me there even though it is only a few hours away from Atlanta. There are some excellent day trips by car into the northwestern corner of SC (and the whole nearby NC and GA mountains) that would produce some lovely scenics.

08-17-2004, 07:23 PM
The Capital building downtown is a favorite area for people taking photos there. An interesting building. There is a small stucco church across the street from it too that's an interesting shot. But as someone said, it's not exactly a major photography destination.

Now, drive 1.5 to 2 hours SE of there, to Charleston, South Carolina, and that's a completely different story! Wow - that has to be one of the most beautiful cities in America for photography.

Here is one shot I took a few years ago of one of the rows of homes that faces a bay there:

And here is an aerial shot that someone sent me once of Charleston:

Well worth the extra drive from Columbia. Fall to early winter is the best time of year there as well, as summers are brutally hot and humid if you're not used to that.

08-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Rhys, if you are thinking of driving a bit I would definitely second visiting Charleston.

08-18-2004, 06:06 AM
Rhys, if you are thinking of driving a bit I would definitely second visiting Charleston.

Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I still have my photographless paper driving licence - valid until I'm 70 - but I think the demons in blue out there would prefer to see a photo licence. I doubt therefore that I will be doing any driving. Aside from that, you drive on the wrong side of the road. I'm used to driving on the correct side - that might be problematic.

If there are decent local bus services then I'll certainly travel around a bit - otherwise, it'll be wherever my girlfriend takes me.