PDA

View Full Version : Kodak HELP Im Desprate!

Mzawsome
02-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Hey I really really do need help on setting my camera to take concert pictures. Im so new at this, and Ive even contacted Kodak and they didnt answer my question...so PLEASE if someone could tell me step by step how to set my camera to take amazing concert pictures please let me know.... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Morgan

ktixx
02-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Questions:
1. What are the conditions?
- Inside
- Outside?
- Dark?
- Light?
- Overcast?

2. What effect are you looking for?
- Artistic?
- Regular/ Sharp?

3. What kind of camera do you have?

Overall you will need a high ISO (indoors or overcast), with a long telephoto zoom. Other than that, more info will be needed to properly answer your question.

Ken

Mzawsome
02-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Ok I have a Kodak EasyShare DX7590, I have a picture of what type of lighting this will be in and what type of shot Im looking for. Click that link...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/MorglovsMcbride/IMG_0389.jpg

That picture was taken with a Canon. But Since my camera also has a 10x optical zoon with a 5mp...it should do the trick.....The condition of my camera is good...brand new.

So any advice?

Morgan

TheObiJuan
02-28-2005, 01:56 PM
How far will you be from the intended targets?
If you are at 10x then camera shake will be a problem bc of higher shutter speeds. If you use a monopod, or tripod, then you can lower the shutter and still get sharp pictures.
ISO performance on that camera is pathetic, my dx6490 only allowed ISO800 on the lowest image size possible, and the noise was just too great.

Are you allowed to use flash? How tall is the cieling of where you will be photographing?

speaklightly
02-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Ken-

Yes, I agree with you, using your brand new Kodak DX-7590, you should be able to get some good concert type photos. However, one little problem will be in using your zoom. As your camera zooms out to 10X the available aperture DROPS to F 3.7. That means the lighting level of the scene will be very important in getting good digital photos.

In a nutshell here is what I do. I increase the camera's ISO speed to ISO 400 and take a test shot. I check out the facial tones as I see them on the camera's LCD. If the facial tones are white-ish, as they were in your sample, you will have to reduce the exposure a bit using the exposure compensation feauture in your camera.

If I saw your sample photo on the camera's LCD, I would reduce the exposure by -0.7 EV, then I would re-take the photo and check the LCD again. If the facial tones were OK, I would stay with that exposure, as long as the lighting level remained the same.

Keep in mind that your shutter speed is going to be around 1/25th of a second at your full aperture of F 2.8 and stopping any action on stage will be difficult. Therefore, look for peak action spots, when the performer momentarily stops for just a second or so, then take your photo. If your are zoomed out to 10X, your shutter speed will be down to about 1/10 to 1/15th and handholding the shot will not be possible. Therefore, as previously suggested, consider using a monopod or a tripod to insure that there is no camera movement.

Understand that using this technique pushes your Kodak DX-7590 digital camera to its limits. It will take a bit of practice to get the hang of the procedure and to get good digital photos.

If you would like to see some examples of using this technique, please go to this link:

www.digicamlady.smugmug.com/gallery/369133

Sarah Joyce

Cold Snail
03-01-2005, 01:46 AM
Don't forget to use either centre-weighted or spot metering in case the dark background dominates the shot.

Mzawsome
03-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Ok Thanks. I kind of understood what ya were saying on how to get my camera to take a good picture...But one qustion whats tripod, or monopod?? does it cost money to get?? Im not a very picky gal, Im just a huge fan of Martina MCbride and sinceI won this trip on the radio I really wanna get amazing pictures. Im going to go to a local concert this friday and test my camera out. Its an inside event with the lighting that Martina MCbrides will be...somewhat actually. But Ill test it out...

Morgan

zero
03-01-2005, 04:22 PM
whats tripod, or monopod??

Usually when you go to a professional Studio where they take Portrait pictures, you will probably see that their Camera is placed on three sticks. Thats a tripod. You can probably find that in any camera place. (Even probably at Circuit City or Best Buy if in U.S./Canada). I suppose monopod has only one stick but can't confirm as I don't believe I have seen one yet.

___ __
/|\ |
/ | \ |
/ | \ |
Tripod Monopod?

ktixx
03-01-2005, 04:49 PM
But one qustion whats tripod, or monopod?? does it cost money to get??

Yes a Tripod is 3 Legs and a Monopod is 1 Leg

Tripod (http://www.stalkerradar.com/big_images/tripod-big.jpg)
Monopod (http://www.armsun.com/images/monopod.jpg)

Tripods are the best for stability, as they stop movement in all directions. They will work for very long exposures. Monopods are best for situations where space is restricted, IE: Museums or concerts, but only stop up and down shake, not side to side, or front to back. I have 3 devices, 1 full size Tripod, one small portable tripod, and one monopod, you can find situations to use them all. As far as cost, it is entirely up to you. You can go to B&H ( www.bhphotovideo.com ) and spend $700 for a really nice tripod, or you could just spend $30. It is entirely up to you. For the average user, a $700 tripod is a bit much and really not necessary :p

Ken

speaklightly
03-02-2005, 12:04 PM
When taking existing light concert type digital photos there is one constant. The lighting level and the color of the lighting will be constantly changing. Therefore, there is no cut and dry, works every time, kind of technique or formula that will work in every situation.

This kind of digital photos take a bit of tinkering with the settings as the shooting session evolves, due to the ever changing light level and light colors. Consistentcy in your photos is very difficult to maintain.

I know that I will always use:

ISO 400
spot or center weighted metering
exposure compensation

But beyond that, due the varying conditions, you will just have to attempt to adapt to the existing conditions that are present when you trip the shutter.

Sarah Joyce