PDA

View Full Version : Whine, Whine, Whine

erichlund
08-14-2004, 01:34 PM
I can't really find a lot to complain about with my new D70, though two things do stand out. I've noticed that if I try to pick up the camera from the non-grip side, it's very precarious. The flat parts are too small and the rest is sloped to "look pretty". My Canon A-1 may look boxy by comparison, but I can grab it anywhere and get a decent, secure grip. Being the owner of twice dropped Coolpix 990, I'm very leery of issues like this. I'm going to establish the habit now of picking it up by the grip. I believe this will someday prevent "colorful language". :eek:

The other thing that bothers me is the lack of backward compatibility in flash modes. I have an SB-28 that's now no more useful than my cheapo Sunpak auto 266D. I certainly hope the difference is more than just software. It would be dissapointing to learn they were just too lazy to program the SB-28's TTL modes in. :(

Cheers,
Eric

D70FAN
08-14-2004, 06:06 PM
I can't really find a lot to complain about with my new D70, though two things do stand out. I've noticed that if I try to pick up the camera from the non-grip side, it's very precarious. The flat parts are too small and the rest is sloped to "look pretty". My Canon A-1 may look boxy by comparison, but I can grab it anywhere and get a decent, secure grip. Being the owner of twice dropped Coolpix 990, I'm very leery of issues like this. I'm going to establish the habit now of picking it up by the grip. I believe this will someday prevent "colorful language". :eek:

The other thing that bothers me is the lack of backward compatibility in flash modes. I have an SB-28 that's now no more useful than my cheapo Sunpak auto 266D. I certainly hope the difference is more than just software. It would be dissapointing to learn they were just too lazy to program the SB-28's TTL modes in. :(

Cheers,
Eric

Attach the neckstrap and use it as the grab point. Also when you are using the camera wrap the neckstrap on your arm, or use it as a neckstrap, so if dropped colorful language, and/or cardiac arrest can be avoided.

The SB 28 and every other speedlight becomes pretty much a manual flash with the D70, and you are not the first to complain. I would like to think that Nikon was trying to improve the breed with iTTL, but...

The SB800 is the only flash 100% iTTL compatible with the D70. It's not just a software change. But I think you will find the on-board flash more than usable up to about 21 feet. I seem to have survived thus far without the SB800 (although it is on my list). With usable ISO out to about 800+ the flash becomes less of an issue except for fill. Which at 1/500 is unbelievable.

If you want to do portraits, and use that fill-flash capability, definately buy a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 or 1.8. Used they run about $150 and $60 respectively.

Man it's so nice to be back to an SLR.

Keep us posted on your progress.