PDA

View Full Version : nikon d70 slr vs nikoncoolpix 8800 non-slr

eduardokc
02-23-2005, 08:51 AM
:confused: please if somebody could help me with this question.

i'm looking for a nikon around 1000 to 1300 dollars.

d70 is an slr w/ 6.1 mp
the 8800 coolpix is non slr but with 8.0 mp

should i go for the slr eventhough the mp is lower?

i already have a 5.0 mp sony cyber shot for quick pictures day to day things, but this time i want to take up digital photography more serious.

what about the canon eos-20d for $ 1,500 . in photography is this brand as good as the nikons ?
:confused:

speaklightly
02-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Eduardokc-

Think of it this way. Both digital cameras are great digital cameras. However, your aspiration according to your post is to be more serious with photography. That being the case, you will have much more flexibility with interchangeable lens and room to improve your skills with the Nikon D-70 instead of the Nikon 8800.

Is the difference between 6mp and 8mp important? Not unless you want to make 24" X 30" prints.

Speaklightly

Rex914
02-25-2005, 10:36 AM
The 6MP DSLR's provide far superior image quality to the 8MP fixed lens cameras. And yes, Canon is a good company; in fact it's the market leader right now.

Given your budget, go either with the D70 or the 350D/Digital Rebel XT.

gary_hendricks
02-25-2005, 04:59 PM

d70 is an slr w/ 6.1 mp

i already have a 5.0 mp sony cyber shot for quick pictures day to day things, but this time i want to take up digital photography more serious.

what about the canon eos-20d for $ 1,500 . in photography is this brand as good as the nikons ?

The no. of megapixels is not everything. I reckon if you're more serious into digital photography, choose the D70. You can always upgrade later.

kornhauser
02-26-2005, 04:16 AM
I also had to choose between those same two cameras. I really loved the functions of the D70, which I found at Best Buy for $1100.00 with one lens. But when I started pricing other lenses and flashes, what I wanted ran around $2500.00. That scared me.

I finally chose the Nikon 8800. Haven't regretted that decision. It's a point and shoot only in the fact that the lens is attached. All the functions of a regular SLR are still there. I can control f-stops, shutter speed, etc. The afixed lens zooms from 35mm to 350mm. It's light weight, it's easy to use, and it more simple and fun.

However, the choice is going to be based on your needs and cost. For my job, I couldn't be happier with mine.

palmbook
03-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Well, I'm using both. 8800 is a great performer. The ONLY weakpoint is its speed and noise. The image quality is great. VR function is nice. Also you can shoot macro flexibly, and with immense DOF of 8800, macro at F2.8 is credible.

With D70, you get a lense-interchangeable camera. This is good when you need some specific types of lenses. Also it's a lot faster in low-light situation. 3FPS continuous shooting is impressive. RAW shooting is able. ISO1600 gives less noise than 8800's noise at ISO200. That is why I buy it too.

D70's weakpoints are poor auto-WB - can't compare to excellent performance autoWB and Matrix metering in 8800 at all. Lenses are sooooooo pricey, especially if you want VR. (Personally I do not prefer F2.8 lenses.) The camera is bulky and all equipments together can be used as an anchor.

I still keep 8800, because it's worth 1000$ of macro lenses. Its VR is great when you need to do unhurry slow-shutter-speed photography. Movie mode is nice, as you can record a video clip with VR! Panorama assist mode is powerful too. Its remote controller can be used with D70. The camera is light, so you can carry it around. Also in daylight, 8800 sometimes kills DSLR with cheap lenses in term of AF speed.

In conclusion, both are great. They have different weaknesses and strong points. I would be very regretful if I have to sell one of them. I won't judge who is the best. However, in my opinion, they are complements to each other :)

D70FAN
03-04-2005, 09:09 PM

d70 is an slr w/ 6.1 mp

Get the D70. The 8800 is a nice camera, but not even close to a dSLR. The 20D is a nice camera, but it is unlikely that you could tell the difference between 2 side-by-side 11x14 prints made with the 20D and the D70.

Pick up a Sigma 18-125 DC and a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (about $420 for both) and you will have the basic kit and will be ready to learn. Later on when you want more "reach" try the Sigma 70-300mm APO. These are all good low cost lenses.

Have fun!

narcolepticmonkey
04-02-2005, 05:02 PM
So i am also looking into buying one of these two cameras. I am a 16 year old photography student and i havnt been intrested in digital cameras till recently and cost issues of devoloping film. I currently have a nikon n65 with two lenses, a quantary 28-90 3.5-5.6 and a tamron 75-300 4-5.6. The only reason why the decision is hard because im under the impression that the comparision of the lenses i have with the d70 and with the lens on the 8800 that the lens of the 8800 is far more superior. Can somone help me out with this decision. if i were to buy the d70 i would buy the body by itself. also when is the right time to buy it ive been told now is a horrible time to buy a new camera and i know that all the new cameras come out between may-september, right? well if somone could help me i would appreciate it like i said i am only a student and would like advice from somone who knows more than me.

gary_hendricks
04-02-2005, 05:12 PM
If you're looking to have space to grow your photography skills, I definitely recommend the D70.

narcolepticmonkey
04-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Well of course i am looking to grow, but can i not grow with the coolpix

speaklightly
04-03-2005, 02:11 PM
narc-

The sad truth is with the CP 8800 you will be saddled with a rather slow camera, and to get a wide angle you will have to with an add-on lens. What you can do is limited by the CP 8800 capabilities.

With the D-70 you have many more features, the ability to gradually add the lenses that you need, and a camera that is going to be usable (only in my opinion) for a lot longer.

Its your choice, pick the camera you feel that suits you best. Personally, if it is feasibile, I would opt for the D-70.

Sarah Joyce

narcolepticmonkey
04-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Well the way market is looking now i personally think that nikon in the next couple months are going to have to come out with a second generation of the d70 to start competing with the new generation of consumer dslrs does anyone else agree so then the d70 will drop in price majorly it already has

D70FAN
04-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Well the way market is looking now i personally think that nikon in the next couple months are going to have to come out with a second generation of the d70 to start competing with the new generation of consumer dslrs does anyone else agree so then the d70 will drop in price majorly it already has

Actually Nikon has accidently announced the D50. A supposed lower cost version of the D70. And also the D70s which is an improved version of the D70 (as hard as that is to believe).

So don't bet on the D70 getting too much cheaper.

narcolepticmonkey
04-03-2005, 08:11 PM
why would it go up if anything they would bring it down

sherlock
04-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Actually Nikon has accidently announced the D50. A supposed lower cost version of the D70. And also the D70s which is an improved version of the D70 (as hard as that is to believe).

So don't bet on the D70 getting too much cheaper.

Hey,

It does seem hard to belive. From what I've read the improvements are basically making the LCD .2" bigger than the original D70, changing USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 (meaningless to me because I use a card reader) and something to do with the remote control. They didnt even change the megapixels, 8mp would have been nice, although it could mean a D200 is coming....

Andrew S.

HotRod
04-03-2005, 09:54 PM
narcolepticmonkey (and whoever else),

the D70 can be had for $830 at B&H! for the body only of course! (which what you wanted)

correct me if im wrong guys but hasnt it been higher just last week?

anyways thats cheaper than the XT body! (at B&H anyways)

mlythaby
04-08-2005, 04:11 AM
I had a Pentax SLR and wanted to go Digital. I bought a Coolpix, I had it 1 day and returned it for a D70.
I found the coolpix very fiddly + in motor drive mode the Digital view finder switched it self off between shots!!
The motor drive (for a want of a better term) on the D70 is amazing.