PDA

View Full Version : Storing (permanently) your pictures

JohnBrowning
08-13-2004, 11:39 PM
On what type of medium do you all store, for the long term, your pictures? If you use CDs, are there better manufacturers that you should use for long term storage of your files?

Rhys
08-15-2004, 02:33 PM
On what type of medium do you all store, for the long term, your pictures? If you use CDs, are there better manufacturers that you should use for long term storage of your files?

I used to backup all my photos to CD. I now back them up to DVD. My main photo store is still a RAID mirrored 40gb disk pair on my server. I would recommend DVD as longer-term storage although I must emphasise that backups and copies must be made regularly just in case Murphy turns up.

djsanderson
07-30-2005, 06:44 PM
My recommendation would be that you have an offsite backup somewhere, like uploading your photos to a web site. Only make certain that the web site you backup to has solid backup procedure in place so that the backup tapes are in a vault safe from harm. I would plug my web site which allows you to do all that and more, but it's against the forum rules, so I won't.

eastbluffs
07-31-2005, 12:03 AM
I have a RAID 5 network attached Disk station so I can access files from any PC. All my old stuff is on CDs, but the newer camera cards are too big so I'll have to move to DVDs soon. I plan to keep everything on DVD because hard disks will fail eventually, even RAID 5.

fnoel
08-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Just a regular cd-r is what I use. Cheap but dvd is starting to come down in price. Haven't found any that is better then the next. Only thing is I would not back up on cd-rw because it can accidently get written over. Also would recomend making 2 back up copies on cd-r. Can never be too safe.

qdebruin
11-12-2006, 01:28 AM

Hi,

The best thing to do is store your photos off site. There is only one site on the net at the moment who offer an iron clad preserve forever (lifetime) guarantee on all content stored with them. Photomax offers a range of services including storage - top site owned by a fortune 500 co. They offer a free storage account too - check it out first though - go to www.qvteam.myphotomax.com. Hope this is helpful
Cheers
Quinton

Paul79UF
11-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Besides the usual cd-r and dvd-r backups every month or so.....I also have a handful of external hard drives and a few old bare hard drives that I connect to my laptop/desktop with a usb 2.0 adapter.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/12-156-102-06.jpg

Steve Cifra
11-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Paul, I have a bunch of old drives sitting around. I was going to get an external case then swap them in and out for storage. Does the item you use do the same thing without having to open/close a case? Meaning, you just plug that into the drive itself, and wala?

FLiPMaRC
11-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Paul, I have a bunch of old drives sitting around. I was going to get an external case then swap them in and out for storage. Does the item you use do the same thing without having to open/close a case? Meaning, you just plug that into the drive itself, and wala?
Yes. It's basically the same as the external HD case without the case :D You just plug it in to the bare HD.