PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rebate for Nikon 5400?

richpernai
02-23-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm considering buying a Nikon 5400 camera primarily because of the $200.00 rebate currently offered by Nikon. If not for the rebate, I wouldn't be looking at a camera is this price range. According to Nikon, a camera must be purchsed from an "Authorized Nikon Dealer" and have a specific UPC legend code on the box in order to qualify for the rebate. I'd like to hear details from anyone who has purchased this camera from an on-line seller and successfully received the rebate! I can't afford to spend full price and find out after the fact from Nikon that the purchse doesn't meet their requirements for the rebate. Any first hand experience with this concern is appreciated. Thanks!

Digideb
02-23-2005, 09:03 AM
I haven't had any experience with Nikon, but I don't have much faith in rebates. I feel most companies make it as hard as possible to "qualify" for the rebate in hopes that people won't bother to cash in on them.
Last summer, I bought a Compaq PC from Bestbuy. It was listed with a $100 rebate. By the time I got to the register, my rebate was reduced to $50 because I added some options to the pkg. :mad:
I was determined to at least get that reduced rebate. I "jumped through all the hoops" required & weeks later, I got a noticed in the mail claiming my rebate as "invalid". :eek:
Well, making a long story, short,... I had to argue on the phone & almost gave up,... asked to complain to a manager & then,... FINALLY got my rebate.
Now, I've decided to never count on a rebate when making a purchase. It seems like companies are way too motivated to find reasons not to honor rebates. ;)

richpernai
03-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Digideb, thanks for your comments regarding the rebate "game". To date, eighty (80) readers have viewed my question, but only you have responded. I'm concluding that getting the big bucks rebate from Nikon through these bargain basement on-line sellers is not happening. Later........

propwash
03-03-2005, 07:23 AM
I wouldn't be so hasty. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting the rebate. You just have to make sure if you get the camera from an on-line store, that it has the UPC on the box that the rebate specifies. When I got my Panasonic FZ3, they had a mail in rebate for a free case and battery. I dutifully sent in all the stuff they asked for, and recieved my goodies in about five weeks. I have sent in for many rebates over the years, and only got stiffed once, and that wasn't that big a deal, about $4 or so. If I were in the market for another camera, I would probably go for the 5400 just because of the rebate. Just make sure that you make copies of everything before you send it in. Good luck.

thebac
03-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Buying it online does not invalidate the rebate. The problem is just that those with the cheapest prices might not be authorized sellers.

Before you buy, make sure you go to resellerratings.com to check if they have:
a) lots of feedback
b) most of it positive

Then, call them up and ask them if they are authorized, and selling legitimate product for the US market. Better yet, write them, so you'll get it back in writing. Conversely, some manufacturers will tell you if it's an authorized seller if you ask them, not sure if Nikon is. So you could find a reputable store, then ask Nikon if they are in fact authorized.

Digideb
03-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Digideb, thanks for your comments regarding the rebate "game". To date, eighty (80) readers have viewed my question, but only you have responded. I'm concluding that getting the big bucks rebate from Nikon through these bargain basement on-line sellers is not happening. Later........
You're welcome, Rich. :) As you can see by the other posts here, the lowest priced resellers are not the best source for online ordering.
I'm new with digicams, but I do have quite a bit of shopping experience. I researched cameras on this site & when I knew what I wanted, I checked out the reseller ratings & I ordered my new camera through this site, from B&H Photo in NY. They are a well-established company that many people seem happy with.
This was the 1st camera I've ever bought for myself (other cameras were gifts). This site was very helpful & my buying experience with B&H was perfectly flawless. ;)
As far as rebates go, that's an issue that people have been debating on this forum. Nikon may be a fine company & honor their rebates without hassles, but I'm one of those who doesn't like to "play" the rebate "game. I feel a company should just offer me the good price up front. It just seems like a more honest way to do business.

pokeyman
03-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Nikon's website will give you regional lists. Go to www.coolpix.com, on the top menu, click "Buyer's Guide" - "Where to buy", choose a camera and enter the first three digits of zip code in the box.

Most of the mail-order camera stores are in big cities.

Typical zips:
Manhattan 100xx
Brooklyn 112xx
LA 900xx
Chicago 606xx

Before you buy from a Brooklyn "store", you might want to see what they look like: http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/pictures/BrooklynStores/

pokeyman
03-03-2005, 09:25 AM
That should have been www.nickoncoolpix.com not www.coolpix.com

Sorry! :o

pokeyman
03-03-2005, 09:49 AM
www.nikonusa.com will also work

A word of warning: while Ritz Camera stores and Wolf Camera stores are authorized dealers for many brands, they are in some way legally separate from the online stores ritzcamera.com and wolfcamera.com so I don't know how Nikon would treat purchases from those websites.

Digideb
03-03-2005, 11:37 AM
When I called my local Ritz Camera store, they told me they didn't carry Olympus cameras at all, so they lost me right away. :(
Even though many "questionable" camera dealers seem to be located in New York, B&H Photo is glaring exception to that rule. I bought my new camera from B&H and I had none of the problems I've read about on this forum. I'd recommend them whole-heartedly! ;)

D70FAN
03-03-2005, 05:36 PM
www.nikonusa.com will also work

A word of warning: while Ritz Camera stores and Wolf Camera stores are authorized dealers for many brands, they are in some way legally separate from the online stores ritzcamera.com and wolfcamera.com so I don't know how Nikon would treat purchases from those websites.

Ritz/Wolf is an authorized Nikon dealer. On-line or in the store.

pokeyman
03-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Ritz/Wolf is an authorized Nikon dealer. On-line or in the store.

I hope you're right. I couldn't ascertain whether or not Ritz Interactive, the corporation you would be dealing with at those websites, was considered an authorized dealer.

No matter where you decide to order from, it couldn't hurt to call Nikon USA to verify that the rebate would be valid for that purchase, or even request an "official" rebate form by mail, just to ease your mind and have it on the record.

I second digideb's recommendation for B&H. I have even exchanged a camera I bought there for a different brand with no hassles (7-day return period for digital). If you like shopping for or looking at cameras and photo equipment, treat yourself sometime to a visit to their humongous, well-staffed midtown Manhattan store. I also hear good things about Adorama, another NY store which apparently is owned by the same people.

ggallagjr
04-02-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm considering buying a Nikon 5400 camera primarily because of the $200.00 rebate currently offered by Nikon. If not for the rebate, I wouldn't be looking at a camera is this price range. According to Nikon, a camera must be purchsed from an "Authorized Nikon Dealer" and have a specific UPC legend code on the box in order to qualify for the rebate. I'd like to hear details from anyone who has purchased this camera from an on-line seller and successfully received the rebate! I can't afford to spend full price and find out after the fact from Nikon that the purchse doesn't meet their requirements for the rebate. Any first hand experience with this concern is appreciated. Thanks!

I've recently purchased a Nikon D2X, within the specified time frame,from an authorized Nikon Dealer and dutifully submitted all the required materials including the UPC box cutout and a legible copy of the dealer invoice. I TRIPLE checked the envelope before sealing and mailing in order to insure the contents were complete. Several weeks later I received an "invalid claim" letter from some unknown entity which is apparently managing the rebates. The letter contained no Nikon logo; just a person's name along with a Farmingdale NY address. This letter claimed that no legible bill of sale(invoice?) was received. It also asked for resubmission of this material within 21 days. I immediately contacted Nikon via E-mail. The E-mail reply stated that my file was opened and no invoice was found! Now it is obvious that this document was either misplaced at the rebate center....OR......! I have since mailed the original invoice(blue) to this same office for a second submission and I have taken precautions to establish proof that this material was enclosed. We will see whether this claim is honored or not. If it's the latter, I would appreciate hearing from others who have had a similar experience in order to determine the extent of this practice. It may be necessary to pursue a legal remedy to this situation.

alkiseattle
06-30-2006, 11:14 AM
I just purchased a D2x from B&H (should arrive end of next week) and was going to go through the same rebate procedure you described. It was interesting reading your post. When you say you took extra precautions the second time you shipped the receipt, what were those, if you don't mind me asking.