PDA

View Full Version : Canon A75 or A85 telephoto lens?

sierra997
08-14-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm getting set to purchase my first digital camera. After much reading I have narrowed my choices down to the Canon A75 or A80. Is there any truth that the A80 takes a better quality picture?

Also, has anyone tried adding a telephoto lens to either one of these cameras? What are your thoughts? Are most owners of this (or any other digital camera) happy with the 3x optical zoom? I would like to use this camera to take action shots at my kids sporting events.

Cheers.....

D70FAN
08-14-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm getting set to purchase my first digital camera. After much reading I have narrowed my choices down to the Canon A75 or A80. Is there any truth that the A80 takes a better quality picture?

Also, has anyone tried adding a telephoto lens to either one of these cameras? What are your thoughts? Are most owners of this (or any other digital camera) happy with the 3x optical zoom? I would like to use this camera to take action shots at my kids sporting events.

Cheers.....

If one of the primary uses is for kids sports I would suggest you spend a little more and look into the Panasonic FZ3 (when it is released for sale).

With a very fast (f2.8), Image Stabilized, 12X zoom and a relatively compact size this should be a great family action camera (~$399). With the success of the like-sized FZ1 using the same lens, and adding a larger CCD as well as an auto focus assist feature, this camera should be worth waiting for.

At the same time Minolta is bringing out their Z3 which, with 12X zoom and Image Stabilization, is a close runner to the Panasonic FZ3, with a slightly larger CCd, but omitting Auto Focus assist. For that reason (AF assist) I would recommend the FZ3 over the Z3. Even though the Z3 has a slightly larger CCD (and lists for about $50 more).

If you can be patient for another few weeks you can try both of these cameras at your local camera store, which I highly recommend, as no one can judge what you like. And you may find othe camers that you like as well.

A bit of caution: when looking at long zoom cameras (greater than 8X). Try to choose one with Image Stabilization. So far Canon, Panasonic, and now Minolta offer this feature on some pretty nice cameras well under $500. This feature is worth a lot when the zoom is hung out there at 10X or 12X and you start to shake a little. At that high magnification small movements can ruin a shot. With IS helping chance are you will be successful 9 of 10 times.

Most of all have fun.

Rhys
08-14-2004, 07:33 PM
If one of the primary uses is for kids sports I would suggest you spend a little more and look into the Panasonic FZ3 (when it is released for sale).

With a very fast (f2.8), Image Stabilized, 12X zoom and a relatively compact size this should be a great family action camera (~$399). With the success of the like-sized FZ1 using the same lens, and adding a larger CCD as well as an auto focus assist feature, this camera should be worth waiting for.

At the same time Minolta is bringing out their Z3 which, with 12X zoom and Image Stabilization, is a close runner to the Panasonic FZ3, with a slightly larger CCd, but omitting Auto Focus assist. For that reason (AF assist) I would recommend the FZ3 over the Z3. Even though the Z3 has a slightly larger CCD (and lists for about $50 more).

If you can be patient for another few weeks you can try both of these cameras at your local camera store, which I highly recommend, as no one can judge what you like. And you may find othe camers that you like as well.

A bit of caution: when looking at long zoom cameras (greater than 8X). Try to choose one with Image Stabilization. So far Canon, Panasonic, and now Minolta offer this feature on some pretty nice cameras well under $500. This feature is worth a lot when the zoom is hung out there at 10X or 12X and you start to shake a little. At that high magnification small movements can ruin a shot. With IS helping chance are you will be successful 9 of 10 times.

Most of all have fun.

I use the S1. It's a nice camera but I think the Panasonic FZ10 is a little better. Where the Canon scores is that it uses AA batteries and Compact Flash. Otherwise I'd have considered the Panasonic, which is bigger and heavier (and has a zoom that's a little longer).

sierra997
08-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the responses. I looked at cameras recommended, but as this will be our first digital camera I wanted to stay with a smaller and cheaper one. Then in the future maybe get into a DSLR.

The reason I liked Canon's A75/A85 was the quality and size of the camera with the option of adding a telephoto lense. Now I know it won't have the image stabilizer and thats part of the reason I was looking for somone who as actually tried adding a lense to this camera, how hard was it to prevent the pictures from being blurry?

speaklightly
08-15-2004, 11:55 AM
The Canon brand adaptor and the 2.4X Teleconvertor lens can be delivered on the west coast for about $130. That would give you an effective focal length (in 35mm terms) of 250mm or about 7X optical, which is not bad.

Sarah Joyce

zoodany
08-15-2004, 01:46 PM
I have the Canon A75.. Look at www.zoodany.it to see some of my pics and ho have an idea of what you can do with it..

Bye..

zoodany..
www.zoodany.it