PDA

View Full Version : Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom

shutterbabe07
02-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Can anybody please give me any info or reviews on this camera??

nellybly
02-23-2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/First-Impressions-Olympus-C-5500.htm
enjoy,
NB

Digideb
02-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Can anybody please give me any info or reviews on this camera??
Have you looked at the reviews & links offered on this site? I found the User Comments to be helpful also. ;)

shutterbabe07
02-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Thank's so much~!

gregger
03-07-2005, 12:26 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-6501_7-31264900.html?messageSiteID=7&messageID=1012950&tag=1012950&cval=1012950&ctype=msgid

oxben
03-08-2005, 08:08 AM
The review is rather short :(

One of my concern about this camera is that the specs announced on Olympus america's website (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&p=16&bc=2&product=1151&fl=4) don't match the one announced on Olympus europa's site (http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/29_C-55_ZOOM_Specifications.htm) site.
For example, Olympus Europa states that the camera has an autofocus illuminator and iso range from 80 to 400, and shutter speeds are also different.

I hope a review will give us the real facts about this camera soon.

Graben
03-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Ok, I ordered the c5500 yesterday, I should have it in 3 to 8 days. Olympus was offering a really nice deal for employees of resellers. I ended up paying 260 before taxes and shipping, so I just had to do it. Anyway, I will let everyone know what the real specs are next week.

Graben
03-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Okay, I have it in my hands now. The UK specs are right lowest iso is 80, fastest shutter speed is 1/2000! Sorry its my first camera so I don't really know all that much, if you have specific questions I'd be more than happy to find it out.

Apo
03-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I have (more than) a few questions, it'd be great if you can shed some light on these :D

1. Build quality? What's the camera frame made of?

2. The dimensions indicate that the camera fairly big in its class. Does it feel big in use and how do you transport it?

3. Weight 245g + 4 AA batteries. Is it too heavy for a compact?

4. Battery usage, how many shots do you get for 4 AAs?

5. The digitalcamerainfo.com review mentioned about "fragile flash", does the flash in your camera feel fragile?

6. Remote Control. Can you try this software and see if it works with the camera? http://home.comcast.net/~smenche/Cam2Com/ Based on the manual it adds a lot of nice features to the camera, like time lapse recording.

7. General feelings about the camera?

Graben
03-16-2005, 08:20 AM
1. Build quality while plastic, feels very solid and nothing is flimsy.

2. While compared to other camera's yes its definately not a compact. For me I really like how it feels in my hands. On that note I don't like compact models so take that as you will. I am a guy, and I have pretty long fingers, this camera may be too big for those with small hands, but should be fine for most.

3. I wouldn't really call it heavy, but if it weighed any more it would be too heavy for a compact. With batteries it is a good weight, but again if you don't like heavy it may be too much.

4. I have brand new batteries so they are not charged all the way that, being said, the batteries it came with non rechargable lasted around 40 minutes, I can't be sure about that as I was more focused on the camera then the time.

5. Nothing feels fragile about this, but if you dropped it with the flash open it would probably break off. But unless you drop it the flash is quite stable. Again the build quality of this is excellent.

6. I don't use Windows so unfortunately I can't. I'm a linux user.

7. I really enjoy this camera overall. Although this is my first digital camera, I do work at circuit city and actually know quite about build quality, size etc. I'm just a little weak in all the use department.

8. This camera is basically a c7000 with less pixels, no 640 movie mode, and no raw capability.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=48356&forum_id=22&jump_to=272132#p272132
these are some comments I also made

Apo
03-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the answers :)

I'm still having big problems on deciding if I should buy a C-5500 now or use a different kind of strategy: first a cheap p&s and then wait for a camera with image stabilization, bigger zoom, manual controls and price which is on my price range ;)

C-55 itself isn't that badly priced, but 1Gb XD cards seem to be a bit more pricey than 1Gb with other standards (actually 70% more expensive). That 70% might be what pushes c-55 out of my current price range :(

Graben
03-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Okay I'm up to 140 pictures on my 2500 energizers and still going strong, first use of the batteries so they should last longer. For the 140 I have taken so far that is with lcd on zoom almost every shot maybe 10% with flash, and uploaded around 500MB to the computer as well.

http://www.msu.edu/user/spanomar/c5500.html

scozzofoto
03-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi Graben,

Thanks for posting your photos. I'm considering purchasing the c5500, but have wanted to read a review and see sample photos. Who knows when the review site proprietors will get around to it--with all the new stuff they have backlogged; don't htink the 5500 will be particularly high in the peking order
. Therefore, your sample photos are the best we have to go on. If you don't mind, please post more pics at your convenience, and include some sunny contrasty backdrops. I saw some sample pics which came out today for the C7070 and the purple fringing was enough to put me right off it. Thanks for your efforts, man. :cool: Scozzo

oxben
03-23-2005, 07:25 AM
There's a review of the c-5500 up at Steve's Digicam!

cdde
04-04-2005, 01:23 PM
i've had this camera for about 2 weeks now....i'm liking it alot....

the only major complaints i have so far.....very noticable barrel roll....and it seems it won't do anything about 72dpi.....if i knew how to change it...that would be great....but i think i would of found it by now....so im thinking thats were it ends and begins as far as dpi control is concerned....

overall....i really do like the camera though....its a point and shoot with lots of manual controls....can't expect professional results.....but you can still have alot of fun with it.

here's a macro shot i took the other day.....(it does very good macro shots)

http://is.rely.net/1-537-16325-l-PFTFv7syuUNf2pETuyFKw.jpg

thanx,
Craig Hansen

bluelab
04-06-2005, 06:36 AM
What do you mean by «barrel roll»? :confused:

AmandaLussier
04-06-2005, 07:38 AM
I think this is the camera for me.

How are action shots?

Could someone take more night shots?

And have you found the Image Stabilization to be helpful?

Thanks

nellybly
04-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi Amanda,
The image stabilization is for the Movie Mode only. It will not affect still photography.
HTH,
NB

cdde
04-06-2005, 04:30 PM
What do you mean by «barrel roll»? :confused:

the outside edges look bubbled....

uhh...just read any review on any camera on this website....the reviewer will talk about barrel roll.....he talks about it when he does the red dot test.

and

thanx amanda.

/Craig Hansen

jimmyfloyd
04-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi I would like to know if the camera takes excellent night shots. What if I want to take city scapes with all the lights on and I leave a long exposure. Can I get a decent shot with outlines of buildings etc? I want a rating out of 10 if anyone can give. Please

:confused:

C-Digital
04-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Purchased Olympus C5500 mid March 2005. Also have Olympus C4000, C2100 and Sony V1 for comparison images. Wildlife, flowers (macro), historic areas and family photo interests influence camera selection. Initial opinions based on computer monitor image viewing, i.e., very subjective, follow.

First photos taken were in very low light to dark conditions to test auto focus and flash. Red and black model train engine with gold trim and lettering on green side panel served as detail and color test subject. Tripod was used for train photos to provide a common perspective. Composites of these photos onto one image allowed more detailed reviews.

C5500 results made it the winner in this limited test. Oly C5500 has a capable focus assist light and its 5X zoom helped frame train tightly with no distracting flash glare. Test suggests photos inside dimly lit historic homes and museums should also be successful.

In inside room shots the C4000 and V1 provided more area coverage due to 32mm and 34mm minimum focal lengths contrasted with C5500's 38mm angle of coverage. Same would be true outdoors.

Outdoor images are generally good. Contrast between highlight and shadow areas in outdoor sunny day images is high at default camera settings. Contrast adjustment option is available in menu but not tested.

Auto Exposure lock button is a plus when a bright background is present (C2100 AE lock has proven its value). While outdoors point camera at green grass in full sun and press AE button. Recompose subjects against bright background and take image. A Kodak manual said it is like using a Kodak gray card to achieve correct exposure. Works very well to avoid silhouettes. Particularly effective when subject is too far away for fill flash or multiple metering takes too long.

C5500 control buttons are well placed to allow quick adjustments. Macro button that cycles from off to close-up to super macro and back to off is more convenient and faster than virtual wheel or menus.

Focus may hunt and have difficulty with low contrast close-ups and macros. All yellow or white daffodils are examples. Spot focus, or a twig held at focus point to achieve focus lock before its removal, helps.

Olympus C4000 with its full range of user controls received good reviews. Olympus C5500 offers more user controls, sharper images with greater detail, faster startup from power on, quick shutter response, and fast flash recycle. However, C4000 has connector for external flash not carried over to C5500.

Standard AA size NiMH batteries for power are icing on the cake. First set of 1800 mah cells lasted through a week of photo testing and playing with menu options. LCD panel was on while camera was on. When photos are being taken it is not uncommon to have camera on for over an hour at a time. Fill flash was used often to soften shadows or reveal details. Overall, very pleased with battery life.

C5500 Pros: Five mega pixels and 5X zoom. Quick power up. Quick response to shutter press. AE exposure lock is independent of focus lock. LCD screen is generally useable in sun. Manual and auto modes work well. Time lapse feature. Macro and super macro feature well implemented. AA battery power. Good detail and color. Focus assist light. Convenient push button controls. Internal lens cover.

C5500 cons: No external flash connector. No lens attachment provisions ( filter tube also prevents dirt from entering around lens barrel while UV filter protects optics). Focus can hunt with monotone subjects.

jimmyfloyd
04-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Loads of info, thanks. It was hard to find reviews as it is so new. Ony three online retailers have it in UK. I have ordered now and it will arrive soon! Will test this weekend or next and post a review.

I looked and looked for a similar camera. Am old SLR fan who likes zoom but hates bulk. (Nearly bought c770 ultra zoom but only 4 megapixels). May upgrade in time ito more, if enjoy this one. Will see. Forum is good, this is my first ever visit to one. Thanks all for sharing