PDA

View Full Version : Oly Oly Oly, C-7070

Geoff Chandler
02-22-2005, 10:37 AM
I phoned Olympus - after a unproductive chase around - to ask when they are realeasing/shipping - the C-7070.
They informed me that it won't be shipped until March 24th - so despite hopefull ads etc no one will be getting one in England, it seems, until the end of March.
I am dissapointed, frankly. They announced it in Jan to be coming out in Feb. I thought, reasonably, that would give me time to purchase one and get acustomed to it in time for my Sanfransico trip at the end of March (26th I think).
Why do they do that? What is the point of getting people all hopefull only to dissapoint them and delay the goods. It begs the question is there a problem.!!
I had finally made my mind up on this model after a gruelling few months of deliberations. Now I am wondering if I should ditch my loyalty to Olympus and start looking elswhere.
Is the situation any different anywhere else around the globe??

Geoff

Dayton Dave
02-22-2005, 03:15 PM
I bought the C-8080 so I could get on with my life...then news about the 7070. I might be interested if it has less shutter lag, but then again will I be getting something with more red eye, something I am pleased with on the 8080 and would not want to give it up.

That is why I bought it with the ability to return it within 6 months...in case something pops up I would rather have.

Dave

Rex914
02-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Although I expect the 7070 to be slightly better in the area of overall image quality, you can get the 8080 now for the same price as the 7070 or cheaper. And this is in actual stores. I imagine that you could easily get it for under $700 online.

Update - Amazon.com reports an APRIL 10th ship date for the 7070 now, pushed back from its original 2/20 date. Any more delays and this thing is not worth its $700 price tag. It's already going head on against its very competent competitors the G6 and the V3 both of which are $100 less.

Geoff Chandler
02-23-2005, 01:40 AM
Well - the C-7070 is cheaper than the C-8080 in England, or at least I can get it cheaper unless I am greatly mistaken.... just checking - the G6 has come down a lot! - is was around 500= now discount prices around 440 - which is very good!! Oly C-8080 discount prices are around 490= & the C-7070 discount price is around 420= (seen 399= cheapest so far). The Sony DSC-V3 is around 440. Thus far I have avoided the C-8080 as it is to big and heavy for what I want. I was looking at the G6 originally, which I really liked, but one of my main reasons for liking the C-7070/5060 was the wider angle without too much telephoto loss.
I may return to the drawing board on this one - but for now I shall just be patient and wait and see what happens.
Geoff

Rex914
02-23-2005, 03:43 PM
I don't know what the conversion rates are, but here are the prices on each camera. This is for brick and mortar stores. Knock off an extra 5-10% if you shop online.

G6 - $540
V3 - $540
C-8080 - $650-$700
C-7070 - $700

Where are you finding the C-7070 for such a cheap price? Rougly estimating by your figures, that'd come out to something in the high 500's. How in the world do you get a camera so cheap when it hasn't even come out yet?

Geoff Chandler
02-24-2005, 01:22 AM
There's clearly a different skew on prices in the UK!
The RRP price for the C-7070 would be 499= and the expensive little shop nearby will probably be selling at that price. But 20miles down the road in Crawley at Capital Sound and Vision it's just under 420= - My local Jessops day they will attempt to match the price. I didn't get the expensive little shop's price for the C-8080, but typical discount prices (digital-camera.com) would be around 490=. Add to that the fact that it is more bulky than the C-7070 or in fact more to the point - more bulky than I want it means that it is not really a viable option for me. I was originally looking for something smaller then my C-740 ~ but got dragged along by seeing a slightly better option if you just go a little bigger... What I really want is something around the same size as my C-740 - but clearly that isn't going to happen. I am not happy about the additional delay on the C-7070 and I am rapidly loosing confidence in Olympus at the moment - despite loving the image quality on most of their cameras. So, as already mentioned, I may well return to the drawing board on this.
Geoff

jamison55
02-24-2005, 03:08 AM
There's clearly a different skew on prices in the UK!
The RRP price for the C-7070 would be 499= and the expensive little shop nearby will probably be selling at that price. But 20miles down the road in Crawley at Capital Sound and Vision it's just under 420= - My local Jessops day they will attempt to match the price. I didn't get the expensive little shop's price for the C-8080, but typical discount prices (digital-camera.com) would be around 490=. Add to that the fact that it is more bulky than the C-7070 or in fact more to the point - more bulky than I want it means that it is not really a viable option for me. I was originally looking for something smaller then my C-740 ~ but got dragged along by seeing a slightly better option if you just go a little bigger... What I really want is something around the same size as my C-740 - but clearly that isn't going to happen. I am not happy about the additional delay on the C-7070 and I am rapidly loosing confidence in Olympus at the moment - despite loving the image quality on most of their cameras. So, as already mentioned, I may well return to the drawing board on this.
Geoff

Seems to me that you may save a little money by waiting until you come to SF to buy the camera, given the weakness of the dollar... Download the manual now and read it enough times that you will know the camera intimately the first time you pick it up.

Geoff Chandler
02-24-2005, 03:34 AM
Thanks!
The thought crossed my mind too!!
trouble is the customs...
However - I am not going to pushed into rushing because I really wanted the wide angle ~ I'll leave it for now. In my experience when you do these things in a rush you often end up in some kind of regret. Right now me & 'Oly' are not on the happiest terms anyway..not sure I'll even buy another Oly. So best to wait & see how I feel once it's out and easily available.
Geoff

jamison55
02-24-2005, 06:23 AM
Thanks!
trouble is the customs...

I get why you are looking for a smaller camera now...It has to be able to fit in the false bottom of your suitcase :D

Geoff Chandler
02-24-2005, 06:54 AM
No!! It's FAR worse than that!!
When I used to take my SLR's on holiday it caused enormous friction and grief. Now I have my little C-740 - it's no where near as annoying for the family. Being a family man ~ I don't wish to be the cause of unneccesary stress - so I will do my best to keep my cameras a reasonably small size. :D
Geoff

Geoff Chandler
03-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Ditched the C-7070 idea & got a KM A-200 & love it. Very natural pix
Geoff

Rex914
03-05-2005, 10:16 PM
I hate to break it out to you, but the 7070 went up for sale. Must have been very recent like this week.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26166#post26166

Geoff Chandler
03-06-2005, 12:02 PM
That's good - I'll still be interested to know how it fares - but for me I decided to go for a camera that does more of the things that I really want it to do - so the IS is a help (concerts at my Sons school) - the longer zoom helps (200 it quite respectable) I didn't really want n optical viewfinder - I really like using the EVF which I use most of the time, I like the sideways swivel screen as opposed to upwards - and I am happy with the natural presentation of the pictures - so never mind Oly - I still have my trusty C-740 which is great. But the C-7070 didn't make it for me in the end. (It was close - if they hadn't delayed and fudged around I'd probably have got one and forever wished I had a tad more zoom and IS).
Geoff

Jim Last
03-08-2005, 01:37 AM
I'll 2nd that Geoff!

Had been waiting for ages for the C-7070 to arrive.

Had previously had the C-5060 and C-8080. Felt the C-8080 was a great camera but just a tad on the large size for what I was looking for. Felt that the C-8080 had a lot better view finder and lens but the tilt LCD was not that practical, preferred the full tilt and swivel on the C-5060. So I returned the C-8080 and was all set to wait for the C-7070 although still not happy with getting the optical viewfinder. Then Oly started delaying the release, thank goodness they did, as this left me with plenty of time to re evaluate the alternatives. And with plenty of open discussion and accessment with Geoff, we hit upon a relatively unsung hero. The Konica Minolta A200. and as they say the rest is history. Better Lens than the C-7070, better viewfinder, better LCD that tilts and swivels to the side and most of all the 'Anti Shake' technology.

jamison55
03-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Ditched the C-7070 idea & got a KM A-200 & love it. Very natural pix
Geoff

...and how much smaller is the A200 than your SLR?

Geoff Chandler
03-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Don't get us wrong - nothing is perfect - but this did more of the things we wanted and does them well on the whole... OK I expect the macro will be a bit better on the Olympus - but as for me - I have an Olympus with a good macro as well.
As for the size - Jim will let you know - suffice to say dimensions don't tell the whole story - you need to see and hold cameras to get the feel of the size. The lens on the A200 sticks out a bit - giving it a large dimension in that direction - but it's quite small really, and very easy to hold firmly.
Geoff

Jim Last
03-08-2005, 01:46 PM
If comparing the KM A200 to the Olympus cameras it would be;

40% C-8080
40% C-7070
20% C-770

As Geoff said, it is very hard to get a true feel of the size without holding it, I was really shocked at the reality after being slightly scared by the printed dimensions.

With regards to Macro, the KM has the ability to take a relatively cost effective conversion lens under 50 that reduces the minimum focus distance of the lens to approximately 8cm.