PDA

View Full Version : buydig.com Nikon Rebate

kshoari
02-27-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has bought any Nikon product from buydig.com and has actually received the rebate back from Nikon.

I have read a lot about buydig.com on the internet including on this forum. Overall, it seems to have very good ratings and customer feedback. I also know that buydig is a sister company of Beach Camera which is indeed an authorized dealer for Nikon. In fact, if you download a Nikon rebate form buydig.com, it says Beach Trading Co. as the authorized dealer on the form.

I called Buydig myself, and their customer service told me that they actually ship from the same warehouse as Beach Camera and I should feel confident that I will receive the rebate even though the dealer name on the receipt (i.e., buydig.com) and the dealer name on the rebate form (i.e., Beach) would be different, since the two are sister companies.

So I would appreciate it if anyone could share his/her direct experience with us, if s/he has bought a Nikon product from buydig and has received the rebate back or has possibly had any problems....

Thanks,

Rhys
02-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has bought any Nikon product from buydig.com and has actually received the rebate back from Nikon.

I have read a lot about buydig.com on the internet including on this forum. Overall, it seems to have very good ratings and customer feedback. I also know that buydig is a sister company of Beach Camera which is indeed an authorized dealer for Nikon. In fact, if you download a Nikon rebate form buydig.com, it says Beach Trading Co. as the authorized dealer on the form.

I called Buydig myself, and their customer service told me that they actually ship from the same warehouse as Beach Camera and I should feel confident that I will receive the rebate even though the dealer name on the receipt (i.e., buydig.com) and the dealer name on the rebate form (i.e., Beach) would be different, since the two are sister companies.

So I would appreciate it if anyone could share his/her direct experience with us, if s/he has bought a Nikon product from buydig and has received the rebate back or has possibly had any problems....

Thanks,

These rebates puzzle me. Why don't Americans just stand up for their rights and demand honest prices rather than letting these clods run rings around you with bizarre rebate scams?

kshoari
02-28-2005, 01:35 PM
These rebates puzzle me. Why don't Americans just stand up for their rights and demand honest prices rather than letting these clods run rings around you with bizarre rebate scams?

I am not sure if I understand you correctly. These are manufacturer rebates which is a basically a tool for the manufacturer to dynamically adjust its product prices based on the competition and other market conditions.

So I don't know what you mean by "honest" price. Indeed, it would have been nice if every manufacturer would simply calculate its exact cost for each product, add a certain fair profit margin, and set the minimum possible price. But unfortunately, it does not work that way!

Rhys
02-28-2005, 01:55 PM
I am not sure if I understand you correctly. These are manufacturer rebates which is a basically a tool for the manufacturer to dynamically adjust its product prices based on the competition and other market conditions.

So I don't know what you mean by "honest" price. Indeed, it would have been nice if every manufacturer would simply calculate its exact cost for each product, add a certain fair profit margin, and set the minimum possible price. But unfortunately, it does not work that way!

What happens in Europe is... Manufacturer makes item and adds a tidy profit. Manufacturer sells item to wholesaler. Wholesaler adds a tidy profit and sells to a shop. The shop then adds a tidy profit and sells it to the customer. Manufacturer-maintained prices are largely illegal in Europe. Hence, if you want an item cheaper, look around and you'll find a shop with a good buyer and a lower profit margin who's got the goods from a warehouse with a good buyer and a lower profit margin.

If a retailer tried playing games with the customer here with rebates, he'd lose all his customers. Same for manufacturers. Every now and then car manufacturers try that game and everybody buys other brands instead.

Perplexed
02-28-2005, 08:24 PM
If a retailer tried playing games with the customer here with rebates, he'd lose all his customers. Same for manufacturers. Every now and then car manufacturers try that game and everybody buys other brands instead.

Definitely a different mindset in the US. Most US car manufacturers couldn't move their cars if they didn't provide rebates or special financing. I am assuming that Nikon is doing this to move this product off the shelves since it's discontinued.

David

Ron Rosenwald
02-28-2005, 08:35 PM
I just purchased the Olympus Evolt E-300.... received camera in 48 hours even tho requested 3-5 day shipping........ the rebate form was on the order site, I downloaded it and filled it in when camera arrived..... sent it off after making copies. don't know when it will arrive but remind you it is from MFG, not seller. Will advise when the rebate arrives.
Ron

DownByFive
02-28-2005, 09:05 PM
What happens in Europe is... Manufacturer makes item and adds a tidy profit. Manufacturer sells item to wholesaler. Wholesaler adds a tidy profit and sells to a shop. The shop then adds a tidy profit and sells it to the customer. Manufacturer-maintained prices are largely illegal in Europe. Hence, if you want an item cheaper, look around and you'll find a shop with a good buyer and a lower profit margin who's got the goods from a warehouse with a good buyer and a lower profit margin.

Uh, Nikon and Canon offer rebates for Euro customers as well...Besides, US prices are way cheaper than Euro prices even without rebates...

Geoff Chandler
03-01-2005, 01:59 AM
I agree with Rhys ~
What a way to carry on - getting the Customer running around - stressed - trying to get some money back ~ and maybe not getting back some or any of the money because of smallprint or loopholes.
Honest prices for honest people.
Jessops (to name one in England) will match prices as best as they can - don't think they make big announcements about it as there is a chance, I guess, that someone may be selling cheaper than they actually get a product - bu they will do their level best to match a price. I don't mind that - because once you have walked out of the shop with you shiney new toy in your grubby little hand - that's the deal done! - Sure, once you are haggling prices they are going to try and make it up a bit by selling you extra insurance - and of course you will need one of these things to go with it.. etc - but it's all straight forward sales. Non of this buy this from us today, fill this form out send it off tomorrow and you'll get some of the money back (if you fit all the small print criteria!!)
Whoops - I'm sounding like a grumpy old man again....

Geoff

Manstein
03-01-2005, 02:11 AM
I'll be happy to have rebates in the UK at US prices! Nikon and others have been milking UK customers for years and I'm pleased to see the likes of Ebay putting the skids under them.

Rhys
03-01-2005, 05:12 AM
I agree with Rhys ~
What a way to carry on - getting the Customer running around - stressed - trying to get some money back ~ and maybe not getting back some or any of the money because of smallprint or loopholes.
Honest prices for honest people.
Geoff

Exactly. I just cannot believe Americans allow themselves to be played around with. I don't see the point of paying for the product and giving the shop/manufacturer a free loan which has then to be claimed back. What a load of extra paperwork and extra effort just in order to reclaim an overpayment.

I'll be happy to have rebates in the UK at US prices! Nikon and others have been milking UK customers for years and I'm pleased to see the likes of Ebay putting the skids under them.

Prices in Britain are high because taxes are high. The importer has to pay duty and VAT. The wholesaler has to pay VAT. The retailer has to pay VAT. The customer has to pay VAT. Only some of that can be claimed back by the importer, retailer and whilesaler. And VAT is at 17.5% rather than the minescule taxes paid in the USA. Tax is the big demon driving British and European prices up.

Perplexed
03-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Exactly. I just cannot believe Americans allow themselves to be played around with. I don't see the point of paying for the product and giving the shop/manufacturer a free loan which has then to be claimed back. What a load of extra paperwork and extra effort just in order to reclaim an overpayment.

My cynical side says that the manufacturers hope that people don't take the time to send in the forms in which case they get to keep the money. Rebates and coupons are a way of life here. If you take the time to use the rebates and coupons you end up with a discounted price. If not, you pay full price.

Personally, if I decide to get the Coolpix 5400, I'll gladly have Nikon pay me back $200. Everyone in the forum says the 5400 is a better, more functional camera than the A95 that I originally wanted to get. If I can get a better camera for less money, I don't mind messing with the rebate. Just MHO.

David

Digideb
03-01-2005, 09:28 AM
I agree with the senior members on this subject. Rebates are a poor way to get a fair price. Why should we have to "jump through hoops", saving receipts, filling out forms, copying & sending, only to wait weeks for money that should've never left our wallets in the 1st place. :mad:
Then, you have to "keep your fingers crossed" that your "submission" will be approved so you can have "your money" back! I've had bad experiences with rebates & I don't consider them when making a purchasing decision.