PDA

View Full Version : HELP! do i want Minolta A2 or something else?

ZEST
08-14-2004, 04:46 PM
im thinking about getting the Minolta DiMAGE A2. it goes for about $700. + case & memory card = $100-150. total = $850

im willing to go as high as $900 or so.

from what i read its a nice camera, but i was just wondering if there are better cams out there within the same price range.

:confused:
thankx alot

Rhys
08-14-2004, 05:29 PM
im thinking about getting the Minolta DiMAGE A2. it goes for about $700. + case & memory card = $100-150. total = $850

from what i read its a nice camera, but i was just wondering if there are better cams out there within the same price range.

thankx alot

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons1is/page8.asp;

This puts the minolta into the shade.

Listener
08-15-2004, 01:30 PM

thankx alot

I got excited when I first read about the A2. Lots of really neat features. I went and looked at one at a local camera shop. Nice. Then I looked at some sample images from it. Not so good. Then I heard about focus problems. Then I read a lot about the 8 megapixel cameras and, other than the Oly 8080 (the best of the lot re: image quality IMO), the noise levels are just unacceptable.

Now I'm looking at 5 megapixel super zooms.

ZEST
08-15-2004, 07:28 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons1is/page8.asp;

This puts the minolta into the shade.

thankx for the link however that dosnt show the A2 but the Z10.

so it didnt answer my question as how well the A2 performs.

thankx for trying however

ZEST
08-15-2004, 07:30 PM
I got excited when I first read about the A2. Lots of really neat features. I went and looked at one at a local camera shop. Nice. Then I looked at some sample images from it. Not so good. Then I heard about focus problems. Then I read a lot about the 8 megapixel cameras and, other than the Oly 8080 (the best of the lot re: image quality IMO), the noise levels are just unacceptable.

Now I'm looking at 5 megapixel super zooms.

well the camera does not have to be 8MP. just as long as its image quality is good. im sure theres some 4mp cams that take better quality images then 6mp cams.

im just looking for the best cam out there with a price cap at $900.

im into grafix design so im hopeing to use some of the images that i take as parts of my portfolio.

im not sure if ur sudgesting that i get the oly 8080 or not ( if that noise levels comment refers to the a2 or oly) thankx

John_Reed
08-15-2004, 08:35 PM
well the camera does not have to be 8MP. just as long as its image quality is good. im sure theres some 4mp cams that take better quality images then 6mp cams.

im just looking for the best cam out there with a price cap at $900.

im into grafix design so im hopeing to use some of the images that i take as parts of my portfolio.

im not sure if ur sudgesting that i get the oly 8080 or not ( if that noise levels comment refers to the a2 or oly) thankxI think "Listener" was trying to inform you of the local wisdom on the fixed-lens 8MP cameras. They all have limitations due to noise, especially at higher ISOs, due to their very small sensor sizes. In the August issue of Popular Photography magazine, they compare (in an article on anti-shake lenses and cameras) image quality of the A2 with that of the Panasonic FZ10 and the Canon S1. Of the A2, they concluded
"NOISE: Moderately low at ISO 64 and 100, moderate at 200, unacceptable at 400 and 800."
For the FZ10 (a 4MP camera) they concluded
"NOISE: Extremely low at ISO 50, low at ISO 100, moderately low at ISO 200, and moderate at ISO 400"
If you believe this comparison, I think it's a demonstration that "more pixels don't always make for better images."
Depending on what size prints you'll need to make with your images (and 4MP will suffice at print sizes even larger than 8X10), you may find that the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 would serve you quite well, and be well within your budgetary constraints; also, it's being "superceded," or so says the marketing hype, by two new models coming up within the next month, the FZ15, a faster 4MP model without hot shoe for flash, and the FZ20, a faster 5MP model with a hot shoe.

ZEST
08-15-2004, 09:59 PM
yeah i checked the camera out and it seems pretty good. the iso is pretty bad at 400 however. so what i think im going to do is just check out the fz20 and see how that fits my needs.
thankx for the help

wax
08-16-2004, 03:34 AM
well... actually i just bought a dimage a1. it works extremely well for me, and the picture quality it very nice. it doesn't have any of the problems stated in the a2 too.

D70FAN
08-16-2004, 06:16 AM
Or... for a few dollars more, you might want to look at the Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel. Since $900 is your cap I won't suggest the Nikon D70 (~$1200).

Choices and alternatives... :)

speaklightly
08-16-2004, 10:17 AM
I agree with George. Why not look at the Canon DSLR line.

Sarah Joyce

PixChick
08-16-2004, 11:53 AM
I 'd have to say that I would consider the A1 over the A2 (and I am) although it is only from what I have read. It does seem to be a consensus everywhere that the A1 is better, but if you are interested in a dSLR, I don't think you would bother with the A1 (or A2). There is no question the the dSLR's are almost always better at everything that really matters and you can add just about any attachment you like to fit your needs. My main concern with the A1 is that it supposedly doesn't deliver great results in the picture quality department, compared to others in it's class anyway, but that it very subjective. What one person considers good may be just mediocre to another. Hope this helps.

PixChick :)

ZEST
08-16-2004, 04:33 PM
well from what i gathered from everyones openion, it seems that i should deff stay away from the A2.

and from what my friend told me today that i should stay away from the fz20.

i want to be able to take shots that are really up close shots aswell as have a decent zoom on it.
as for the features on the camera i can really care less. as long as the picture quality is good im happy.

i can bring up by budget to 1000 maybe even 1100, its just a matter of how much overtime i should do at a job i totaly hate. i id rather keep the price down as low as possible.

im looking at the canon EOS didital rebel that you guys sudgested.
im not sure how the rest of the EOS line compairs to it.

thankx

PixChick
08-16-2004, 06:08 PM
So why were you told to stay away from the FZ-20? I don't know if that is even out yet and no reviews have come out. I am curious..

PixChick :)

ZEST
08-17-2004, 03:11 PM
cuz he said that panasonic in general aint a camera company they deal with electronics and chances are it will probebly wind up breaking on me.

this is a field i dont know much about. i have a minolta x-700 that im pretty happy with, but the digital camera world im totaly lost in. thats why im asking others what i should get.

John_Reed
08-17-2004, 03:39 PM
cuz he said that panasonic in general aint a camera company they deal with electronics and chances are it will probebly wind up breaking on me.I've heard that said before, by a salesman at a store that didn't carry Panasonics; he said "We only sell cameras from camera companies." I said, "Gee, I see some Sonys back there, how do they fit your sales model?" He just shrugged.
The fact is, the Panasonic cameras are very well made, equipped with Leica-licensed very high quality lenses. In fact their movie cameras have been out for quite awhile now, and I think they have a good reputation. I personally have banged the h*** out of my old FZ1, before it finally died after shooting maybe 20,000 photos; I was its killer, taking it apart to tighten something up a little, and wasn't able to get it back together! :mad: There was another guy who related that he was out hiking with his FZ1, and took a 10 meter tumble down a steep hill, rolling along with his camera taking a big beating. He had to go to the hospital after the fall, but the camera still worked great. So don't let the ruggedness factor be a factor for you.

Listener
08-17-2004, 04:29 PM
I went into a legit camera store in NYC and asked the guy behind the counter if he had any Panasonic cameras I could look at and without skipping a beat he replied "We only sell good cameras." I didn't know what to say, although later I thought of a few replies...I couldn't believe it!

Panasonic has got quite a challenge in the digital camera market and they know it. With currently only a 3% market share they're going to expend a lot of time and money trying to increase market share. I've bought plenty of Panasonic merchandise - audio, video, telephones, etc. and have always been pleased with the purchase. I'm really hoping that the FZ20 is a winner.

John_Reed
08-17-2004, 04:37 PM
I went into a legit camera store in NYC and asked the guy behind the counter if he had any Panasonic cameras I could look at and without skipping a beat he replied "We only sell good cameras." I didn't know what to say, although later I thought of a few replies...I couldn't believe it!

Panasonic has got quite a challenge in the digital camera market and they know it. With currently only a 3% market share they're going to expend a lot of time and money trying to increase market share. I've bought plenty of Panasonic merchandise - audio, video, telephones, etc. and have always been pleased with the purchase. I'm really hoping that the FZ20 is a winner.That guy, even if he believed that Panasonic "doesn't make good cameras," was clearly striking out with you, his potential customer. First of all, for you to be asking the question must mean that you're at least mildly interested in them, so when he flat-out says they're no good, he's dragging your thinking in, by implication. He might as well have said to you "You idiot! What a dumb question!" Even if he turned around and offered you a sweet deal on, say, a Minolta A2, you wouldn't be at all likely to even want to do business with the turd. :D

jamison55
08-18-2004, 11:12 AM
I'm sure the Panasonic is a fine camera (it certainly is popular on this site), but for your budget you can't do better than the Canon Digital Rebel. Here are 3 reasons why:

It is a DSLR so you get a larger sensor. This means that noise is much less of a issue than any digicam (the A2) included, and you can use it handheld in lower light.

You have a wide array of lenses to choose from. When you are looking to take better pictures with this camera, you can buy a better lens. An easy upgrade that is a good investment (since lenses tend to hold their resale value)

You are more likely to hold onto it longer. A 4 year old D30 still takes better pictures than many modern digicams. Going with a DSLR will make you less likely to feel the need to upgrade when, say, the A3 is announced...

Listener
08-19-2004, 07:56 AM
I'm sure the Panasonic is a fine camera (it certainly is popular on this site), but for your budget you can't do better than the Canon Digital Rebel. Here are 3 reasons why:

It is a DSLR so you get a larger sensor. This means that noise is much less of a issue than any digicam (the A2) included, and you can use it handheld in lower light.

You have a wide array of lenses to choose from. When you are looking to take better pictures with this camera, you can buy a better lens. An easy upgrade that is a good investment (since lenses tend to hold their resale value)

You are more likely to hold onto it longer. A 4 year old D30 still takes better pictures than many modern digicams. Going with a DSLR will make you less likely to feel the need to upgrade when, say, the A3 is announced...

Yes and no. I've used the SLR Rebel, which is a fine camera. It's digital sibling, while also a pretty good dSLR, has a very cheap feeling body and in order to get to that price point Canon (understandably) left out many features. Canon, I'm sure will be releasing newer and improved models as time goes by. And of course there's the competition, like the Nikon D70. Also, some of us don't want to be bothered with having to buy additional lenses (we're also on strict budgets!) let alone carry them around. While the image quality is really good, the above points don't justify buying one over an all-in-one digicam that takes slightly less-good images and still leaves me enough cash to buy a few fat storage cards.

Just my 2c.