PDA

View Full Version : Help with Olympus Stylus 300

forevertechie
02-23-2005, 08:24 AM
Hi,
I own a Olympus Stylus 300 Digital camera for about 20 months and for the past couple of days I'm experiencing a weird problem.

When I turn on the camera (either by pressing the "Quick View" button or by opening the shutter cover), the camera would not respond for about 5 seconds. Afterwhich, both the green and orange lights (next to the viewfinder) start flashing with a beep sound for about 10 seconds and then it would turn off on its own. While the lights are flashing, neither the lens moves out, nor the LCD display turns on.

I tried replacing the battery with a good (working) one (that I got from my friend's identical camera that works) and still the problem persists. I went to the extent of replacing my friend's camera with my battery and his camera works fine.

I was worndering did anyone experience this problem. If so, can you please give me some troubleshoot guideliness and/or solution to workaround this problem.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks,
-forevetechie

ecasa
02-23-2005, 10:38 PM
I am haveing the EXACT same issue as you! I have had my camera for about 2 years and this is the first time this happens. I just purchased a new Battery, and still I get that "beep" and flashing Green and Orange lights..

Have you found out what may be causing this?? I am at my wits end..

Let me know.

Thanks
ecasa

forevertechie
03-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I contacted Olympus techsupport and they could not resolve it... it takes $150 to get it repaired and I know for sure it is NOT worth it as a brand new one (with XD card) costs the same amount. In sheer frustration, I opened up the camera (in hopes of resolving the issue) and it was a futile attempt. I've decided to throw mine and get a better/reliable one... (and that will definetely not be an Olympus anymore!!!)

Perhaps you could save some money by returning the battery that you purchased... because when I tried with a brand new battery (borrowed from my friend) it did not work either, although the camera user manual mentions that it is a battery problem!!! In fact its definetely NOT!!!

Best of luck and please let me know if you come across a solution for this problem.

Thanks,
-forevertechie

greymist
04-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I bought my Stylus 300 in August 2003. Two weeks ago the same thing happened to me while on vacation. The camera was working fine, I took some shots during the afternoon and evening. The next morning I slide the cover and the lens does not extend.

I checked the battery, seemed to be OK. When I got home, I found that I could not download the photos off the camera.

I took the camera in and the verdict returned was that the circuit board would have to be replaced. I was told that the flexible board does not allow for components to be individually changed, it's the whole board or nothing.

The cost for repair: $395! The price for a new Stylus 300: $290!! :eek:

To top it off, I bought a 512 MB xD card for my holiday, so now I will be stuck with three xD cards if I don't buy another Olympus!! :mad:

Does anyone know of a site where one might find if this is a common occurence? I am planning on calling Olympus tomorrow to rant at them about the lack of quality, to see if I can at least get a deal on the repair or perhaps a discount on a new camera.

forevertechie
04-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I heard from someone else in this forum that you could get a trade-in price for your non-working Olympus Stylus camera 300 for a brand new Olympus Stylus 400 from Olympus Customer Support. Well, given the fact that a new Olympus stylus 400 costs about $250-$300 range(with no tradein), the trade-in price of $275 offered by Olympus for this offer is as good as saying, "hey why don't you exchange your piece of trash for free and get a brand new camera for only $275". :D

Benchdog
08-23-2005, 08:18 AM
My Stylus 300 just failed with the symptoms described earlier in this thread.. both LEDs next to the viewfinder are blinking and the camera doesn't power up. And yes, according to the user reference manual, I replaced the battery with a new one. Didn't help a bit. I just now found this forum and according to info from earlier posts here, I guess I now have a very expensive paper weight! Thanks to all who posted previously so I don't have to waste time dealing with Olympus tech support or service center!

olympus01
10-13-2005, 06:57 AM
My on off mechanism triggered by sliding the cover has stopped functioning. I removed the cover and attempted various alignments to no avail. Power and other conditions of the camera seem right but of course since it wont start when the cover slides it cannot be used. Any knowledge on this matter? Thanks.

smithkt
10-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I bought my Stylus 300 in August 2003. Two weeks ago the same thing happened to me while on vacation. The camera was working fine, I took some shots during the afternoon and evening. The next morning I slide the cover and the lens does not extend.

I checked the battery, seemed to be OK. When I got home, I found that I could not download the photos off the camera.

I took the camera in and the verdict returned was that the circuit board would have to be replaced. I was told that the flexible board does not allow for components to be individually changed, it's the whole board or nothing.

The cost for repair: $395! The price for a new Stylus 300: $290!! :eek:

To top it off, I bought a 512 MB xD card for my holiday, so now I will be stuck with three xD cards if I don't buy another Olympus!! :mad:

Does anyone know of a site where one might find if this is a common occurence? I am planning on calling Olympus tomorrow to rant at them about the lack of quality, to see if I can at least get a deal on the repair or perhaps a discount on a new camera.

I have nothing to offer in the way of help, but just for your info, the Fuji cameras use the xD cards as well, so if you are considering another brand you may want to consider this. I currently own a Stylus 410 and have been looking at various options as I am unsatisfied with it's ability to take good pictures in anything other than bright light. The Fuji F10 sounds interesting......

BaseballFuries
10-16-2005, 12:24 PM
I bought mine in Spring 04', I used the camera twice. I charge the battery and the camera will not turn on 75% of the time. When the camera does turn on and the LCD screen lights up, the camera lens will not come out. I borrowed a battery from my sister who owns the very same camera and still nothing.

I will never buy another Olympus camera again. Complete waste of money.

bizlor
10-28-2005, 08:18 PM
had same problem with u400. the cause was the motor or the gearing has gotten stuck. I undid the gearing cover just next to the lens and removed gears, turned the motor with my fingers and lightly greased the gears as i returned them.
hope this helps

GenericInternetGuy
11-01-2005, 05:46 AM
I have the exact same problem and I ended up here through Google. Is there really no solution whatsoever? What is causing this? I also ended up buying a new battery for nothing.

There's simply no way I'm going to pay $200-300 to repair this camera when I can buy a new one for that price. I'm afraid that's also Olympus' logic when it comes to the repair rates... Well, the new one sure as hell won't be from them.

Dr-RJP
11-08-2005, 06:31 AM
I've had quite a bit of experience with Olympus cameras, and all I can say about the problems peple are having is that "They don't make 'em like they used to!"

Somewhere along the line, Olympus went on a cost-cutting frenzy, and one of the first casualties of this new marketing strategy is quality and durability. For the past two years, they have been chunking out low-cost digital cameras that cannot hold a candle to those they made seven years ago!

Don't believe me? Take a visit to eBay and notice the hefty prices that four to seven year-old Olympus C-xxxx series camera bring -- even the 2.11 megapixel models.

Olympus deserves to be dissed for the cheaply-made stuff they have been producing of late. The Olympus C-2020 camera, a 2.11 mewgapixel camera introduced in December 1999, and the C-2040, introduced in January 2001, flat-out performs anything you can buy for under $200. Plus, the best part is that you can own a good, used one for under $100.

The same is true for the 3 megapixel variations, the C-3020, C-3030, and C-3040, except that they average around $120-$150 on the used market.

They are solid-metal, light-weight gems that feel and operate like a regular 35mm SLR, and are built like tanks. I've dropped mine several times without incident.

The colors they reproduce are extremely sharp and lifelike.

When it comes to Olympus cameras, newer is definitely NOT better.

Just my 2c worth....

BMX900080
11-25-2005, 09:14 PM
There is a very very easy way to fix this problem..

This can happen if...
1.) If the battery dies when the camera lens is open (and you close it manually, or sometimes, even if you dont.)
2.) If you used a AC adapter with too much voltage or not enough. (this can happen even if you used the correct voltage, refrain from using AC adapters at all)
... all together its ethier a voltage or camera lens problem...

TIPS:
1.)NEVER PUSH THE LENS IN AFTER CAMERA DIES, BUY A NEW BATTERY IMMEDIATLY AND TURN IT BACK ON, CLOSING THE LENS!

2.)NEVER USE AN AC ADAPTER, USE A RECHARGEABLE BATTERY OR A REGULAR BATTERY!

..to fix this...

Do as i say..

1.) Remove battery
2.) Remove front plate (screw driver may be needed)
3.) Check all gears, make sure they are correctly fitted in place)
4.) Move the gear manually to make the lens come out.
5.) keep it out, put the front plate back together.
6.) reinsert the battery, turn it on.

or...
1.) Remove the battery.
2.) Wait about 6-8 hours.
3.) Reinsert the battery.

or...
1.) Remove the battery.
2.) Try hooking it up through AC adapter, put correct voltage.
3.) Try turning it on.
4.) Remove AC adapter, reinsert battery.
5.) Turn it on.

Hopefully all this information helped,

-Sam

jacked up canon
01-06-2006, 11:05 AM
My on off mechanism triggered by sliding the cover has stopped functioning. I removed the cover and attempted various alignments to no avail. Power and other conditions of the camera seem right but of course since it wont start when the cover slides it cannot be used. Any knowledge on this matter? Thanks.

this is my exact problem. first the door just wasn't triggering the on/off switch properly; now, the on/off switch is just swivelling uselessly.

here's my question: i figured out this much: the on/off switch is the little black, plastice swivelling thing beneath the cover. when i open the front plate, the the swivelling thing appears to be some kind of lever, but for the life of me, i can't figure out what the lever triggers on the circuit board. i think that, if i can find that, i might be able to fix it up...i could be misguided...

anyway, anyone who has taken a look inside their 300 know what that lever triggers?

thanks

KingBo
01-10-2006, 11:58 PM
I also can't figure out what the little silver plate connects to on the circuit board.

There are the black little switch, which I also thought would switch the lens on or off.

Then there is the silwer plate standing up and that slides up and down in the cover. Next to this is two litttle silver knobs with two little springs under them. How these three make contact to anything or how they affect anything, I also can't figure out. The black swivel itself though doesn't seem to turn the lens on and off by itself though (cos when I turn it the lens doesn't come out)... that would be far too logical to camera manufactures... Those three other components under the cover must play a role as well, BUT WHAT????

Please, any advice?