PDA

View Full Version : D50 - New Nikon DSLR?

kshoari
02-23-2005, 06:59 PM
I am trying to buy a new dSLR. I have narrowed down to Canon 20D or Nikon D70, and I was leaning towards Nikon D70 for a few reasons including its lower price, better kit lense, higher flash sync speed, and higher max shutter speed. But then with the $200 Nikon rebate on D70 kit expiring end of March, and the rumors on the new Nikon D200 floating around, I was worried that a new Nikon dSLR is in order, be it a D100 or a D70 replacement.

I just did a quick trademark search and it turns out that Nikon has just recently (on Feb. 8, 2005 to be specific) has filed for a trademark application on "D50" (go to US trademark search website and search for trademarks with Nikon as the owner). So there is no such thing as D200, D80, or D90 as some rumors have suggested. Instead, there is a D50 coming, and I wonder if it is going to have fewer or more features than D70.

On one hand, I would expect Nikon to give an 8MP,1/500 sync camera with better anialiasing filter (to get rid of apparant D70 moire issue), better AF, etc., and kill Canon 20D, but then I'm afraid maybe Nikon guys think D70 is already competing with 20D and they should instead release a new lower-end and hence cheaper camera to directly compete with Rebel and Rebel XT, and that is why they call it D50 instead of D80 or D90 or...

Any comments on this? Any guesses on the spec for the new Nikon DSLR? Help me out here... should I go ahead and get my D70 kit before the rebate expires, or should I wait for D50?!!!

-Thanx

Cold Snail
02-23-2005, 09:39 PM
I bought my D70 just over a week ago and couldn't care less about a new replacement.
I spend countless hours reading up on the specs and comparing shots with other cameras and when the cash was available, I just went for it.

I took this yesterday with it and am pleased with the results.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/coldsnail/DSC_0883Custom.jpg

(I wouldn't have got this with my old digicam)
If Nikon release a new camera, it doesn't mean the D70 has suddenly become a bad camera, it just means it's a bit older.

Jeff Keller
02-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Any comments on this? Any guesses on the spec for the new Nikon DSLR? Help me out here... should I go ahead and get my D70 kit before the rebate expires, or should I wait for D50?!!!

-Thanx

I've seen the future and the D50 isn't it ;)

Anybody expecting a low-end 8MP Nikon D-SLR in the next few months will be sorely disappointed.

Rex914
02-24-2005, 12:27 AM
I have no dealings with Nikon, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if a "D200" were released. It's about time that something like that came out. Think of it as Nikon's real answer to the 20D. (and Canon will be more than ready with a 30D to counter that...)

Samuel Lo
02-24-2005, 02:22 AM
I am trying to buy a new dSLR. I have narrowed down to Canon 20D or Nikon D70, and I was leaning towards Nikon D70 for a few reasons including its lower price, better kit lense, higher flash sync speed, and higher max shutter speed. But then with the $200 Nikon rebate on D70 kit expiring end of March, and the rumors on the new Nikon D200 floating around, I was worried that a new Nikon dSLR is in order, be it a D100 or a D70 replacement.

I just did a quick trademark search and it turns out that Nikon has just recently (on Feb. 8, 2005 to be specific) has filed for a trademark application on "D50" (go to US trademark search website and search for trademarks with Nikon as the owner). So there is no such thing as D200, D80, or D90 as some rumors have suggested. Instead, there is a D50 coming, and I wonder if it is going to have fewer or more features than D70.

On one hand, I would expect Nikon to give an 8MP,1/500 sync camera with better anialiasing filter (to get rid of apparant D70 moire issue), better AF, etc., and kill Canon 20D, but then I'm afraid maybe Nikon guys think D70 is already competing with 20D and they should instead release a new lower-end and hence cheaper camera to directly compete with Rebel and Rebel XT, and that is why they call it D50 instead of D80 or D90 or...

-Thanx

In this technology world, there is always new tech and new model coming in and out. If you wait for D50/D200/D80, there will always been D40/D250/D85 waiting, so just sit back and think: are you going to get the latest technology or taking good picture? If taking photo is your answer, just paid and enjoy your shooting, don't worry about the late comer.

asdasd12345
02-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Well if Jeff says it isnt in the works, then it isnt. He obviously has the connections. is there anything interesting going on in the sub-1000 dslr market in the near future, jeff? any hints at all?

speaklightly
02-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Cold Snail-

Congratulations! You have gotten a great digital camera. I am sure you will enjoy it greatly. I have oftentimes admired your work and now you will be able to do even more pictorially. Enjoy!

Speaklightly

Rex914
02-24-2005, 07:27 PM
I've seen the future and the D50 isn't it ;)

Anybody expecting a low-end 8MP Nikon D-SLR in the next few months will be sorely disappointed.

There's a very good interview with a Nikon representative on DPReview (done at PMA), and he says that they are making an entry level DSLR that is directly aimed at first time DSLR users, possibly something to compete directly with the XT.

Nikon will introduce an entry level DSLR (i.e. D50) for first time DSLR buyer. It won't be just a cheap camera. It will satisfy those customers' needs.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=12370552

speaklightly
02-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Somehow I would desire to get beyond rumor, conjecture, and maybe, perhaps with Nikon. Am I the only one that feels that way?

Speaklightly

Rex914
02-24-2005, 09:07 PM
I personally don't care about what Nikon comes up with, except for the fact that anything good that comes of it will force Canon to up the ante to an ever higher level. The result? Better and cheaper products for the consumers. The DSLR wars started in 2003 with the Digital Rebel. Nikon fired back with the D70. Canon responded with the XT. The bar is being raised every iteration. It will only be a matter of time (i.e. several years) before we see a consumer level (< $2000) full frame DSLR.

speaklightly
02-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Rex-

I am all in favor of a value priced dSLR camera. However, I think that we have to keep the little guys alive, like Pentax and Minolta so they will force the big guys, like Canon to raise the bar. Unfortunately, the Canon 350XT did not move far enough ahead, when yoiu look at its competition such as the Pentax 1stDS within the dSLR field.

Where do we go from here? Do you care to conjecture?

Speaklightly