PDA

View Full Version : Lost sheep found new camera

erichlund
08-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Hi,

Haven't posted here in ages. Came looking for a massive archive and found most of the data gone. Sigh. Anyway, my Nikon Coolpix 990 took a tumble, so I decided to upgrade to a D70. Very cool camera. I've had it about a week, but so far, I'm very pleased. Got the kit lens. Haven't even picked out a bag for it yet. The 990 resided in a Canon bag. :o That seems a bit sacrilegious with the D70. :D

Cheers,
Eric

D70FAN
08-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Hi,

Haven't posted here in ages. Came looking for a massive archive and found most of the data gone. Sigh. Anyway, my Nikon Coolpix 990 took a tumble, so I decided to upgrade to a D70. Very cool camera. I've had it about a week, but so far, I'm very pleased. Got the kit lens. Haven't even picked out a bag for it yet. The 990 resided in a Canon bag. :o That seems a bit sacrilegious with the D70. :D

Cheers,
Eric

Welcome back Eric. Sorry to hear the 990 bit the dust. I still use mine for macro, but those are few and far between. dSLR's are excellent for everthing but Macro. You can get "macro" lenses, but still not as easy as the 990.

I am using the Lowepro Top Load Zoom (TLZ) mini. The D70 and kit lens fit perfectly, and the small front compartment holds the lens hood, a spare battery and 3 CF cards.

http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/toploads/top_mini.htm

Speaking of which if you are near a Frys Electronics they have Kingston 512MB CF cards for $34.99 after rebate. Great for everyday use, and when you start shooting RAW+JPEG you will use it up pretty fast (about 6MB per shot).

Also, I highly recommend buying at least 1 Ultra II high speed card. The continuos shot mode, with the D70 and this card, is awesome.

If you have any questions let us know. I think there are 3 or 4 people with D70's on the board.

erichlund
08-14-2004, 01:16 PM
I am using the Lowepro Top Load Zoom (TLZ) mini. The D70 and kit lens fit perfectly, and the small front compartment holds the lens hood, a spare battery and 3 CF cards.

Speaking of which if you are near a Frys Electronics they have Kingston 512MB CF cards for $34.99 after rebate. Great for everyday use, and when you start shooting RAW+JPEG you will use it up pretty fast (about 6MB per shot).

Also, I highly recommend buying at least 1 Ultra II high speed card. The continuos shot mode, with the D70 and this card, is awesome.

If you have any questions let us know. I think there are 3 or 4 people with D70's on the board.

Thanks George. That does look like an interesting bag for daily use. I think for basic storage, my Canon A-1 is going to move to the Canon bag and the D70 gets the Lowe Pro Magnum. At least for now, though I don't really have much use for the loops for film canisters.

I got a Lexar 1Gig 80 with the camera, and I SanDisk 256 and 192 cards as backups. My wife has the other 256 for her camera. I don't take so many photos that I should run into problems.

Cheers,
Eric

D70FAN
08-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks George. That does look like an interesting bag for daily use. I think for basic storage, my Canon A-1 is going to move to the Canon bag and the D70 gets the Lowe Pro Magnum. At least for now, though I don't really have much use for the loops for film canisters.

I got a Lexar 1Gig 80 with the camera, and I SanDisk 256 and 192 cards as backups. My wife has the other 256 for her camera. I don't take so many photos that I should run into problems.

Cheers,
Eric

Nope, that 1 gig 80X should do the trick. The Magnum is a nice bag but not as portable as the TLZ.

Keep us posted on what you find with the D70.