PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with these "stores"?

Perplexed
02-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Does anyone have any experiences with IBuyDigital, ZipZoomFly or DigitalFoto? They seem to have good ratings from ResellerRatings.com. Does it matter if they are an authorized dealer for the digicam I want to buy? Will that in any way affect the warranty/rebates/etc?

Thanks in advance,

David

ktixx
02-25-2005, 06:51 PM
No specific experience with any of the suppliers you mention. But just beware, make sure you call the store before ordering and don't give them your credit card for any reason until you are sure you want to purchase from them. It will matter if you purchase from an unauthorized dealer, as they are probably selling Grey market cameras. These cameras are listed for unbelievable prices (ie: 850 for a canon 20D) but they do not have any accessores, no charger, no battery no cables and the biggest NO US Warrenty. Pretty much they are just a body and some paperwork. Just beware and make sure you call the store and ask if they sell grey market stuff, if they don't give you a straight answer most likely it is a grey market. A simple rule to follow is, if the price is too good to be true, it usually is...

Ken

Perplexed
02-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Ken,

thanks for the pointers. After reading the return policies of many of the online "stores", I am not sure I want to buy from any of them. Most of them give you 7 days to return stuff you don't want, some of them won't take back defective stuff, they usually charge a restocking fee if the item has been opened, etc. The one exception I found so far is www.walmart.com (Thanks SpeakLightly) where they give you 30 days to try things out. Their prices aren't on the low side, but at least you have a real store to return what you don't want.

David

ktixx
02-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Ken,

thanks for the pointers. After reading the return policies of many of the online "stores", I am not sure I want to buy from any of them. Most of them give you 7 days to return stuff you don't want, some of them won't take back defective stuff, they usually charge a restocking fee if the item has been opened, etc. The one exception I found so far is www.walmart.com (Thanks SpeakLightly) where they give you 30 days to try things out. Their prices aren't on the low side, but at least you have a real store to return what you don't want.

David

There definitely is no comparison to actually holding the camera in your hands and testing it. I recommend going to a local retail camera store (even walmart) and playing with the cameras. Take pictures, explore features etc. etc. In certain cases you will see a significant discount when you buy online especially with accessories (in most cases discount in price and NO TAX). If there is a savings then buy the camera online. I would never suggest purchasing a camera blind (without actually playing with it) also, be careful when buying retail, some places will give you 14 - 30 days to "try it out" then they will hit you with a 15% restocking fee when you return it. Good luck
Ken

DownByFive
02-26-2005, 09:00 PM
In my experience, zipzoomfly.com is one of the best online retailers. I've ordered tons of stuff, and never had any issues. Granted, I've never had to return anything, but I think that's another indicator of how good they are. I've also heard good things about DigitalFotoClub, but never bought from them. But if you have questions about a retailer, just check www.resellerratings.com.

GVales
03-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Zipzoomfly.com (formally googlegear.com) are outstanding. I build computers and have ordered several thousands of dollars of hardware from them! They package the products great, customer service is awesome, and delivery is sooo fast!

I do notice though many camera products are not returnable unless defective, and they are very clear on things like that!