PDA

View Full Version : anyone use amphotoworld.com ??

Ronin005
02-28-2005, 01:27 PM
well ive been looking for the best deal for the fz20 and well i have found it for $420 with $120 in free accessories. and it seems like a good deal and all but how good is the site??
heres the deal
http://www.amphotoworld.com/product.asp?id=psdmcfz20

Rhys
02-28-2005, 02:25 PM
It seems to be New York based which is where most of the scam sites seem to be although I found one in Bethel, "CT" - wherever that is.

Resellerratings gives them a very telling rating:

5.52 Pricing of Products and Services
0.51 Likelihood of Future Purchases
1.97 Shipping and Packaging
0.63 Customer Service
0.65 Return or Replacement

That seems to be somewhat poor, in my opinion. I checked their website and found no address that was immediately apparent. Checking their DNS record comes up with the following:

Organization:
A&M Photo World LLC
Greg Sanders
2922 Avenue L
Brooklyn NY 11210
US
Phone: 718-338-2950
Fax..: 718-338-0634
Email: info@amphotoworld.com

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com
Domain Name: AMPHOTOWORLD.COM
Created on..............: Tue Sep 05 2000
Expires on..............: Sat Sep 05 2009
Record last updated on..: Fri Apr 16 2004
Administrative Contact:
A&M Photo World LLC
Greg Sanders
2922 Avenue L
Brooklyn NY 11210
US

Technical Contact:
A&M Photo World LLC
Greg Sanders
2922 Avenue L
Brooklyn NY 11210
US

Zone Contact:
A&M Photo World LLC
Greg Sanders
2922 Avenue L
Brooklyn NY 11210
US

Domain servers in listed order:
NS3.MORUDA.COM 209.152.180.160
NS4.MORUDA.COM 209.152.180.161
Register your domain name at http://www.register.com

Interestingly, a search on their zip code produced the following page of listings: "http://www.hellozipcode.com/11210YellowPages.Cfm" on which AMPhotoWorld does not appear.

Personally, I'd go someplace else.

skagen
03-01-2005, 02:28 PM
How many times do you all have to be told to avoid these NY Internet camera shops - Especially the Brooklyn-based ones.

In NYC you can trust the following without fail:
- B&H Photo Video (www.bhphotovideo.com)
- 17th St photo (www.17photo.com)
- Calumet
- Adorama

- There is a second tier which includes Etronics, Datavis.

- All others, you are just taking your chances with the devil. And if you haven't learned about theBrooklyn shops by know, you deserve to have your money stolen. Internet shoppers should know by know to do their research. A simple look at Reselelr ratings should tell all but the foolish what they need to know.

Rex914
03-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Although it's not a specific camera place, add in J&R Computer World. I only know it because Amazon is partnered directly with them.

Oh, and don't buy from the site you mentioned. It's a scam site. Only 1% of the customers get what they want. Pay more and get it right the first time.

Perplexed
03-02-2005, 09:02 AM
I checked their website and found no address that was immediately apparent. Checking their DNS record comes up with the following:

Rhys, just out of curiosity, where does one check DNS records?

Thanks, David

Rhys
03-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Rhys, just out of curiosity, where does one check DNS records?

Thanks, David

I've asked Jeff to include a brief tutorial in looking up DNS records but he doesn't seem that keen.

Look up DNS records on www.samspade.org.

Digideb
03-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Looks like A&M is another online reseller to avoid. Pay more & save yourself the stress!
I wish all NY online camera resellers wouldn't get lumped together as "bad". Some folks,especially out here on the west coast, might get the wrong impression & miss out on one of the best camera dealers, B&H Photo in NY, which many agree is one of the best. ;)

Rhys
03-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Looks like A&M is another online reseller to avoid. Pay more & save yourself the stress!
I wish all NY online camera resellers wouldn't get lumped together as "bad". Some folks,especially out here on the west coast, might get the wrong impression & miss out on one of the best camera dealers, B&H Photo in NY, which many agree is one of the best. ;)

It seems to me that the quantity of good online photo shops in NY sounds as though they're in the minority. It therefore puzzles me as to why they don't club together to drive the bad ones out of business.

I hear the same thing about ebay etc - the good minority is camoflaged under the ghastly majority. I'd never deal on ebay again.

Digideb
03-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Rhys, Yes, I agree, it's odd to have so many bad camera dealers in N.Y. yet they have a couple of the best resellers. I kinda feel sorry for B&H Photo. They must really have to try harder to distinguish themselves from most of the other NY dealers.
By the way, it looks like we totally agree on rebates. I like your "byline" at the end of your post. ;)

Ronin005
03-02-2005, 07:40 PM
thank you all, you have been very helpfull. i will avoid NY CITY AS AWHOLE, lol jk just thier sites.

bethel, ct isnt far. right next door to danbury

Andy Browne
03-07-2005, 05:13 AM
I have had very good luck with a New Jersey outfil called BUYDIG.COM. However, watchout for a company with a similar name... iBUYDIG. Note the little "i" added before the name. They offer great prices ONLY if you buy their overpriced accessories. If you want just the camera... sorry charlie... not is stock.

Ronin005
03-10-2005, 12:38 PM
well its all said and done, last week i went and got the FZ20 i wanted, bought it as CC.

god i love this cam

Cornick
03-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I called about the Sony DSC-F828 because it was much cheaper than other companies. Found out that they take apart them package and sell it in split parts.

I'm not sure if other companies do this, but make sure you ask if it comes with a battery and charger.

gary_hendricks
03-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Rhys, I do agree about the presence of many scam sites in New York.

maxfieldj
03-17-2005, 06:50 AM
The operate a classic switch and bait. I ordered a Nikon 5400 from thier website. I recieved an email thet they needed to confirm the order over the phone. I tried the number several times and got a recording with no responses to my messages. I tried to cancel the order by email and got an email that they could not send emails to different departments. Finally this morning at 6 AM PST I get the guy on the phone who tries to sell me filters, batteries, etc. I tell him I don't need any of this as I am replacing a damaged Nikon 5000. He tells me that they do not have the camera I ordered because those units do not have batteries and would I order a new one at an aditional $100 with the battery. I tell him no, no. He tells me to be quiet while he is talking and trying to help me. I have to scream at him to get him to cancel the order. BEWARE

Chuck43
03-28-2005, 02:36 PM
I purchased a panasonic lumix fz 20 from them . and yes they want to sellyou everything under the sun and yes they are fast pitch and hard sell. the camera was 419.00 advertised got out of there paying 619.98 the cost was 579.99 which was about retail for the camera and i got a extend life battery and a 5 yr warranty. b&h starts out at 599.00 so i did get a deal and arrived on time (2nd day Air) so although i paid more than advertised i still got a deal. belive me i found all sorts of horror stories about the place and was very nervous till i got the unit and determined all was okay!.

Ronin005
03-28-2005, 07:47 PM
I purchased a panasonic lumix fz 20 from them . and yes they want to sellyou everything under the sun and yes they are fast pitch and hard sell. the camera was 419.00 advertised got out of there paying 619.98 the cost was 579.99 which was about retail for the camera and i got a extend life battery and a 5 yr warranty. b&h starts out at 599.00 so i did get a deal and arrived on time (2nd day Air) so although i paid more than advertised i still got a deal. belive me i found all sorts of horror stories about the place and was very nervous till i got the unit and determined all was okay!.

well good to know it all worked out for ya, but i wouldnt of whated to be one of the guys they screw over.

thebac
03-29-2005, 06:40 AM

Not to bust your bubble, but the FZ20 can be had for around $520 (incl shipping) from a reputable seller. Also, from a shady place like that, I don't care what type of warranty they're offering, it's quite likely to be worthless. I'm really rather confused why you're happily paying significantly more than advertised.

Chuck43
03-29-2005, 12:55 PM
>>Not to bust your bubble, but the FZ20 can be had for around $520 (incl shipping) from a reputable seller. Also, from a shady place like that, I don't care what type of warranty they're offering, it's quite likely to be worthless. I'm really rather confused why you're happily paying significantly more than advertised.<<<<

sorry if you thought i was pleased with what i paid it was more like relieved for the price 529 for the camera plus a 4hr batterrry and 5 year warranty which by the way mackcam is the warrantor and i checked and 2nd day air 619 and so many cents is not bad and about what i would have paid elswhere!. yes i got real nervous after i did google search which i should have done first but in the end i was relieved that i was not taken to the cleaners!. after finding out what others paid!. I will not do buseness with them again but not worth going down that path again.

thebac
03-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just re-read your post, and nowhere in there did you express a sense of happiness, just relief. I think I just got confused because you weren't totally mad about spending almost $200 more than you were anticipating.

If you got a Mack warranty, I guess that's OK, I thought you had bought the extended warranty offered by the store itself. Again, not sure what I was thinking :o

DaveKC
03-30-2005, 06:04 PM
I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix 8800. They claim they have the lowest prices guaranteed. I called first to see if it was the US model and comes with all the standard accessories and they told me it does. Then when I placed the order I was told it was an additional fee for the US model and I had to pay for a charger and battery which comes standard with the camera. They also advertise the price after a rebate from Nikon but that rebate is only for the factory model which they are not selling to you in less you fork over additional money. When I did not want to fork over the additional funds, the gentleman called me a lire and told me my order is canceled and hung the phone up on me. This place is a total scam, Stay away if I was you.

Roy London
04-06-2005, 11:24 PM
I am shopping for a nikon coolpix 8800. AMPHOTOWORLD is now offering the camera for $409.00 plus the $100.00 nikon rebate bringing the price to $309.00.
They admit that the camera does not include battery and charger. The battery and charger can be bought for $66.00 at B&H-so all together the 8800 would cost me $$475.00 plus the rebate, (375.00)which brings the price close to $200.00 less than other dealers even if I can't use the rebate.
Can this deal be too good to be true? What is the catch?
please e-mail if you have info
thanks
RB7Surf@msn.com

Ronin005
04-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I am shopping for a nikon coolpix 8800. AMPHOTOWORLD is now offering the camera for $409.00 plus the $100.00 nikon rebate bringing the price to $309.00.
They admit that the camera does not include battery and charger. The battery and charger can be bought for $66.00 at B&H-so all together the 8800 would cost me $$475.00 plus the rebate, (375.00)which brings the price close to $200.00 less than other dealers even if I can't use the rebate.
Can this deal be too good to be true? What is the catch?
please e-mail if you have info
thanks
RB7Surf@msn.com

who is the rebate from?? if AMPHOTOWORLD says its from Nikon, then i would call up Nikon to confirm the rebate, make sure its legit, make sure thats its still valid, make sure that its good on online purchases and if AMPHOTOWORLD
is a authorized dealer.

ok, i took it upon myself to find out.
and well i called Nikon, the rebate is good, one problem though, they told me that AMPHOTOWORLD is not a AUTHORIZED dealer so the rebate would be invalid.
as soon as i mentioned AMPHOTOWORLD, they guy told me that they are out of Brooklyn and they are not a authorized dealer so its no good and told me that im better off looking else where for the deal.
i called 1-800-645-6687 for the authorized dealer info.

good luck with what ever you do.

jklnorm
04-07-2005, 12:36 PM
These guys like to use bait-and-switch. I fell for it and then was lied to three times over the phone about delivery, order items "thrown in", etc. I would not deal with them again.